Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2016PM Yildirim: "Turkey’s presidential term to be 5 years"
- 23.10.2016Rescuers save 2,400 migrants in Mediterranean, recover 14 bodies
- 22.10.2016Turkish President repeats call for 'terror-free zone' in Syria
- 22.10.2016Italy rescues more than 3K migrants off Libyan coast
- 22.10.2016US defense secretary stresses alliance with Turkey
- 22.10.2016Turkish diplomats seek asylum in Germany after coup bid
- 21.10.2016Pentagon chief: Turkey should be involved in Mosul operation
- 21.10.2016Turkish Foreign Ministry official to visit Moscow next week
- 21.10.2016EC calls on EU states to determine visa waiver mechanism with Turkey
- 20.10.2016European development bank to fund new Turkish hospital
- 20.10.2016NATO chief Stoltenberg welcomes Humanitarian Pause in Aleppo read
- 20.10.2016Instability in Middle East Result of West's geopolitical practices - Lavrov
- 20.10.2016Russia's Putin says need to quicken work on new Syrian constitution
- 20.10.2016Poroshenko: "Russia agreed on deployment of an OSCE police mission in Donbass"
- 20.10.2016Oil prices jump on big U.S. crude stock drawdown
- 20.10.2016Italian judge sends 23 to trial in Berlusconi sex bribery case
- 20.10.2016Croatia parliament approves new conservative-led cabinet
- 19.10.2016Steinmeier sees small progress in Ukraine settlement
- 19.10.2016Putin, Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko start talks on situation in Ukraine
- 19.10.2016EU refugee deal could collapse: Turkey's EU minister
- 19.10.2016ISIS terrorist captured dead in Ankara
- 19.10.2016Russian and Turkish presidents discuss Mosul offensive, Syrian crisis in phone talks
- 19.10.2016Belgian jets could be behind airstrike killing 6 people near Aleppo
- 18.10.2016At least 15 reportedly taken hostage in Belgium supermarket
- 18.10.2016Merkel, Hollande to discuss Syria with Putin
- 18.10.2016Explosion at BASF facility in Germany kills one, injures at least six
- 16.10.2016Lausanne talks have good consensus that could lead to Syria ceasefire - Kerry
- 16.10.2016Greek PM says economy will return to growth this year
- 16.10.2016No ceasefire agreement reached at Lausanne meeting on Syria - Turkish FM
- 15.10.2016Turkish PM slams foreign media's coverage of Turkey
- 15.10.20165.2 magnitude quake shakes Black Sea, tremors felt in Istanbul
- 15.10.2016Twin earthquakes hit Turkey’s Manisa
- 14.10.2016Turkey 'determined' to take part in Mosul offensive
- 14.10.2016Greece returns 60 migrants to Turkey under EU deal
- 14.10.2016Erdogan lashes out at Hillary Clinton
- 14.10.2016French Senate adopts bill criminalizing denial of so-called Armenian genocide
- 14.10.2016PKK terrorists kill 3 soldiers with remote controlled explosives in SE Turkey
- 14.10.2016Turkey's Antalya hit by rockets, no casualties reported
- 14.10.2016PKK roadside bombs leave 12 Turkish servicemen wounded
- 14.10.2016Poroshenko, Merkel plan trilateral Summit on Ukraine in coming days
- 04.10.2013Sweden supports Albania's EU membership
- 04.10.2013Erdogan not to have an exact decision yet to become President of Turkey
- 04.10.2013Turkey questions its EU future as Brussels looks to Balkans
- 04.10.2013French citizens killed in Madagascar organ trafficking induced violence
- 03.10.2013EU's Ashton says crucial for all to join Egypt political process
- 03.10.2013Hungarian gov't miffed over Croatian arrest warrant for oil firm chief