Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the remarks in a statement to CNN International of the possibility of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system targeting Turkish warplanes in case they enter Syrian airspace.
Erdogan did not rule out the possibility of such an incident.
“In this case Turkey will be forced to take measures that will certainly not be discussed. And of course it would be an aggression against our rights of sovereignty and it’s the natural right of the state to protect those rights. We do not want to see any escalation of the situation in the region. We do not want to become a party to that. But those who side with Syria and escalate the tension, I think, are the responsible parties to this,” the Turkish president stressed.
Asked whether he saw the moving of the Russian S-400s into western Syria as a threat to Turkey and other coalition members who may be flying sorties in this region, the Turkish president said Russia has been providing military support to Syria since long ago – since the rain of Bashar Al-Assad’s father.
“Russia has sold or given this kind of systems to Syria. It’s impossible to say that this is something new and did not take place last year,” said Erdogan.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2016All staff of Munich hospitals urgently summoned to workplaces — media
- 23.07.201610 killed, 21 injured in Munich shooting attack- UPDATED-4
- 23.07.2016Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland gov'ts should OK Brexit deal: Welsh first minister
- 23.07.2016Turkey: Bank Asya's banking license cancelled
- 23.07.2016Turkey: 283 Presidential Guard soldiers in custody
- 23.07.2016Gunmen kill at least eight in Munich shopping mall, shooters on the run
- 22.07.2016A suspected judge calls Gulen 'The Mahdi' arrested
- 22.07.2016Turkey: 28 arrested in search for Twitter whistleblower
- 22.07.2016Russia lifts ban on flights to Turkey
- 22.07.2016Nice terror attack suspects appear before investigating judge
- 22.07.2016Erdogan tells Turks to continue anti-coup protests
- 22.07.2016Tayyip Erdogan: "Standard & Poor's agency had sided with the coup, not with democracy"
- 22.07.2016Turkish President: "A new coup attempt was possible but would not be easy"
- 21.07.2016Turkish Airlines says flights to operate normally
- 21.07.2016French parliament adopts controversial labor reforms after months of protest
- 21.07.2016Yasin Aktay: "Turkish pilot made decision to shoot down Russian Su-24 jet himself"
- 21.07.2016French president urges UK to launch EU exit process
- 21.07.2016Turkish parliament ratifies 3-month state of emergency
- 21.07.2016Turkey coup attempt: Over 1,000 government officials on the run
- 21.07.2016Turkey awaits proper response from US on Gulen extradition, says ambassador
- 21.07.2016Turkey to temporarily suspend European Convention on Human Rights in wake of coup
- 21.07.2016Bodies of 21 women, one man found on migrant boat in Mediterranean
- 21.07.2016Erdogan: We will not let minority dominate majority
- 21.07.2016Turkey: 112 suspects remanded in custody over coup bid
- 21.07.2016Turkish president declares 3-month state of emergency in wake of attempted coup - UPDATED-1
- 21.07.2016French lawmakers extend state of emergency after Nice attack
- 21.07.2016Erdogan's chief military aide remanded over coup bid
- 21.07.2016Turkey moves to shutter hundreds of Gulenist schools
- 21.07.2016I learned about the coup attempt from my brother-in-law: Erdoğan
- 20.07.2016Germany fears more 'lone wolf' attacks after train rampage
- 20.07.2016Some 22,000 education staff suspended in coup probe
- 20.07.2016Turkey cancels alleged coup leader's pension
- 20.07.2016Meeting of Turkish National Security Council kicks off
- 20.07.2016Turkish parliament administrators sacked after failed coup
- 20.07.2016Turkey names new acting commander of gendarmerie
- 20.07.2016WikiLeaks releases thousands of Turkey gov’t emails
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani oil price rises
- 20.07.2016Turkey to convene National Security Council today
- 20.07.2016Slovenia to reopen embassy in Tehran
- 20.07.2016Polish Foreign Ministry confirms two nationals dead in nice truck attack
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition