Elderly woman found dead in snow as cold front sweeps Greece
An elderly woman was found dead in snow on Saturday, and an aground freighter was rescued in the Agean Sea, as a cold front sweeps across Greece, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The 80-year-old victim went missing on Friday. Her body was found near her home in northern Peloponnese peninsula, southern Greece, according to local authorities.
Meanwhile, the 12-member crew of the freighter which ran aground off Mykonos island in the Aegean sea was rescued.
The Panama-flagged freighter LITTLE SEYMA, with nine Ukrainians and three Azeris on board, was transferring 2,700 tons of flour from Russia to Cyprus, when it ran aground. The mariners have been safely transferred to Mykonos, the Coast Guard said.
With wind velocity reaching up to eight on the Beaufort scale since Friday, many ferryboats have remained docked at ports across Greece.
Temperatures throughout the country have lowered to between zero and 10 degrees Celsius. The low temperatures along with intense snowfall and heavy rainfall have worsened the traffic conditions, which have been already strained during a peak time for the Christmas holidays.
Civil protection authorities have cautioned motorists in press announcements to put snow chains on their vehicles, as meteorologists forecast more ice on roads in the coming days and a probable White Christmas.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 24.12.2017Former prime minister Yatsenyuk detained at Geneva airport
- 24.12.2017Chancellor of Austria: Turkey has no place in the European Union
- 24.12.2017NATO chief warns of Russian submarine capability
- 24.12.2017Over 20 migrants held in northwestern Turkey
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani ambassador congratulates Georgia’s patriarch
- 23.12.2017Germany, France call for acceleration of fulfillment of Minsk agreements