Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
Turkish family minister said she was en route to Germany with a police escorting her after hours of argument in an effort to enter Turkish consulate in Rotterdam, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya said on her Twitter account that she was being taken to Germany via Nijmegen border with "democratic and humanitarian values trampled underfoot."
Kaya condemned the treatment by Dutch authorities and said: "The whole world should take a stance against such a fascist implementation in the name of democracy."
"This treatment against a woman minister can never be accepted", she wrote.
Earlier, the minister was declared 'persona non grata' and would be deported early Sunday, according to Dutch RTL television.
The move came amid tension after the Dutch authorities barred Turkish envoy from entering the Rotterdam Turkish general consulate and also canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit.
Meanwhile, the public channel NOS TV announced several security guards of the minister were detained.
On Saturday, Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit and blocked family minister's convoy from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
Thousands of people gathered outside of Turkish consulate in sport of the family minister, who later left the are with a police escort. Dutch police used guard dogs, batons to disperse the protesters.
The ministers were due to meet Turkish society ahead of April 16 referendum which will see a constitutional amendment.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2017Merkel: EU's Tusk to seek talks with Erdogan
- 29.04.2017EU states agree on Brexit guidelines: EC head Tusk
- 29.04.2017Current Speaker of Albanian Parliament elected President
- 29.04.2017Macedonian Crisis: Bulgarian leader calls for respect of democracy amid clashes
- 29.04.2017Four Turkish soldiers hurt in landmine blast
- 28.04.2017Strong winds cause damage across Georgia’s Poti
- 28.04.2017PACE president comments on calls for his resignation
- 28.04.2017Uncertainty grows over Agramunt’s presidency of PACE
- 28.04.2017Croatian PM rules out early election
- 28.04.2017Macedonian police fire stun grenades after protesters storm parliament
- 28.04.2017Protesters stormed into Macedonia's parliament and assaulted MPs - VIDEO
- 28.04.2017Turkish President: EU cannot question our democracy
- 27.04.2017Turkish supreme electoral body approves results of constitutional referendum
- 27.04.2017Soldier suspected of planning terror attack in Germany
- 27.04.2017Turkey’s ruling party to convene extraordinary congress on May 21
- 27.04.2017Russian warship sinks after collision off Istanbul coast, all soldiers rescued
- 27.04.2017Remains of 19th century Russian soldier found in Turkey
- 26.04.2017France's Hollande tells ministers to ensure big election defeat for Le Pen
- 26.04.2017FM Cavusoglu: Turkey will reconsider its relations with Council of Europe
- 26.04.2017Czech parliament adopts resolution condemning so-called “Armenian genocide”
- 26.04.2017Erdogan slams 'political' Council of Europe decision
- 26.04.2017Brexit takes center stage as Britain's election battle continues
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 12.03.2017Turkish EU Minister: Dutch approach ‘exactly fascism’
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM postpones Swiss visit
- 12.03.2017Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban