EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
The seventh bridge connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan will be financed by the European Union that is ready to donate 16 million euro ($18 million) for that purpose, Mahbuba Abdulloeva, the press secretary of the EU Delegation to Tajikistan, told, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The bridge will connect the Farkhor District of Tajikistan with the northeastern Afghan province of Takhar.
“The project will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation and PATRIP Foundation, its budget amounts to 16 million euro donated by the European Union. The project will be implemented within five years,” Abdulloeva said.
The bridge will replace an existing ferry crossing. The project also implies reconstruction of roads and stabilization of banks of the Panj river.
“The project is expected to boost development of the local private sector and markets promoting peace, sustainability and easing trade procedures in the region,” Abdulloeva said.
There are currently six bridges connecting Tajikistan and Afghanistan with five of the having been constructed by the Aga Khan Foundation.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 09.06.2018Russia’s return to G7 requires implementation of Minsk Agreements — Merkel
- 09.06.2018Merkel says differences on trade remain despite joint G7 communique
- 09.06.2018Arab leaders to hold meeting with King Abdullah over Jordan crisis
- 09.06.2018Bomb kills one and wounds 14 in Iraq's Kirkuk
- 09.06.2018UK: Boris Johnson's Brexit remarks cause controversy
- 08.06.2018Three tourists die in Georgia rafting accident
- 08.06.2018Russian, US military leaders to meet in Helsinki
- 08.06.2018Vienna to host possible meeting between Putin and Trump
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism