Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the remarks in a statement to CNN International of the possibility of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system targeting Turkish warplanes in case they enter Syrian airspace.
Erdogan did not rule out the possibility of such an incident.
“In this case Turkey will be forced to take measures that will certainly not be discussed. And of course it would be an aggression against our rights of sovereignty and it’s the natural right of the state to protect those rights. We do not want to see any escalation of the situation in the region. We do not want to become a party to that. But those who side with Syria and escalate the tension, I think, are the responsible parties to this,” the Turkish president stressed.
Asked whether he saw the moving of the Russian S-400s into western Syria as a threat to Turkey and other coalition members who may be flying sorties in this region, the Turkish president said Russia has been providing military support to Syria since long ago – since the rain of Bashar Al-Assad’s father.
“Russia has sold or given this kind of systems to Syria. It’s impossible to say that this is something new and did not take place last year,” said Erdogan.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2016Hollande vows to tear down notorious Calais refugee camp
- 25.09.2016Massive explosion rocks crowded street in Budapest injuring two police officers
- 24.09.2016Turkish vessel sinks off Sicily coast, 16 crew members rescued
- 24.09.2016EU to Create New Office to Return Undocumented Migrants - Commissioner
- 24.09.2016Video emerges of N Carolina shooting - VİDEO
- 24.09.2016Hungary PM says Europe should process refugees in Libya
- 23.09.2016Dutch Air Force Commander: More virtual training needed on F-35s
- 23.09.2016Erdogan urges cooperation with US to 'finish off İSİS'
- 23.09.2016Turkey wants to bring cooperation with Russia to higher than pre-crisis level
- 22.09.2016Rocket fired from Syria lands in southern Turkey, six injuries
- 22.09.20162 PKK terrorists killed in operation in eastern Turkey
- 22.09.2016Village guard martyred in southeast Turkey
- 22.09.2016Greece to House Refugees on Ferries Following Massive Fire at Moria Camp
- 22.09.2016Russian, Turkish leaders discuss Syria, bilateral ties
- 22.09.2016Turkish army destroys 103 Daesh targets in north Syria
- 21.09.2016Assailant prevented from breaking into Israeli embassy in Ankara
- 21.09.2016Erdogan slams EU’s failure to keep promises to Turkey
- 21.09.2016Turkish President urges world leaders to immediately take all necessary steps against FETO
- 20.09.2016Turkish president: " West may not, but we will keep on admitting Syrian refugees"
- 20.09.2016Turkish FM: "Turkey continues to support Syria truce"
- 20.09.2016EU to slap sanctions on ISIS, al-Qaeda
- 20.09.2016German economic growth to slow down in Q3: central bank
- 20.09.20162 Italians, Canadian abducted by gunmen in S. Libya
- 20.09.2016Juncker needs no protection from tough questions, EU says
- 17.09.2016Protests in Germany against transatlantic TTIP and CETA trade deals
- 17.09.2016Two soldiers killed, four wounded in clashes with PKK in Turkey
- 17.09.2016Bratislava summit shows Europe can move forward, Hollande says
- 17.09.2016Hungarian PM says EU migrant policy self-destructive, Germany should cap numbers
- 17.09.2016Merkel says EU reform agenda from Bratislava a first but key step
- 16.09.2016Ex-Italian president Carlo Azeglio Ciampi dead at 95
- 16.09.20169 killed in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 16.09.2016Over 60 Protesters Against Labor Bill Arrested in France
- 16.09.2016Catalonia's Altafaj urges EU to apply pressure on Spain to open dialog
- 15.09.2016Merkel, Hollande in crisis talks ahead of crucial EU Summit in Slovakia
- 15.09.2016Donald Trump is a problem for whole world, EU's Schulz says
- 15.09.2016EU renews Ukraine-related sanctions
- 15.09.2016French police arrest another teenager suspected of plotting attack
- 15.09.2016Turkish army hits Daesh position in northern Syria
- 15.09.2016Germany and France see fresh momentum from Ukraine ceasefire
- 14.09.2016EU should be stronger 'militarily' - Juncker
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition