EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
The seventh bridge connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan will be financed by the European Union that is ready to donate 16 million euro ($18 million) for that purpose, Mahbuba Abdulloeva, the press secretary of the EU Delegation to Tajikistan, told, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The bridge will connect the Farkhor District of Tajikistan with the northeastern Afghan province of Takhar.
“The project will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation and PATRIP Foundation, its budget amounts to 16 million euro donated by the European Union. The project will be implemented within five years,” Abdulloeva said.
The bridge will replace an existing ferry crossing. The project also implies reconstruction of roads and stabilization of banks of the Panj river.
“The project is expected to boost development of the local private sector and markets promoting peace, sustainability and easing trade procedures in the region,” Abdulloeva said.
There are currently six bridges connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan with five of the having been constructed by the Aga Khan Foundation.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism