EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
The seventh bridge connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan will be financed by the European Union that is ready to donate 16 million euro ($18 million) for that purpose, Mahbuba Abdulloeva, the press secretary of the EU Delegation to Tajikistan, told, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The bridge will connect the Farkhor District of Tajikistan with the northeastern Afghan province of Takhar.
“The project will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation and PATRIP Foundation, its budget amounts to 16 million euro donated by the European Union. The project will be implemented within five years,” Abdulloeva said.
The bridge will replace an existing ferry crossing. The project also implies reconstruction of roads and stabilization of banks of the Panj river.
“The project is expected to boost development of the local private sector and markets promoting peace, sustainability and easing trade procedures in the region,” Abdulloeva said.
There are currently six bridges connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan with five of the having been constructed by the Aga Khan Foundation.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Erdogan says West’s embargo plan against Turkey won’t yield any result
- 25.07.2017Erdogan calls on world Muslims over Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.07.2017Erdogan: Purchasing S-400 from Russia not 'worrying'
- 25.07.2017NATO steps in to resolve Turkey-Germany dispute
- 25.07.2017Turkey: 9 PKK terrorists killed in Hakkari in a week
- 25.07.2017Israel heads towards isolation says Turkish president
- 24.07.2017Polish president blocks judiciary reforms after days of protests
- 24.07.2017Panic in Swiss town after man with chainsaw attacks people
- 24.07.2017US ambassador highlights importance of Georgian region predominantly populated by Azerbaijanis
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 25.01.20176 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in eastern Turkey
- 26.01.2017Redefining a 'special relationship': Trump and May to talk trade
- 26.01.2017Italian court ruling paves way for possible 2017 election
- 24.01.2017Volkswagen plant in Germany extends production stop
- 24.01.2017Belgian parliament fails to pass resolution on lifting of anti-Russia sanctions
- 24.01.2017Another 11,000 families to be supplied with gas in Georgia