Elderly woman found dead in snow as cold front sweeps Greece
An elderly woman was found dead in snow on Saturday, and an aground freighter was rescued in the Agean Sea, as a cold front sweeps across Greece, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The 80-year-old victim went missing on Friday. Her body was found near her home in northern Peloponnese peninsula, southern Greece, according to local authorities.
Meanwhile, the 12-member crew of the freighter which ran aground off Mykonos island in the Aegean sea was rescued.
The Panama-flagged freighter LITTLE SEYMA, with nine Ukrainians and three Azeris on board, was transferring 2,700 tons of flour from Russia to Cyprus, when it ran aground. The mariners have been safely transferred to Mykonos, the Coast Guard said.
With wind velocity reaching up to eight on the Beaufort scale since Friday, many ferryboats have remained docked at ports across Greece.
Temperatures throughout the country have lowered to between zero and 10 degrees Celsius. The low temperatures along with intense snowfall and heavy rainfall have worsened the traffic conditions, which have been already strained during a peak time for the Christmas holidays.
Civil protection authorities have cautioned motorists in press announcements to put snow chains on their vehicles, as meteorologists forecast more ice on roads in the coming days and a probable White Christmas.
Related news releases
- 24.01.2018'260 terrorists neutralized' in Operation Olive Branch
- 24.01.2018At U.N., Russia proposes new inquiry into chemical attacks in Syria
- 24.01.2018Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Turkish army chief says all terrorists to pay price
- 23.01.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Georgia should have strong defense capabilities – U.S. envoy
- 23.01.2018U.S. delivers first batch of military equipment to Georgia
- 23.01.2018London van attacker meant to kill Muslims: Prosecutors
- 23.01.2018US officials arrive in Ankara to discuss Syria
- 23.01.2018Afrin op will go on until 'last terrorist neutralized'
- 22.01.2018Turkey: Operation in Syria targets terror groups
- 22.01.2018Turkey's gross debt climbs to $231.3B in 2017
- 22.01.2018Turkey’s Erdogan says Afrin operation won’t end before reaching its goal
- 22.01.2018Survey: 27% of Romanians in favor of unification with Moldova
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani schoolboy dies of meningococcemia in Georgia
- 22.01.2018Religious history teaching could be resumed in Georgian schools
- 22.01.2018Railway tunnel explosion in Georgia leaves 3 injured
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 24.12.2017Former prime minister Yatsenyuk detained at Geneva airport
- 24.12.2017Chancellor of Austria: Turkey has no place in the European Union
- 24.12.2017NATO chief warns of Russian submarine capability
- 24.12.2017Over 20 migrants held in northwestern Turkey
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani ambassador congratulates Georgia’s patriarch
- 23.12.2017Germany, France call for acceleration of fulfillment of Minsk agreements