Erdoğan comments on French president’s remarks
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Sept. 1 he was not at the point of clearing up his French counterpart President Emmanuel Macron’s remarks on speaking with him, as he noted he saw it as a positive thing for them.
“Honestly, I am not at the point of figuring out what he [Macron] meant. That needs to be learned from Mr. Macron. I only know one thing, since they request to talk, I would not want to turn them down, because I want to gain friends and lessen those who look at us in a negative way. However, I do not think negatively [of the remarks] given to that magazine, but on the contrary, that speaking with the President of Turkey is a positive thing for them,” Erdoğan told reporters after prayers for the Eid al-Adha celebration.
The French president had said on Aug. 30 that life as a world leader was less “cool” than it might seem, referring to talks with Erdoğan as an example.
In an interview with Le Point magazine, Macron was asked if he was trying to be the new “cool” kid on the global stage.
“The global stage is not really a ‘cool’ scene, you know,” he replied.
“I am the one who has to speak with Erdoğan every 10 days,” he said as an example. He did not elaborate.
The last known conversation between Macron and Erdoğan was on Aug. 27, when they discussed the fate of aFrenchjournalist jailed in Turkey.
An aide to Macron later said the French president had not meant to mock or criticize his Turkish counterpart.
“The conversations with Mr. Erdoğan are always very serious,” the aide explained.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017EU Foreign Policy Chief sees ‘no need’ to renegotiate Iran nuclear agreement
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss Syrian peace plan next week
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 08.09.2017French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 01.09.2017Margvelashvili: Muslim community of Georgia is an integral part of our society
- 01.09.2017US Marine Corps’ military arrive in Georgia
- 02.09.2017Erdogan continues telephone diplomacy on Myanmar crisis
- 01.09.2017President Erdoğan says US indictment of guards from Washington brawl a ‘scandal’
- 31.08.2017OSCE Office in Yerevan officially closed
- 31.08.2017Eight people wounded due to explosion during passage of prison bus in western Turkey