Egypt blocks UNSC condemnation of coup attempt in Turkey
Baku-APA. The United Nations Security Council failed on Saturday to condemn the coup attempt in Turkey after Egypt objected to a statement that called on all parties to "respect the democratically elected government of Turkey," diplomats said, APA reports quoting AA.
The U.S.-drafted statement also expressed grave concern over the situation in Turkey, urged the parties to show restraint, avoid any violence or bloodshed, and called for an urgent end to the crisis and return to rule of law.
Statements by the 15-member Security council have to be agreed by consensus.
Diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Egypt argued that the U.N. Security Council was not in a position to determine whether a government had been democratically elected.
Egypt's mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Millions of people flocked to squares and streets in Turkey to crush an attempted military coup on Saturday. People got on tanks, disarmed coup soldiers and took back control at raided institutions as hundreds of coup soldiers surrendered.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is a former general who overthrew democratically-elected President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 after mass protests against Mursi. Many countries, including Turkey, condemned the military coup conducted by the current president of Egypt and provided support for the Muslim Brotherhood.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London
- 13.03.2018Turkish PM's 2-day Azerbaijan visit starts Wednesday
- 13.03.2018Moscow vows to respond to UK threats to impose sanctions over Skripal case
- 13.03.2018UK counter-terror police investigate death
- 13.03.201810 dead, 18 injured as bus crashes into parked truck in Turkey
- 13.03.2018Euro zone to unlock new loans to Greece, working on debt relief
- 13.03.2018Turkish soldier martyred in Afrin, Syria
- 12.03.2018UK's May says 'highly likely' Russia behind nerve attack on spy
- 12.03.2018Local Azerbaijanis protest against decision of Georgian district executive head
- 17.07.2016French police mistakenly storm elderly couple's apartment after Nice attack
- 17.07.2016UK Brexit minister offers no guarantees to new EU arrivals
- 18.07.2016Turkish Interior Ministry suspends 8,777 officials after failed coup attempt - UPDATED
- 17.07.2016Turkish helicopter leaves for Greece to return highjacked aircraft
- 16.07.2016Turkey orders 2,745 judges and prosecutors to be detained after coup
- 16.07.2016Turkish President urges US to extradite Fetullah Gulen