Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday vowed to boost animal protection laws in Turkey following the launch of a probe against a suspect linked to the killing of a puppy, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
“Protecting animals is not only a task, but also part of our belief, our humanity. Animals are not a commodity, but living being,” Erdogan said in a series of tweets.
While expressing his sorrow, Erdogan said a new ministerial bill for animal rights will be prioritized following June 24 elections.
“In 2004, we passed the Animal Protection Act [No. 5199], the first independent law to protect animals. We will also prioritize the government's draft, which contains new sanctions on animal rights, in the new period,” he said.
The president called on all Turks to be sensitive on the issue of protecting animals.
On Friday, a puppy succumbed to its wounds in western Sakarya province after it was found in a forest with its “front feet cut with a hard object and the back feet most likely ruptured” due to its skin peeling off, a veterinarian told Anadolu Agency.
A probe was launched against the suspect I.M., a construction machine operator.
Onur Cakmak, the veterinarian who responded to the puppy after it suffered for at least 10 hours, said it was unclear whether the killing of the puppy was an accident or deliberate.
Related news releases
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.07.2018Britain to double Western Balkans funding, security staff
- 10.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu to mull Israel-Palestine issue, Syrian conflict
- 10.07.2018Turkish President Erdogan unveils 16-minister cabinet
- 09.07.2018Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit
- 08.07.2018An American family, who promoted Azerbaijan carpet weaving, dies in Georgia
- 08.07.2018UK police officer allegedly exposed to nerve agent poisoning
- 07.07.2018France's Macron to attend World Cup game in Russia
- 07.07.2018PM May will sack foreign minister Johnson if he undermines Brexit deal: Times
- 07.07.2018Belgium advance to World Cup semifinals, Brazil out
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone