Erdogan rejects regime shift after referendum
"In my 40 years of political life, I have had no such claims to change the regime," Erdogan said in an interview aired live on state-broadcaster TRT.
He said the debates on regime change in the country ended in 1923, when Mustafa Kemal Ataturk established modern Turkey as a republic.
"But this [government] system is not responding to [current] needs," Erdogan said.
Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) has claimed during its 'No' campaign that the constitutional change would lead to a regime change.
Erdogan said that almost all polls predicted a 'Yes' victory.
"Some predict the rate to be below 55 percent while others say it is likely to be between 55-60 percent," he said.
Sunday’s referendum in Turkey addresses a host of constitutional reforms that would hand wide-ranging executive powers to the president.
The post of prime minister would be abolished and the president would also be allowed to retain ties to a political party.
Other changes include the minimum age of parliamentary candidates reduced to 18 and the number of deputies increased to 600.
Also, simultaneous parliamentary and presidential elections for a five-year term would be held in November 2019 under the new Constitution.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 15.04.2017On Good Friday, Pope speaks of shame for Church and humanity
- 15.04.2017Turkey to hold constitutional referendum tomorrow
- 15.04.2017TurkPA observer mission monitors nation-wide referendum in Turkey
- 15.04.2017More than 2,000 migrants rescued in dramatic day in Mediterranean
- 15.04.20171 soldier, 1 village guard martyred in eastern Turkey
- 14.04.2017French presidential race tightens further as vote looms