Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
Turkish family minister said she was en route to Germany with a police escorting her after hours of argument in an effort to enter Turkish consulate in Rotterdam, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya said on her Twitter account that she was being taken to Germany via Nijmegen border with "democratic and humanitarian values trampled underfoot."
Kaya condemned the treatment by Dutch authorities and said: "The whole world should take a stance against such a fascist implementation in the name of democracy."
"This treatment against a woman minister can never be accepted", she wrote.
Earlier, the minister was declared 'persona non grata' and would be deported early Sunday, according to Dutch RTL television.
The move came amid tension after the Dutch authorities barred Turkish envoy from entering the Rotterdam Turkish general consulate and also canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit.
Meanwhile, the public channel NOS TV announced several security guards of the minister were detained.
On Saturday, Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit and blocked family minister's convoy from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
Thousands of people gathered outside of Turkish consulate in sport of the family minister, who later left the are with a police escort. Dutch police used guard dogs, batons to disperse the protesters.
The ministers were due to meet Turkish society ahead of April 16 referendum which will see a constitutional amendment.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 12.03.2017Turkish EU Minister: Dutch approach ‘exactly fascism’
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM postpones Swiss visit
- 12.03.2017Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban