Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2016Juncker: Turkey in no position to become EU member any time soon
- 25.07.2016Syrian migrant killed by own bomb at German bar
- 25.07.2016Erdogan to meet heads of Turkish political parties
- 24.07.2016Syrian kills woman in Germany machete attack
- 24.07.2016Rocket attack martyrs Turkish police officer, 2 injured
- 24.07.2016Turkish PM describes FETO as 'sick terrorists'
- 24.07.2016Turkey detaines the "right hand" Fethullah Gulen
- 24.07.2016Binali Yildirim: “Turkey disbands presidential guard after post-coup detentions”
- 24.07.2016Turkish PM: "Ankara not planning to extend emergency state"
- 24.07.2016Turkey's presidential spokesman: "Threats to Turkey not over"
- 23.07.2016Military police put on alert in Munich after deadly mall attack
- 23.07.2016Armed group: “We staged an armed revolt with the mission to liberate Armeina”
- 23.07.2016EU leaders called upon to block FETO in Europe
- 23.07.2016Turkey detains Gulen’s nephew after coup attempt
- 23.07.2016Erdogan offers condolences over Munich gun attack
- 23.07.20163 Turks among dead in Munich shooting: Turkish FM
- 23.07.2016Turkey releases 1200 soldiers, accused of coup attempt
- 23.07.2016All staff of Munich hospitals urgently summoned to workplaces — media
- 23.07.201610 killed, 21 injured in Munich shooting attack- UPDATED-4
- 23.07.2016Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland gov'ts should OK Brexit deal: Welsh first minister
- 23.07.2016Turkey: Bank Asya's banking license cancelled
- 23.07.2016Turkey: 283 Presidential Guard soldiers in custody
- 23.07.2016Gunmen kill at least eight in Munich shopping mall, shooters on the run
- 22.07.2016A suspected judge calls Gulen 'The Mahdi' arrested
- 22.07.2016Turkey: 28 arrested in search for Twitter whistleblower
- 22.07.2016Russia lifts ban on flights to Turkey
- 22.07.2016Nice terror attack suspects appear before investigating judge
- 22.07.2016Erdogan tells Turks to continue anti-coup protests
- 22.07.2016Tayyip Erdogan: "Standard & Poor's agency had sided with the coup, not with democracy"
- 22.07.2016Turkish President: "A new coup attempt was possible but would not be easy"
- 21.07.2016Turkish Airlines says flights to operate normally
- 21.07.2016French parliament adopts controversial labor reforms after months of protest
- 21.07.2016Yasin Aktay: "Turkish pilot made decision to shoot down Russian Su-24 jet himself"
- 21.07.2016French president urges UK to launch EU exit process
- 21.07.2016Turkish parliament ratifies 3-month state of emergency
- 21.07.2016Turkey coup attempt: Over 1,000 government officials on the run
- 21.07.2016Turkey awaits proper response from US on Gulen extradition, says ambassador
- 21.07.2016Turkey to temporarily suspend European Convention on Human Rights in wake of coup
- 21.07.2016Bodies of 21 women, one man found on migrant boat in Mediterranean
- 21.07.2016Erdogan: We will not let minority dominate majority
- 04.10.2013Sweden supports Albania's EU membership
- 04.10.2013Erdogan not to have an exact decision yet to become President of Turkey
- 04.10.2013Turkey questions its EU future as Brussels looks to Balkans
- 04.10.2013French citizens killed in Madagascar organ trafficking induced violence
- 03.10.2013EU's Ashton says crucial for all to join Egypt political process
- 03.10.2013Hungarian gov't miffed over Croatian arrest warrant for oil firm chief