Erdogan: Downing of Turkish jet with S-400 missile would mean aggression
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the remarks in a statement to CNN International of the possibility of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system targeting Turkish warplanes in case they enter Syrian airspace.
Erdogan did not rule out the possibility of such an incident.
“In this case Turkey will be forced to take measures that will certainly not be discussed. And of course it would be an aggression against our rights of sovereignty and it’s the natural right of the state to protect those rights. We do not want to see any escalation of the situation in the region. We do not want to become a party to that. But those who side with Syria and escalate the tension, I think, are the responsible parties to this,” the Turkish president stressed.
Asked whether he saw the moving of the Russian S-400s into western Syria as a threat to Turkey and other coalition members who may be flying sorties in this region, the Turkish president said Russia has been providing military support to Syria since long ago – since the rain of Bashar Al-Assad’s father.
“Russia has sold or given this kind of systems to Syria. It’s impossible to say that this is something new and did not take place last year,” said Erdogan.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2016PM Yildirim: "Turkey’s presidential term to be 5 years"
- 23.10.2016Rescuers save 2,400 migrants in Mediterranean, recover 14 bodies
- 22.10.2016Turkish President repeats call for 'terror-free zone' in Syria
- 22.10.2016Italy rescues more than 3K migrants off Libyan coast
- 22.10.2016US defense secretary stresses alliance with Turkey
- 22.10.2016Turkish diplomats seek asylum in Germany after coup bid
- 21.10.2016Pentagon chief: Turkey should be involved in Mosul operation
- 21.10.2016Turkish Foreign Ministry official to visit Moscow next week
- 21.10.2016EC calls on EU states to determine visa waiver mechanism with Turkey
- 20.10.2016European development bank to fund new Turkish hospital
- 20.10.2016NATO chief Stoltenberg welcomes Humanitarian Pause in Aleppo read
- 20.10.2016Instability in Middle East Result of West's geopolitical practices - Lavrov
- 20.10.2016Russia's Putin says need to quicken work on new Syrian constitution
- 20.10.2016Poroshenko: "Russia agreed on deployment of an OSCE police mission in Donbass"
- 20.10.2016Oil prices jump on big U.S. crude stock drawdown
- 20.10.2016Italian judge sends 23 to trial in Berlusconi sex bribery case
- 20.10.2016Croatia parliament approves new conservative-led cabinet
- 19.10.2016Steinmeier sees small progress in Ukraine settlement
- 19.10.2016Putin, Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko start talks on situation in Ukraine
- 19.10.2016EU refugee deal could collapse: Turkey's EU minister
- 19.10.2016ISIS terrorist captured dead in Ankara
- 19.10.2016Russian and Turkish presidents discuss Mosul offensive, Syrian crisis in phone talks
- 19.10.2016Belgian jets could be behind airstrike killing 6 people near Aleppo
- 18.10.2016At least 15 reportedly taken hostage in Belgium supermarket
- 18.10.2016Merkel, Hollande to discuss Syria with Putin
- 18.10.2016Explosion at BASF facility in Germany kills one, injures at least six
- 16.10.2016Lausanne talks have good consensus that could lead to Syria ceasefire - Kerry
- 16.10.2016Greek PM says economy will return to growth this year
- 16.10.2016No ceasefire agreement reached at Lausanne meeting on Syria - Turkish FM
- 15.10.2016Turkish PM slams foreign media's coverage of Turkey
- 15.10.20165.2 magnitude quake shakes Black Sea, tremors felt in Istanbul
- 15.10.2016Twin earthquakes hit Turkey’s Manisa
- 14.10.2016Turkey 'determined' to take part in Mosul offensive
- 14.10.2016Greece returns 60 migrants to Turkey under EU deal
- 14.10.2016Erdogan lashes out at Hillary Clinton
- 14.10.2016French Senate adopts bill criminalizing denial of so-called Armenian genocide
- 14.10.2016PKK terrorists kill 3 soldiers with remote controlled explosives in SE Turkey
- 14.10.2016Turkey's Antalya hit by rockets, no casualties reported
- 14.10.2016PKK roadside bombs leave 12 Turkish servicemen wounded
- 14.10.2016Poroshenko, Merkel plan trilateral Summit on Ukraine in coming days
- 27.11.2015France sees Syrian regime participating in anti-IS fight
- 27.11.2015Erdogan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- 28.11.2015Merkel under pressure from her own ahead of EU migration summit
- 27.11.2015Turkey seeks to calm tensions with Russia after jet downed: PM Davutoglu in UK Times
- 27.11.2015Davutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 27.11.2015Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition