Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the remarks in a statement to CNN International of the possibility of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system targeting Turkish warplanes in case they enter Syrian airspace.
Erdogan did not rule out the possibility of such an incident.
“In this case Turkey will be forced to take measures that will certainly not be discussed. And of course it would be an aggression against our rights of sovereignty and it’s the natural right of the state to protect those rights. We do not want to see any escalation of the situation in the region. We do not want to become a party to that. But those who side with Syria and escalate the tension, I think, are the responsible parties to this,” the Turkish president stressed.
Asked whether he saw the moving of the Russian S-400s into western Syria as a threat to Turkey and other coalition members who may be flying sorties in this region, the Turkish president said Russia has been providing military support to Syria since long ago – since the rain of Bashar Al-Assad’s father.
“Russia has sold or given this kind of systems to Syria. It’s impossible to say that this is something new and did not take place last year,” said Erdogan.
Related news releases
- 24.08.2016Italy government monitoring situation after 6.2 magnitude earthquake: spokesman
- 24.08.2016Strong quake hits central Italy, brings down buildings - UPDATED
- 23.08.2016Turkish FM: "Nearly 90 Turkish Foreign Ministry staff fired, 332 suspended in Post-Coup Purge"
- 23.08.2016OSCE FMs to meet in Germany on Sept.1
- 23.08.2016Kremlin says Putin, Merkel, Hollande to meet to discuss Ukraine on Sept. 4-5 at G20
- 23.08.20162 PKK terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 23.08.2016Turkish army targets Daesh, PYD positions in Syria
- 22.08.2016Turkey recalls its ambassador to Vienna
- 22.08.2016France: Sarkozy declares presidential election candidacy
- 22.08.2016Turkish PM does not 'approve' Israeli attack on Gaza
- 22.08.2016Greece: Hearing continues for Turkish pro-coup soldiers
- 22.08.2016Georgia detains 7 on charges of planning to explode Russia-Armenia gas pipeline
- 21.08.2016Sadiq Khan: Jeremy Corbyn 'failed to show leadership needed'
- 21.08.2016German right-wing leader backs citizens' right to arm themselves
- 21.08.2016Turkish Prime Minister admits possibility of use of Incirlik base by Russia
- 20.08.2016Biden holds calls with Cyprus president, Turkish Cypriot leader: White House
- 19.08.201618 Prime Ministry staff held in Turkey coup bid probe
- 19.08.2016PKK militant group claims responsibility for car bomb attack in eastern Turkey
- 19.08.2016U.S. confirms existence of nuclear weapons in Turkey
- 19.08.2016Scottish minister hails migrants' contribution to local society
- 19.08.2016Uber makes moves for self-driving technology
- 18.08.2016Manchester airport evacuated after suspicious bag found
- 18.08.2016Local leaders slam UK over Syrian child refugees
- 18.08.2016Austria FM, politicians call for ban on full Hijab
- 18.08.2016Turkish president says Gulen behind PKK
- 18.08.2016Three soldiers killed in roadside bomb explosion in Turkey
- 18.08.20163 killed, 71 injured in terror attack in eastern Turkey
- 18.08.2016Merkel says refugees didn't bring terrorism to Germany
- 18.08.2016Bomb attack on police station in eastern Turkey
- 18.08.201640,029 detained following coup attempt in Turkey - UPDATED
- 18.08.2016Greece: 8 refugees sent back to Turkey
- 17.08.2016Thirteen passengers badly injured when French train hits fallen tree
- 17.08.2016Two killed in aircraft accident in Turkey’s Tekirdağ
- 17.08.2016Serbian President to Biden: "Serbia not to introduce anti-Russia sanctions"
- 17.08.2016Turkish police detain 50 businessmen suspected of Gulen links
- 17.08.2016Turkey: Mavi Marmara compensation bill submitted
- 16.08.20164 dead in Greek boat collision
- 16.08.2016Turkish FM and U.S. Secretary of State discuss extradition of Fetullah Gulen
- 16.08.2016Turkish prosecutors demand two life sentences for Gulen
- 16.08.2016Zaman newspaper columnist arrested
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition