Erdoğan comments on French president’s remarks
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Sept. 1 he was not at the point of clearing up his French counterpart President Emmanuel Macron’s remarks on speaking with him, as he noted he saw it as a positive thing for them.
“Honestly, I am not at the point of figuring out what he [Macron] meant. That needs to be learned from Mr. Macron. I only know one thing, since they request to talk, I would not want to turn them down, because I want to gain friends and lessen those who look at us in a negative way. However, I do not think negatively [of the remarks] given to that magazine, but on the contrary, that speaking with the President of Turkey is a positive thing for them,” Erdoğan told reporters after prayers for the Eid al-Adha celebration.
The French president had said on Aug. 30 that life as a world leader was less “cool” than it might seem, referring to talks with Erdoğan as an example.
In an interview with Le Point magazine, Macron was asked if he was trying to be the new “cool” kid on the global stage.
“The global stage is not really a ‘cool’ scene, you know,” he replied.
“I am the one who has to speak with Erdoğan every 10 days,” he said as an example. He did not elaborate.
The last known conversation between Macron and Erdoğan was on Aug. 27, when they discussed the fate of aFrenchjournalist jailed in Turkey.
An aide to Macron later said the French president had not meant to mock or criticize his Turkish counterpart.
“The conversations with Mr. Erdoğan are always very serious,” the aide explained.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 11.02.2018SBU detained an Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol
- 11.02.2018The biggest problem of Ukraine is corruption – Poroshenko
- 10.02.2018Anti-racism protest after migrant shooting in Italy
- 01.09.2017Margvelashvili: Muslim community of Georgia is an integral part of our society
- 01.09.2017US Marine Corps’ military arrive in Georgia
- 02.09.2017Erdogan continues telephone diplomacy on Myanmar crisis
- 01.09.2017President Erdoğan says US indictment of guards from Washington brawl a ‘scandal’
- 31.08.2017OSCE Office in Yerevan officially closed
- 31.08.2017Eight people wounded due to explosion during passage of prison bus in western Turkey