Violent clashes occur between police and demonstrators in Batumi, at least 20 injured - VIDEO
Clashes and uproar occurred between citizens and police officers in Batumi, Georgia, APA reports quoting Georgia’s Interior Ministry.
According to the reports the clashes was followed by a large-scale protest in Batumi streets.
As Health Minister of Adjara region has declared that up to 20 people have been hospitalized, including 11 policce officers as a result of the recent incident.
As Interior Ministry reported, in the evening, on March 11, two people were arrested by police officers at Chavchavadze Street in Batumi, Adjara region, Georgia. They violated traffic rules and did not obey the law enforcers.
Later, three people were also detained. As reported by onlookers, they also did not obey the legal requirements of the policemen. All this was followed by a verbal conflict and afterwards, large-scale protest as a result. The protesters demanded the detainees to be released.
Representatives of Georgia’s opposition National Movement party arrived at the protest rally. The Ombudsman’s Office called on the protesters to act peacefully, but conflict still occurred between the protesters and law enforcers. Afterwards, special squad appeared near the Main Police Department of Adjara and used tear gas to dismantle the protesters, but they still continued expressing their protest, demanding all the five detainees to be released.
As the conflict became more and more serious and resulted in injuring people as well as police officers, Adjara government head Zurab Pataridze promised the protesters that the detainees would be released in an hour.
Georgia’s Interior Minister Giorgi Mghebrishvili has departed for Batumi as the situation is almost uncontrollable.
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 11.01.2018Erdogan: US can’t get any terrorist from Turkey as long as I’m in power
- 11.01.2018OSCE Chairperson-in-Office to address Permanent Council
- 11.01.2018Plane makes emergency landing at Warsaw airport, no casualties
- 10.01.2018Georgia-Turkey-Azerbaijan military co-op discussed in Tbilisi
- 10.01.20183,000 people granted Georgian citizenship in 2017
- 10.01.2018Swiss police arrest 80-year-old man for bank robbery
- 09.01.2018Berlusconi says Italy can't leave euro; coalition ally disagrees
- 09.01.201864 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 12.03.2017Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Brussels Partially Freezes EU Integration Funding for Ankara
- 12.03.2017Turkey temporarily blocks entrances, exits to Dutch diplomatic missions
- 12.03.2017Mevlut Cavusoglu: "This fascist step of the Netherlands was not aimed against me, but against entire Turkey"