EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini on Monday said the EU expects no external interference in Lebanon’s internal affairs, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Speaking to reporters after a meeting in Brussels, Mogherini said, “We appeal first of all to the political forces to focus on Lebanon and what they can deliver to their citizens, [and] Prime Minister Hariri to return to his country”.
Last week, Hariri abruptly announced his resignation in a televised address delivered from Saudi Arabia.
Mogherini said, “We expect no external interference in this national agenda”.
“It is essential to avoid importing into Lebanon regional conflicts, regional dynamics, regional tensions that have to stay out of the country,” she added.
Mogherini also said that all political parties in Lebanon should work together.
Hariri's resignation, which has yet to be endorsed by Lebanese President Michel Aoun, came amid tension between Saudi Arabia and Iran.
Hariri was appointed prime minister late last year. Before his Nov. 4 resignation, he led a 30-member government that included Hezbollah.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis
- 10.11.2017Catalan parliament speaker released from Spanish jail
- 10.11.2017More than 100 PKK terrorists killed in 1 week in Turkey
- 10.11.2017Car rams into crowd near school in Southern France
- 10.11.2017Spanish Supreme Court frees Catalan parliament speaker on bail
- 10.11.2017UK's May picks Brexiteer to replace scandal-hit aid minister
- 09.11.2017Albania issues arrest warrant for FETO fugitive
- 09.11.2017OSCE PA President steps down, Vice-President to serve as President
- 09.11.2017French president not ruling out sanctions over Iran's ballistic missile program
- 09.11.2017Serbia summons envoy to Ukraine for consultations
- 09.11.2017British aid minister Patel resigns in new test for PM May
- 08.11.20174 Daesh terrorists arrested in central Turkey
- 08.11.2017Catalonia crisis: Spain could allow referendums, says FM
- 08.11.2017Turkey, US discuss mutual legal assistance
- 08.11.2017Catalan secessionist parties fail to agree on unity ticket for December vote
- 07.11.2017Saakashvili announced on December 3, a “people’s impeachment”
- 07.11.2017Marneuli new head executive to take office on November 12
- 06.11.2017Turkey arrests 29 terror suspects
- 05.11.2017Poroshenko, Tillerson discuss UN International Mission deployment in Donbass
- 05.11.2017Thousands protest against coal use ahead of climate Summit in Bonn
- 04.11.2017Britain's ruling Conservatives suspend lawmaker, refer his case to police
- 04.11.2017Turkey opens its first humanoid robotics factory
- 04.11.2017Italy seizes 100 tonnes of diesel on ship sailing from Libya
- 04.11.2017Turkish foreign minister, US top diplomat discuss ties
- 04.11.2017Some 700 migrants rescued in Mediterranean, 23 found dead
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor