Egypt blocks UNSC condemnation of coup attempt in Turkey
Baku-APA. The United Nations Security Council failed on Saturday to condemn the coup attempt in Turkey after Egypt objected to a statement that called on all parties to "respect the democratically elected government of Turkey," diplomats said, APA reports quoting AA.
The U.S.-drafted statement also expressed grave concern over the situation in Turkey, urged the parties to show restraint, avoid any violence or bloodshed, and called for an urgent end to the crisis and return to rule of law.
Statements by the 15-member Security council have to be agreed by consensus.
Diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Egypt argued that the U.N. Security Council was not in a position to determine whether a government had been democratically elected.
Egypt's mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Millions of people flocked to squares and streets in Turkey to crush an attempted military coup on Saturday. People got on tanks, disarmed coup soldiers and took back control at raided institutions as hundreds of coup soldiers surrendered.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is a former general who overthrew democratically-elected President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 after mass protests against Mursi. Many countries, including Turkey, condemned the military coup conducted by the current president of Egypt and provided support for the Muslim Brotherhood.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Spain must thwart attempt to split the country - King Felipe VI
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani wounded in armed incident in Georgia in critical condition
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani ambassador visits those wounded in armed attack in Georgia’s Marneuli
- 20.10.2017US ambassador calls armed incident in Georgia’s Marneuli ‘an unacceptable violence’
- 20.10.2017Georgian Interior Ministry issues statement on armed attack on five people in Marneuli
- 20.10.2017Merkel says EU leaders favour dialogue with Turkey
- 20.10.2017EU leaders seek Brexit talks progress
- 19.10.2017Erdogan questions US partnership over visa row
- 19.10.2017European Parliament president: Europe will not recognize independent Catalonia
- 19.10.2017Spanish government to suspend Catalonia's political autonomy
- 19.10.2017Catalonia to formally declare independence if Spain suspends regional autonomy: source
- 18.10.2017600 int’l observers to monitor elections in Georgia
- 18.10.2017Majority of discrimination cases in Georgia occur on religious, ethnic grounds
- 18.10.2017UK's Brexit minister says there is no plan to leave Brexit talks
- 17.10.2017Catalans hold rally in Barcelona to support jailed leaders
- 17.10.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.10.2017Polish President Duda says hopes Turkey will join EU
- 17.10.2017Ten suspects allegedly 'plotting to kill' politicians arrested in France
- 17.10.201712 wounded in bomb attack against police shuttle in Turkey’s Mersin
- 17.10.2017Georgia detains Armenian citizen over cigarette smuggling
- 17.10.2017Ukrainian police report some 6,000 attending rallies in central Kyiv
- 17.10.2017Two Catalonian leaders behind independence movement detained for sedition
- 17.10.2017Turkish court frees US Consulate worker’s wife, child
- 16.10.20172 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017Turkey closes airspace for flights to northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017EU defends Iran deal despite Trump, appeals to U.S. Congress
- 16.10.2017Two killed as Storm Ophelia lashes Ireland, UK
- 16.10.2017Former Turkish CHP head Deniz Baykal taken to hospital over severe influenza
- 15.10.2017Cargo plane crash off Ivory Coast kills four Moldovans
- 15.10.2017Poland doctors demand better pay, hike in funding for health care system
- 14.10.2017Turkey, Russia seen coordinating on Syria
- 14.10.2017Turkey welcomes Hamas-Fatah reconciliation
- 14.10.2017IAEA: Tehran Implements All Commitments Under Iran Nuclear Deal
- 14.10.2017EU's top diplomat defends Iran deal after Trump speech
- 13.10.2017Turkish army chief inspects troops near Syrian border
- 13.10.2017France's Azoulay wins UNESCO director general election
- 13.10.2017Over 220 illegal migrants held in Turkey
- 13.10.2017Several injured after gunman opens fire in Sweden
- 12.10.2017Brexit talks with UK in 'disturbing deadlock': EU
- 12.10.2017Georgian president calls for ‘unified strategy’ against Russia
- 17.07.2016French police mistakenly storm elderly couple's apartment after Nice attack
- 17.07.2016UK Brexit minister offers no guarantees to new EU arrivals
- 18.07.2016Turkish Interior Ministry suspends 8,777 officials after failed coup attempt - UPDATED
- 17.07.2016Turkish helicopter leaves for Greece to return highjacked aircraft
- 16.07.2016Turkey orders 2,745 judges and prosecutors to be detained after coup
- 16.07.2016Turkish President urges US to extradite Fetullah Gulen