Erdogan: Why did Russia enter Georgia and Ukraine?
As many as 18 IS militants were killed in the attack on the Bashiqa camp in Nineveh province, about 140 kilometers (90 miles) from the Turkish border, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters, Today’s Zaman reported.
There was no casualty among the Turkish troops, he said.
Erdogan said the incident vindicated a Turkish decision to deploy troops in the camp and reiterated that the Turkish deployment had been in coordination with the Iraqi government despite recent Iraqi protests against the Turkish military presence.
Erdogan said the Iraqi position has changed after Turkey’s relations with Russia deteriorated following the downing of a Russian jet by Turkish F-16s near the border with Syria in late November and criticized the Russian military involvement in Syria.
“Russia says it is in Syria because it was invited by the Syrian government. The Syrian government is not a legitimate government,” he said. “Why did you send forces to Georgia then? Because you were invited? Did you send forces to Ukraine because you were invited there?”
Erdogan also rejected that Russian forces are fighting IS in Syria. “Turkmens say Russia bombs their villages. Russia is not fighting against IS,” he said.
“Yesterday, I received Bayirbucak Turkmens, they said that their village is under constant bombardment. Unfortunately, this is the situation, but they are trying to mislead the world community,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 27.09.2016Turkey vital for Europe, says UK FM
- 27.09.2016U.S. hotels in Adana, Turkey, could be targets of attacks -U.S. consulate
- 27.09.2016Armenian nuclear plant should be shut down: Turkey
- 27.09.2016Portugal's Guterres leads race for U.N. chief after fifth ballot
- 27.09.2016'Ottoman' Boris Johnson makes first visit to Turkey since Erdogan poem
- 26.09.2016Police say man opens fire, injuring two, near supermarket west of Paris
- 26.09.2016At least 10 Turkish troops killed in PKK attacks
- 25.09.2016Hollande vows to tear down notorious Calais refugee camp
- 25.09.2016Massive explosion rocks crowded street in Budapest injuring two police officers
- 24.09.2016Turkish vessel sinks off Sicily coast, 16 crew members rescued
- 24.09.2016EU to Create New Office to Return Undocumented Migrants - Commissioner
- 24.09.2016Video emerges of N Carolina shooting - VİDEO
- 24.09.2016Hungary PM says Europe should process refugees in Libya
- 23.09.2016Dutch Air Force Commander: More virtual training needed on F-35s
- 23.09.2016Erdogan urges cooperation with US to 'finish off İSİS'
- 23.09.2016Turkey wants to bring cooperation with Russia to higher than pre-crisis level
- 22.09.2016Rocket fired from Syria lands in southern Turkey, six injuries
- 22.09.20162 PKK terrorists killed in operation in eastern Turkey
- 22.09.2016Village guard martyred in southeast Turkey
- 22.09.2016Greece to House Refugees on Ferries Following Massive Fire at Moria Camp
- 22.09.2016Russian, Turkish leaders discuss Syria, bilateral ties
- 22.09.2016Turkish army destroys 103 Daesh targets in north Syria
- 21.09.2016Assailant prevented from breaking into Israeli embassy in Ankara
- 21.09.2016Erdogan slams EU’s failure to keep promises to Turkey
- 21.09.2016Turkish President urges world leaders to immediately take all necessary steps against FETO
- 20.09.2016Turkish president: " West may not, but we will keep on admitting Syrian refugees"
- 20.09.2016Turkish FM: "Turkey continues to support Syria truce"
- 20.09.2016EU to slap sanctions on ISIS, al-Qaeda
- 20.09.2016German economic growth to slow down in Q3: central bank
- 20.09.20162 Italians, Canadian abducted by gunmen in S. Libya
- 20.09.2016Juncker needs no protection from tough questions, EU says
- 17.09.2016Protests in Germany against transatlantic TTIP and CETA trade deals
- 17.09.2016Two soldiers killed, four wounded in clashes with PKK in Turkey
- 17.09.2016Bratislava summit shows Europe can move forward, Hollande says
- 17.09.2016Hungarian PM says EU migrant policy self-destructive, Germany should cap numbers
- 17.09.2016Merkel says EU reform agenda from Bratislava a first but key step
- 16.09.2016Ex-Italian president Carlo Azeglio Ciampi dead at 95
- 16.09.20169 killed in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 16.09.2016Over 60 Protesters Against Labor Bill Arrested in France
- 16.09.2016Catalonia's Altafaj urges EU to apply pressure on Spain to open dialog
- 08.01.2016Two soldiers martyred in southeast Turkey PKK attacks
- 08.01.2016Germany: Cologne incidents about 'criminality, not refugees'
- 09.01.2016EU pushes Libya peace as IS claims deadly blasts
- 08.01.2016Turkey summons Iran’s ambassador over Erdogan broadcast
- 08.01.2016Britain's Cameron woos Berlin and Budapest in EU reform battle
- 08.01.2016Istanbul prosecutor denies earlier report on airport blast