Czech Republic should not accept refugees under EU quotas - Interior Minister
The Czech Republic, alongside Poland, Slovakia and Hungary, has been reluctant to accommodate refugees from Italy and Greece under EU relocation quotas despite calls from Brussels to pull their weight, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"The ongoing security checking of remaining refugees showed that [we] no longer can accept anyone," Chovanec said, as quoted by the Parlamentni Listy newspaper.
The security checking of refugees has been obstructed by a number of difficulties and sometimes can take up to several months as refugees tend to leave the camps in Greece and Italy, the minister added.
"The Czech government has to make a final decision on whether [finalization of accepting refugees] should be done at the expense of sanctions. I am in favor of it. We can not let people in here without control," Chovanec said.
In March, Chovanec rejected Austria’s proposal to punish EU members who refuse to take in refugees with subsidy cuts, calling it divisive.
Europe is currently experiencing a dire migration and refugee crisis, and struggles to accommodate hundreds of thousands of migrants attempting to enter wealthy EU member states through various routes, including via Turkey, Italy and Greece.
According to the latest data of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), a total of 33,054 migrants and refugees arrived in Europe in 2017 alone, with the EU border agency Frontex stating that a total of 503,700 people crossed the EU border in 2016, compared to over 1.83 million illegal border crossings in 2015.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Macron: US embassy relocation to Jerusalem was a ‘wrong step’
- 25.05.2018Tbilisi’s Rose Revolution square, Mirhasan Vazirov st. renamed
- 25.05.2018France would like Russia to remain in Council of Europe – Macron
- 24.05.2018Putin, Macron discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal
- 24.05.2018Britain disappointed after Trump cancels North Korea summit: UK PM May
- 24.05.2018Turkey slams French magazine slandering Erdogan
- 24.05.2018Train derailment in northern Italy kills 2, over a dozen Injured
- 23.05.2018Turkey has means to curtail currency shifts: President
- 23.05.2018Yulia Skripal - Attempted assassination turned my world upside down
- 22.05.2018UK calls refusal from Iran nuclear deal catastrophe
- 22.05.2018UK Foreign Secretary remarks effectiveness of US Sanctions against Russia
- 22.05.2018German foreign minister says to meet with Pompeo over Iran deal
- 22.05.2018Pentagon warns of taking necessary steps against Iran
- 22.05.2018Erdogan: Turkey to not give up on Jerusalem
- 21.05.2018PKK terrorists on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 12.05.2018Aircraft crash in Spain's Catalonia leaves 3 people killed
- 12.05.2018Turkish minister warns EU over post-Brexit UK role
- 12.05.2018Police raid night clubs in Tbilisi, arrest 8 people for drug trafficking
- 12.05.2018White House urges 'responsible nations' to press Iran to change behavior
- 16.04.201762 immigrants rescued from dinghy off south coast of Spain
- 17.04.2017Brother Saakashvili deprived of right to permanent residence in Ukraine
- 17.04.2017OSCE: Turkey referendum contested ‘on an unlevel playing field’
- 15.04.2017World's oldest person Emma Morano dies at 117
- 15.04.2017Ankara slams West's interference in Turkish, Russian affairs as 'disease'
- 15.04.2017At least 9 injured in train accident in Vienna - UPDATED