Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 07.12.2016Italy PM Renzi resigns, president to consult with parties
- 07.12.2016Belgium detains 8 for questioning over Islamic State support
- 07.12.2016Supreme Court favors Samsung over Apple in patent case
- 07.12.2016UK man convicted of giving cash to Brussels bomb suspect
- 07.12.2016Merkel calls for Islamic veils ban
- 06.12.2016Turkey set to have 54 missions in Africa
- 06.12.2016Russia to ratify TurkStream project soon: PM Medvedev
- 06.12.2016British PM says Gulf security vital for Britain
- 06.12.2016FM: In case Cyprus unites, Turkish side will get accession to EU immediately
- 06.12.2016Cazeneuve named as new French Prime Minister
- 06.12.2016Chief advisor to Turkish opposition leader detained
- 06.12.2016Italy's president asks PM Renzi to delay resignation
- 05.12.2016Turkish PM says constitution plan to go to parliament after Russia trip
- 05.12.2016Turkey: 4 DBP party members remanded in terror probe
- 05.12.2016Greek court rules against Turkish soldiers' extradition
- 05.12.2016Greek court rules against extradition of FETÖ coup soldiers
- 05.12.2016Italian PM announces resignation after defeat in constitutional referendum
- 04.12.2016Mine blast kills over 30 in China's inner Mongolia region
- 04.12.2016Ireland welcomes U.S. decision to allow Cork-Boston flights
- 04.12.2016Erdogan urges people to switch to local currency
- 04.12.2016Germany detains senior terrorist wanted by Turkey
- 03.12.2016EU urges continued Syria talks despite ongoing fighting
- 03.12.2016Over 140 migrants rescued in Mediterranean close to Libyan coast
- 03.12.2016Two migrants found crushed to death in western Austria
- 03.12.2016Kerry meets Russia's Lavrov, says Syria diplomacy still alive
- 03.12.2016Gunman takes hostages in Paris travel agency robbery: source
- 02.12.2016Turkish buildings in Germany attacked by PKK supporters
- 02.12.2016The public should have say on charter reform: Deputy PM
- 02.12.2016World cannot stay silent on crimes in Syria: French FM
- 01.12.2016François Hollande will not seek re-election as president of France
- 01.12.2016EU's Tusk says keeping West united against Russia harder with Trump
- 01.12.2016Plane fault leaves Polish president grounded
- 01.12.2016Erdogan: Turkey is European country, ready to join EU
- 01.12.2016Lavrov: Security issues should be solved in order for Russia to lift visa regime with Turkey
- 01.12.2016Oil jumps over 10 percent as OPEC finalizes output cut deal
- 01.12.2016Five miners dead, three missing after tremor hits Polish copper mine
- 30.11.2016Europe hopes for continued US commitment to NATO
- 30.11.2016Turkish PM, MHP head to discuss constitution Thursday
- 30.11.2016Two miners dead, six missing after earthquake hits Polish mine
- 30.11.2016EU minister 'proud of' Turkey hosting 3 mn refugees
- 04.10.2013Sweden supports Albania's EU membership
- 04.10.2013Erdogan not to have an exact decision yet to become President of Turkey
- 04.10.2013Turkey questions its EU future as Brussels looks to Balkans
- 04.10.2013French citizens killed in Madagascar organ trafficking induced violence
- 03.10.2013EU's Ashton says crucial for all to join Egypt political process
- 03.10.2013Hungarian gov't miffed over Croatian arrest warrant for oil firm chief