Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
Turkish family minister said she was en route to Germany with a police escorting her after hours of argument in an effort to enter Turkish consulate in Rotterdam, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya said on her Twitter account that she was being taken to Germany via Nijmegen border with "democratic and humanitarian values trampled underfoot."
Kaya condemned the treatment by Dutch authorities and said: "The whole world should take a stance against such a fascist implementation in the name of democracy."
"This treatment against a woman minister can never be accepted", she wrote.
Earlier, the minister was declared 'persona non grata' and would be deported early Sunday, according to Dutch RTL television.
The move came amid tension after the Dutch authorities barred Turkish envoy from entering the Rotterdam Turkish general consulate and also canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit.
Meanwhile, the public channel NOS TV announced several security guards of the minister were detained.
On Saturday, Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit and blocked family minister's convoy from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
Thousands of people gathered outside of Turkish consulate in sport of the family minister, who later left the are with a police escort. Dutch police used guard dogs, batons to disperse the protesters.
The ministers were due to meet Turkish society ahead of April 16 referendum which will see a constitutional amendment.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 12.03.2017Turkish EU Minister: Dutch approach ‘exactly fascism’
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM postpones Swiss visit
- 12.03.2017Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban