Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
Turkish family minister said she was en route to Germany with a police escorting her after hours of argument in an effort to enter Turkish consulate in Rotterdam, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya said on her Twitter account that she was being taken to Germany via Nijmegen border with "democratic and humanitarian values trampled underfoot."
Kaya condemned the treatment by Dutch authorities and said: "The whole world should take a stance against such a fascist implementation in the name of democracy."
"This treatment against a woman minister can never be accepted", she wrote.
Earlier, the minister was declared 'persona non grata' and would be deported early Sunday, according to Dutch RTL television.
The move came amid tension after the Dutch authorities barred Turkish envoy from entering the Rotterdam Turkish general consulate and also canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit.
Meanwhile, the public channel NOS TV announced several security guards of the minister were detained.
On Saturday, Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit and blocked family minister's convoy from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
Thousands of people gathered outside of Turkish consulate in sport of the family minister, who later left the are with a police escort. Dutch police used guard dogs, batons to disperse the protesters.
The ministers were due to meet Turkish society ahead of April 16 referendum which will see a constitutional amendment.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 08.09.2017French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 05.09.2017EU will continue talks with Turkey: Mogherini
- 04.09.2017Swiss offers mediation role in N. Korean nuke crisis
- 12.03.2017Turkish EU Minister: Dutch approach ‘exactly fascism’
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM postpones Swiss visit
- 12.03.2017Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban