Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 11.01.2018Erdogan: US can’t get any terrorist from Turkey as long as I’m in power
- 11.01.2018OSCE Chairperson-in-Office to address Permanent Council
- 11.01.2018Plane makes emergency landing at Warsaw airport, no casualties
- 10.01.2018Georgia-Turkey-Azerbaijan military co-op discussed in Tbilisi
- 10.01.20183,000 people granted Georgian citizenship in 2017
- 10.01.2018Swiss police arrest 80-year-old man for bank robbery
- 09.01.2018Berlusconi says Italy can't leave euro; coalition ally disagrees
- 09.01.201864 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 09.01.20182 killed as small plane crashes in UK
- 08.01.2018Boris Johnson remains UK Foreign Secretary as PM May reshuffles cabinet
- 08.01.2018EU extends restrictive measures against North Korea
- 08.01.2018At least 56 people missing after shipwreck near Sicily
- 07.01.2018UK Prime Minister to Announce Government Reshuffle on Monday
- 07.01.2018France plans privatization law in asset sale push: PM
- 04.10.2013Sweden supports Albania's EU membership
- 04.10.2013Erdogan not to have an exact decision yet to become President of Turkey
- 04.10.2013Turkey questions its EU future as Brussels looks to Balkans
- 04.10.2013French citizens killed in Madagascar organ trafficking induced violence
- 03.10.2013EU's Ashton says crucial for all to join Egypt political process
- 03.10.2013Hungarian gov't miffed over Croatian arrest warrant for oil firm chief