EU to extend sanctions against Russia
The EU on Thursday agreed to prolong economic sanctions targeting specific sectors of the Russian economy for another six months, APA reports quoting AA.
Sanctions were extended as “the Minsk agreements have still not been fully implemented” and in response to Russia's actions destabilizing the situation in Ukraine.
“This decision follows an update from President Macron and Chancellor Merkel to the European Council of 14 December 2017 on the state of implementation of the Minsk agreements,” the EU stated.
The European Council said the sanctions specifically target the financial, energy and defense sectors, and dual-use goods.
The EU first agreed to impose economic sanctions against Russia in 2014 due over Russia’s role in the Ukraine conflict.
Ukraine has been wracked by conflict since March 2014 following Russia’s annexation of Crimea after an illegal independence vote.
The UN General Assembly voted to proclaim the Russian annexation illegal.
Russia’s annexation led Western powers, including the U.S., to impose sanctions against Moscow.
Along with the UN General Assembly, the U.S., the EU, and Turkey do not recognize Crimea as Russian territory.
Related news releases
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London
- 22.12.2017Majority of EU states back UN’s Jerusalem resolution
- 22.12.2017Catalan separatists win majority in snap elections
- 22.12.2017Erdogan: UN vote shows once again that world is bigger than five
- 21.12.2017Turkish minister: FETO is 'dynamite' for host countries
- 20.12.2017Merkel, SPD agree on timetable for coalition talks
- 20.12.2017Foreigners traveling to Georgia by vehicles may be required insurance