Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
Turkish family minister said she was en route to Germany with a police escorting her after hours of argument in an effort to enter Turkish consulate in Rotterdam, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya said on her Twitter account that she was being taken to Germany via Nijmegen border with "democratic and humanitarian values trampled underfoot."
Kaya condemned the treatment by Dutch authorities and said: "The whole world should take a stance against such a fascist implementation in the name of democracy."
"This treatment against a woman minister can never be accepted", she wrote.
Earlier, the minister was declared 'persona non grata' and would be deported early Sunday, according to Dutch RTL television.
The move came amid tension after the Dutch authorities barred Turkish envoy from entering the Rotterdam Turkish general consulate and also canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit.
Meanwhile, the public channel NOS TV announced several security guards of the minister were detained.
On Saturday, Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit and blocked family minister's convoy from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
Thousands of people gathered outside of Turkish consulate in sport of the family minister, who later left the are with a police escort. Dutch police used guard dogs, batons to disperse the protesters.
The ministers were due to meet Turkish society ahead of April 16 referendum which will see a constitutional amendment.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling AKP urges 160 countries where FETO network operates to be careful
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling party says July 15 coup attempt was backed by foreign forces
- 14.07.2017Democracy watch' rallies to start at midnight July 15
- 12.03.2017Turkish EU Minister: Dutch approach ‘exactly fascism’
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM postpones Swiss visit
- 12.03.2017Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban