Erdogan, Macron discuss Afrin operation over phone
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron discussed Turkey’s ongoing Operation Olive Branch in Syria’s northwestern region of Afrin over the phone, a Turkish presidential source said on Saturday, APA reports quoting AA.
According to the source, Erdogan and Macron also exchanged views on bilateral relations and on the outcome of the Syrian National Dialogue Congress held in the Russian coastal city of Sochi this past week.
Erdogan shared information about Operation Olive Branch and informed Macron about the cross-border rocket attacks perpetrated by the terrorist PYD/PKK oraganization on Turkey's bordering Hatay and Kilis provinces.
During the conversation, Erdogan said Turkey does not have any design on any country’s territory and added the operation was aimed at clearing PYD/PKK, YPG and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
The leaders agreed to keep close contact oreagarding regional issues, particularly on the political process in Syria.
Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch on Jan. 20 to clear PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin in northwestern Syria.
Since the start of the operation, PYD/PKK cross-border attacks on civilians have killed at least seven people and injured over 100.
According to the Turkish General Staff, Operation Olive Branch aims to establish security and stability along Turkey’s borders and the region as well as protect Syrians from terrorist oppression and cruelty.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council resolutions, its self-defense rights under the UN Charter, and respect for Syria's territorial integrity.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 11.02.2018SBU detained an Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol
- 11.02.2018The biggest problem of Ukraine is corruption – Poroshenko
- 10.02.2018Anti-racism protest after migrant shooting in Italy
- 10.02.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani Diaspora meet with Finnish Ambassador to South Caucasus
- 10.02.2018Turkish FM spokesman slams US remarks on FETO convict
- 05.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan arrives in Vatican
- 05.02.2018Netherlands recalls ambassador to Turkey
- 05.02.2018Ukraine court rejects Saakashvili extradition protection appeal
- 04.02.2018Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu re-elected as CHP chair
- 03.02.2018Leading Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan arrested in Paris
- 03.02.2018Turkey strikes major blow to PYD/PKK terrorists