Erdogan, Macron discuss Afrin operation over phone
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron discussed Turkey’s ongoing Operation Olive Branch in Syria’s northwestern region of Afrin over the phone, a Turkish presidential source said on Saturday, APA reports quoting AA.
According to the source, Erdogan and Macron also exchanged views on bilateral relations and on the outcome of the Syrian National Dialogue Congress held in the Russian coastal city of Sochi this past week.
Erdogan shared information about Operation Olive Branch and informed Macron about the cross-border rocket attacks perpetrated by the terrorist PYD/PKK oraganization on Turkey's bordering Hatay and Kilis provinces.
During the conversation, Erdogan said Turkey does not have any design on any country’s territory and added the operation was aimed at clearing PYD/PKK, YPG and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.
The leaders agreed to keep close contact oreagarding regional issues, particularly on the political process in Syria.
Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch on Jan. 20 to clear PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin in northwestern Syria.
Since the start of the operation, PYD/PKK cross-border attacks on civilians have killed at least seven people and injured over 100.
According to the Turkish General Staff, Operation Olive Branch aims to establish security and stability along Turkey’s borders and the region as well as protect Syrians from terrorist oppression and cruelty.
The operation is being carried out under the framework of Turkey’s rights based on international law, UN Security Council resolutions, its self-defense rights under the UN Charter, and respect for Syria's territorial integrity.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Britain disappointed after Trump cancels North Korea summit: UK PM May
- 24.05.2018Turkey slams French magazine slandering Erdogan
- 24.05.2018Train derailment in northern Italy kills 2, over a dozen Injured
- 23.05.2018Turkey has means to curtail currency shifts: President
- 23.05.2018Yulia Skripal - Attempted assassination turned my world upside down
- 22.05.2018UK calls refusal from Iran nuclear deal catastrophe
- 22.05.2018UK Foreign Secretary remarks effectiveness of US Sanctions against Russia
- 22.05.2018German foreign minister says to meet with Pompeo over Iran deal
- 22.05.2018Pentagon warns of taking necessary steps against Iran
- 22.05.2018Erdogan: Turkey to not give up on Jerusalem
- 21.05.2018PKK terrorists on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 12.05.2018Aircraft crash in Spain's Catalonia leaves 3 people killed
- 12.05.2018Turkish minister warns EU over post-Brexit UK role
- 12.05.2018Police raid night clubs in Tbilisi, arrest 8 people for drug trafficking
- 12.05.2018White House urges 'responsible nations' to press Iran to change behavior
- 12.05.2018UK's May and Trump agree talks needed over Iranian sanctions
- 11.05.2018Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout
- 11.05.2018Turkish president to visit UK on May 13
- 11.05.2018Deputy FM: Georgia, Azerbaijan ensure peace and stability in region
- 05.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan arrives in Vatican
- 05.02.2018Netherlands recalls ambassador to Turkey
- 05.02.2018Ukraine court rejects Saakashvili extradition protection appeal
- 04.02.2018Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu re-elected as CHP chair
- 03.02.2018Leading Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan arrested in Paris
- 03.02.2018Turkey strikes major blow to PYD/PKK terrorists