EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
The seventh bridge connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan will be financed by the European Union that is ready to donate 16 million euro ($18 million) for that purpose, Mahbuba Abdulloeva, the press secretary of the EU Delegation to Tajikistan, told, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The bridge will connect the Farkhor District of Tajikistan with the northeastern Afghan province of Takhar.
“The project will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation and PATRIP Foundation, its budget amounts to 16 million euro donated by the European Union. The project will be implemented within five years,” Abdulloeva said.
The bridge will replace an existing ferry crossing. The project also implies reconstruction of roads and stabilization of banks of the Panj river.
“The project is expected to boost development of the local private sector and markets promoting peace, sustainability and easing trade procedures in the region,” Abdulloeva said.
There are currently six bridges connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan with five of the having been constructed by the Aga Khan Foundation.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Erdogan doesn’t rule out cooperation with Syria’s Assad on YPG issue
- 24.11.2017Georgia plans to produce electric cars
- 24.11.2017The EU may include Armenia on a blacklist
- 24.11.2017Turkey to seek extradition of 45 coup suspects
- 24.11.2017Turkey welcomes EU decision on terror groups
- 23.11.2017German Social Democrats under pressure to form grand coalition
- 23.11.2017NATO chief says drill incident will not happen again
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani President met with President of Ukraine
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism