Erdogan: Why did Russia enter Georgia and Ukraine?
As many as 18 IS militants were killed in the attack on the Bashiqa camp in Nineveh province, about 140 kilometers (90 miles) from the Turkish border, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters, Today’s Zaman reported.
There was no casualty among the Turkish troops, he said.
Erdogan said the incident vindicated a Turkish decision to deploy troops in the camp and reiterated that the Turkish deployment had been in coordination with the Iraqi government despite recent Iraqi protests against the Turkish military presence.
Erdogan said the Iraqi position has changed after Turkey’s relations with Russia deteriorated following the downing of a Russian jet by Turkish F-16s near the border with Syria in late November and criticized the Russian military involvement in Syria.
“Russia says it is in Syria because it was invited by the Syrian government. The Syrian government is not a legitimate government,” he said. “Why did you send forces to Georgia then? Because you were invited? Did you send forces to Ukraine because you were invited there?”
Erdogan also rejected that Russian forces are fighting IS in Syria. “Turkmens say Russia bombs their villages. Russia is not fighting against IS,” he said.
“Yesterday, I received Bayirbucak Turkmens, they said that their village is under constant bombardment. Unfortunately, this is the situation, but they are trying to mislead the world community,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 27.10.2016Turkey gives US more files on FETO leader Gulen
- 27.10.2016Turkey asks NATO to end anti-migration Aegean mission
- 27.10.2016Canada, EU reach last-minute free-trade deal
- 27.10.2016NATO accuses Russia of aggravating situation in Aleppo
- 27.10.2016Calais Jungle camp clearance accomplished, prefect says
- 26.10.2016Strong earthquakes hit central Italy
- 26.10.2016Turkish, French and US defense ministers discuss operations against ISIL
- 26.10.2016EU calls for truce in Aleppo to allow humanitarian aid
- 26.10.2016Turkish envoy criticizes BBC program on refugee labor
- 25.10.2016Over 1,000 moved from Calais camp: French minister
- 25.10.2016EU to extend Schengen border controls for three months
- 25.10.2016French president calls for vigilance after Mosul attack
- 25.10.201610 injured in explosion in Antalya trade chamber carpark - UPDATED
- 25.10.20164 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 25.10.2016British PM warns Scotland not to 'undermine' Brexit
- 25.10.2016France clears 'Jungle' migrant camp in Calais
- 24.10.2016Migrant protests erupt in Greece over poor living conditions
- 23.10.2016PM Yildirim: "Turkey’s presidential term to be 5 years"
- 23.10.2016Rescuers save 2,400 migrants in Mediterranean, recover 14 bodies
- 22.10.2016Turkish President repeats call for 'terror-free zone' in Syria
- 22.10.2016Italy rescues more than 3K migrants off Libyan coast
- 22.10.2016US defense secretary stresses alliance with Turkey
- 22.10.2016Turkish diplomats seek asylum in Germany after coup bid
- 21.10.2016Pentagon chief: Turkey should be involved in Mosul operation
- 21.10.2016Turkish Foreign Ministry official to visit Moscow next week
- 21.10.2016EC calls on EU states to determine visa waiver mechanism with Turkey
- 20.10.2016European development bank to fund new Turkish hospital
- 20.10.2016NATO chief Stoltenberg welcomes Humanitarian Pause in Aleppo read
- 20.10.2016Instability in Middle East Result of West's geopolitical practices - Lavrov
- 20.10.2016Russia's Putin says need to quicken work on new Syrian constitution
- 20.10.2016Poroshenko: "Russia agreed on deployment of an OSCE police mission in Donbass"
- 20.10.2016Oil prices jump on big U.S. crude stock drawdown
- 20.10.2016Italian judge sends 23 to trial in Berlusconi sex bribery case
- 20.10.2016Croatia parliament approves new conservative-led cabinet
- 19.10.2016Steinmeier sees small progress in Ukraine settlement
- 19.10.2016Putin, Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko start talks on situation in Ukraine
- 19.10.2016EU refugee deal could collapse: Turkey's EU minister
- 19.10.2016ISIS terrorist captured dead in Ankara
- 19.10.2016Russian and Turkish presidents discuss Mosul offensive, Syrian crisis in phone talks
- 19.10.2016Belgian jets could be behind airstrike killing 6 people near Aleppo
- 08.01.2016Two soldiers martyred in southeast Turkey PKK attacks
- 08.01.2016Germany: Cologne incidents about 'criminality, not refugees'
- 09.01.2016EU pushes Libya peace as IS claims deadly blasts
- 08.01.2016Turkey summons Iran’s ambassador over Erdogan broadcast
- 08.01.2016Britain's Cameron woos Berlin and Budapest in EU reform battle
- 08.01.2016Istanbul prosecutor denies earlier report on airport blast