Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Voters' activity exceeded 40% in Georgia's regions densely populated by Azerbaijanis
- 22.10.2017Two of Italy's regions will hold autonomy referendums
- 22.10.2017Madrid will take on some functions of the government of Catalonia
- 22.10.2017Portuguese protest over deadly forest fires, government pledges aid
- 22.10.2017Storm Brian causes heavy damages to building in Ireland, British coastal towns
- 21.10.2017Voting in elections to local self-governmet of Georgia is over
- 21.10.2017Billionaire candidate wins Czech election
- 21.10.2017Georgian opposition accuses government of creating tension in Marneuli
- 21.10.2017Georgian CEC: Police haven’t gone into polling stations in Marneuli - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Catalan independence: Spain pushes to remove leaders
- 21.10.2017Georgian parliamentary committee chairman: Attempts being made to cause unrest in Marneuli
- 21.10.2017Georgia elections: High voter turnout in Azerbaijani-populated region as of 12:00 AM
- 21.10.2017Georgia’s interior minister says Marneuli armed incident ‘has nothing to do with politics’
- 21.10.2017Voters in Georgia’s Marneuli populated by Azerbaijanis under pressure, claims opposition party
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijani CEC reps observe local elections in Georgia
- 21.10.2017Spain must thwart attempt to split the country - King Felipe VI
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani wounded in armed incident in Georgia in critical condition
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani ambassador visits those wounded in armed attack in Georgia’s Marneuli
- 20.10.2017US ambassador calls armed incident in Georgia’s Marneuli ‘an unacceptable violence’
- 20.10.2017Georgian Interior Ministry issues statement on armed attack on five people in Marneuli
- 20.10.2017Merkel says EU leaders favour dialogue with Turkey
- 20.10.2017EU leaders seek Brexit talks progress
- 19.10.2017Erdogan questions US partnership over visa row
- 19.10.2017European Parliament president: Europe will not recognize independent Catalonia
- 19.10.2017Spanish government to suspend Catalonia's political autonomy
- 19.10.2017Catalonia to formally declare independence if Spain suspends regional autonomy: source
- 18.10.2017600 int’l observers to monitor elections in Georgia
- 18.10.2017Majority of discrimination cases in Georgia occur on religious, ethnic grounds
- 18.10.2017UK's Brexit minister says there is no plan to leave Brexit talks
- 17.10.2017Catalans hold rally in Barcelona to support jailed leaders
- 17.10.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.10.2017Polish President Duda says hopes Turkey will join EU
- 17.10.2017Ten suspects allegedly 'plotting to kill' politicians arrested in France
- 17.10.201712 wounded in bomb attack against police shuttle in Turkey’s Mersin
- 17.10.2017Georgia detains Armenian citizen over cigarette smuggling
- 17.10.2017Ukrainian police report some 6,000 attending rallies in central Kyiv
- 17.10.2017Two Catalonian leaders behind independence movement detained for sedition
- 17.10.2017Turkish court frees US Consulate worker’s wife, child
- 16.10.20172 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017Turkey closes airspace for flights to northern Iraq
- 04.10.2013Sweden supports Albania's EU membership
- 04.10.2013Erdogan not to have an exact decision yet to become President of Turkey
- 04.10.2013Turkey questions its EU future as Brussels looks to Balkans
- 04.10.2013French citizens killed in Madagascar organ trafficking induced violence
- 03.10.2013EU's Ashton says crucial for all to join Egypt political process
- 03.10.2013Hungarian gov't miffed over Croatian arrest warrant for oil firm chief