Erdogan: Why did Russia enter Georgia and Ukraine?
As many as 18 IS militants were killed in the attack on the Bashiqa camp in Nineveh province, about 140 kilometers (90 miles) from the Turkish border, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters, Today’s Zaman reported.
There was no casualty among the Turkish troops, he said.
Erdogan said the incident vindicated a Turkish decision to deploy troops in the camp and reiterated that the Turkish deployment had been in coordination with the Iraqi government despite recent Iraqi protests against the Turkish military presence.
Erdogan said the Iraqi position has changed after Turkey’s relations with Russia deteriorated following the downing of a Russian jet by Turkish F-16s near the border with Syria in late November and criticized the Russian military involvement in Syria.
“Russia says it is in Syria because it was invited by the Syrian government. The Syrian government is not a legitimate government,” he said. “Why did you send forces to Georgia then? Because you were invited? Did you send forces to Ukraine because you were invited there?”
Erdogan also rejected that Russian forces are fighting IS in Syria. “Turkmens say Russia bombs their villages. Russia is not fighting against IS,” he said.
“Yesterday, I received Bayirbucak Turkmens, they said that their village is under constant bombardment. Unfortunately, this is the situation, but they are trying to mislead the world community,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2017Prisoner should have Lithuania internet access - Europe court
- 18.01.2017Britain to leave EU market as May sets 'hard Brexit' course
- 18.01.2017Antonio Tajani to be next European Parliament head
- 17.01.2017French presidential candidate urges France to lead policy independent from NATO
- 17.01.2017France supports Astana meeting goals on Syria settlement - Foreign Ministry
- 17.01.2017Libyan wins right to sue UK officials over rendition
- 17.01.2017Reina nightclub attacker who killed 39 nabbed in Istanbul
- 17.01.2017Davos Forum kicks off
- 17.01.2017European Parliament to elect new president on Tuesday
- 17.01.2017Hollande on Trump's NATO remarks: Europe needs no policy advice from abroad read
- 17.01.2017Britain will not seek 'half in, half out' EU deal: PM May
- 17.01.2017Istanbul nightclub attacker arrested
- 16.01.2017Hundreds of U.S. Marines land in Norway, irking Russia
- 16.01.2017EU concerned over Serbia-Kosovo tensions following stopped train incident
- 16.01.2017Watchdog notes Iran's commitment to nuclear deal
- 16.01.2017Turkey: Referendum on constitution expected in April
- 16.01.2017Germany's Steinmeier says NATO concerned at Trump remarks
- 15.01.2017Iceland ready to organize summit for Trump, Putin
- 15.01.2017Belgian police carrying out counterterrorism operation in Brussels’ Molenbeek
- 14.01.2017No change to constitution's basic articles: Turkish PM
- 14.01.2017Turkey and Russia to invite U.S. to Syria talks: Turkish minister
- 14.01.2017Palestine opens embassy to the Vatican
- 14.01.2017Azerbaijani MP says he hasn’t left Saakashvili’s party
- 14.01.2017Two Turkish soldiers killed in anti-PKK operation
- 14.01.2017Turkey remands 2 foreigners linked to Istanbul attack
- 14.01.2017Turkish MPs pass Article 9 of new Constitution
- 13.01.2017Turkish Cypriots tell UN Greek Cypriot map unacceptable
- 13.01.20172 killed, 5 injured in building collapse in Istanbul
- 13.01.2017Prosecutor seeks life sentence for Armenian assailants
- 13.01.2017Norwegian mass murderer says prison isolation 'damaged' him
- 13.01.2017Wall Street closes lower as bank stocks decline
- 13.01.2017Turkish MPs pass Article 6 of new Constitution
- 12.01.2017Migrant flow to Europe must be prevented: Hungarian PM
- 12.01.2017Samsung chief questioned by prosecutors in South Korea political scandal
- 12.01.2017EU parliament committee approves vise-free regime with Georgia
- 12.01.2017Russian ambassador’s assassin to be buried in paupers’ cemetery
- 12.01.2017Turkish legislators acuffle in debate
- 12.01.2017Turkey parliament adopts new constitution’s articles - UPDATED
- 12.01.2017Giant telescope to search for alien life in Alpha centauri
- 11.01.2017Belarus abolishes visa requirements for 80 states for 5-day period
- 08.01.2016Two soldiers martyred in southeast Turkey PKK attacks
- 08.01.2016Germany: Cologne incidents about 'criminality, not refugees'
- 09.01.2016EU pushes Libya peace as IS claims deadly blasts
- 08.01.2016Turkey summons Iran’s ambassador over Erdogan broadcast
- 08.01.2016Britain's Cameron woos Berlin and Budapest in EU reform battle
- 08.01.2016Istanbul prosecutor denies earlier report on airport blast