Egypt blocks UNSC condemnation of coup attempt in Turkey
Baku-APA. The United Nations Security Council failed on Saturday to condemn the coup attempt in Turkey after Egypt objected to a statement that called on all parties to "respect the democratically elected government of Turkey," diplomats said, APA reports quoting AA.
The U.S.-drafted statement also expressed grave concern over the situation in Turkey, urged the parties to show restraint, avoid any violence or bloodshed, and called for an urgent end to the crisis and return to rule of law.
Statements by the 15-member Security council have to be agreed by consensus.
Diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Egypt argued that the U.N. Security Council was not in a position to determine whether a government had been democratically elected.
Egypt's mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Millions of people flocked to squares and streets in Turkey to crush an attempted military coup on Saturday. People got on tanks, disarmed coup soldiers and took back control at raided institutions as hundreds of coup soldiers surrendered.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is a former general who overthrew democratically-elected President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 after mass protests against Mursi. Many countries, including Turkey, condemned the military coup conducted by the current president of Egypt and provided support for the Muslim Brotherhood.
Related news releases
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 12.08.2017Merkel backs UN proposal to take more refugees
- 12.08.2017Mogherini to convene EU Security Committee meeting over situation with N. Korea
- 11.08.2017Turkey: Soldier, civilian martyred in clash with PKK
- 11.08.2017Georgian Foreign Ministry calls on Russia to give up aggressive steps
- 11.08.2017Issue concerning Azerbaijani-medium schools to be raised at Georgian parliamentary committee
- 11.08.2017Ties between Russia, Turkey 'promising', says new envoy
- 10.08.2017Czech police ask parliament to allow prosecution of PM candidate Babis
- 10.08.2017Chairperson of Georgian opposition party planning to visit occupied territories
- 10.08.2017Chief of Staff of US Army visits Georgia
- 10.08.2017Turkish police detain Russian-origin militant planning to down US plane with drone at air base
- 10.08.2017Georgia to launch large-scale infrastructure projects in 2018
- 10.08.2017Erdogan to make changes in party before 2019 election
- 09.08.2017Attack on French soldiers: Suspect is Algerian known for small offenses
- 09.08.2017Number announced of Azerbaijani citizens who violated Georgian migration legislation
- 08.08.2017Georgian Embassy issues a statement on Russia-Georgia war anniversary
- 08.08.2017Wildfire death toll in Italy rises to five
- 08.08.2017Elysee palace to issue 'transparency charter' on role of French president's wife
- 07.08.201754 Azerbaijani citizens serve sentences in Georgian prisons
- 07.08.2017Armenian citizen who killed woman and her child in Georgia sentenced to 10 years in prison
- 07.08.2017Armenian citizen detained in Georgia for illegally bringing seafood
- 06.08.2017UK ready to pay up to 40 billion euros to leave EU
- 17.07.2016French police mistakenly storm elderly couple's apartment after Nice attack
- 17.07.2016UK Brexit minister offers no guarantees to new EU arrivals
- 18.07.2016Turkish Interior Ministry suspends 8,777 officials after failed coup attempt - UPDATED
- 17.07.2016Turkish helicopter leaves for Greece to return highjacked aircraft
- 16.07.2016Turkey orders 2,745 judges and prosecutors to be detained after coup
- 16.07.2016Turkish President urges US to extradite Fetullah Gulen