Death toll in sunk boat off Italy could top 200, dozens still missing: reports
The disaster took place on Thursday off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, when a fishing boat carrying about 500 African migrants caught fire and sank.
Italian authorities have previously put the death toll at 94, including several women and four small children.
But according to the ANSA news agency, divers have found around 100 more bodies under the wreck of the boat that was carrying them from Libya.
Dozens of others are still missing and unaccounted for.
The 20-meter vessel caught fire after the migrants, mainly from Somalia, Eritrea and Ethiopia according to media reports, set fire to a blanket after the ship started to take water in order to attract the attention of passing ships.
But the fire soon spread to the rest of the boat, and the ship capsided as migrants moved to avoid the fire.
"We decided to light a fire to get us notice. But the bridge was contaminated with oils, and in a few moments the boat was engulfed in flames," one of the migrants was quoted as saying by Corriere della Sera newspaper.
Divers were still searching for possible survivors of the deadliest accidents over recent months in the Mediterranean Sea crossing that thousands of African migrants make every year.
So far, 155 people have been rescued.
The ANSA news agency said the Italian police had detained one of the survivors - a Tunisian national suspected of being the "human trafficker."
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta described the accident as a huge tragedy. He rushed to the scene with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano.
Thousands of African migrants try the hazardous Mediterranean crossing to Italy every year. A recent study found some 6,200 migrants had died in southern Italian waters since 1994.
Related news releases
- 28.08.2016Rocket attack carried out on Turkish civil airport
- 28.08.2016Turkey sends an ultimatum to Germany due to the "Incirlik" airbase
- 28.08.2016Merkel postpones final decision on Reelection Bid Until 2017
- 27.08.2016Steinmeier's calls for Arms Control show Berlin trying to be leading force in EU
- 27.08.2016Venezuela ex-mayor Ceballos sent to prison from house arrest
- 27.08.2016Former presidential advisor and 2 former ambassadors remanded over FETO links in Turkey
- 27.08.2016Curfews to be lifted in Turkey's southeast
- 27.08.2016Dutch far-right leader vows to close mosques
- 27.08.2016Italy quake death toll hits 281, state funeral planned
- 27.08.2016Kerry, Lavrov: 'Close' on Syrian Peace Agreement
- 27.08.2016Lavrov, Kerry Discuss Syrian Peace Talks in Geneva
- 27.08.2016French court suspends burkini ban, controversy goes on
- 26.08.2016Hungary to build 2nd fence to stem migrant flow
- 26.08.2016Italy quake death toll hits 278
- 26.08.2016Erdogan, Putin agree on Syria aid, G20 meeting
- 26.08.2016Turkey unveils 3rd Bosphorus bridge - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Erdogan informs Putin about military op in Syria
- 26.08.2016Alleged US drone crash-lands in SE Turkey
- 26.08.2016Strong blast in Belgium reportedly leaves at least one dead, several injured - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Lavrov visits Geneva for Syria talks with Kerry
- 25.08.2016Turkish interior minister: Terrorists targeted CHP leader
- 25.08.2016Fire opened at Turkish main opposition leader’s motorcade - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Flags at half-mast at Italian embassy in Baku after deadly earthquake
- 25.08.2016Turkey had informed three countries of military op in Syria
- 25.08.2016Ten more Turkish tanks cross Syrian border
- 25.08.2016Italy earthquake: Death toll rises to nearly 250 amid rescue efforts - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016US delegation's Gulen extradition talks end in Ankara
- 24.08.2016Erdogan: "The main priority for Turkey is the extradition of Fetullah Gulen" - UPDATED
- 24.08.2016More than 2,800 judges, prosecutors dismissed in Turkey
- 24.08.2016Italy earthquake: 'At least 73 dead' - UPDATED
- 24.08.2016Biden: US has no interest in protecting anyone that harmed an ally
- 24.08.2016Biden comments on Gulen’s expected extradition
- 24.08.2016Cavusoglu: We aim to eliminate threats against Turkey
- 24.08.2016Erdogan: Army began operations against ISIL and PYD in Syria
- 24.08.2016US vice president begins visit to Turkey
- 24.08.2016Italy government monitoring situation after 6.2 magnitude earthquake: spokesman
- 24.08.2016Strong quake hits central Italy, brings down buildings - UPDATED
- 23.08.2016Turkish FM: "Nearly 90 Turkish Foreign Ministry staff fired, 332 suspended in Post-Coup Purge"
- 23.08.2016OSCE FMs to meet in Germany on Sept.1
- 23.08.2016Kremlin says Putin, Merkel, Hollande to meet to discuss Ukraine on Sept. 4-5 at G20
- 04.10.2013Sweden supports Albania's EU membership
- 04.10.2013Erdogan not to have an exact decision yet to become President of Turkey
- 04.10.2013Turkey questions its EU future as Brussels looks to Balkans
- 04.10.2013French citizens killed in Madagascar organ trafficking induced violence
- 03.10.2013EU's Ashton says crucial for all to join Egypt political process
- 03.10.2013Hungarian gov't miffed over Croatian arrest warrant for oil firm chief