Catalan parliament speaker released from Spanish jail
Speaker of the Catalan Parliament, Carme Forcadell, was released from a jail in Madrid on Friday after paying 150,000 euros ($175,000) bail, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Forcadell, along with four other elected members of the Catalan government, spent Thursday night behind bars but were able to leave once they paid bail.
One other government official was released without having to pay bail.
All of them are being investigated for rebellion, sedition and misappropriation of funds for their roles in the Oct. 27 declaration of independence passed in Catalonia’s Parliament.
Forcadell was the person who read the results and officially passed the independence bill, now annulled by Spain’s Constitutional Court.
Lawyers familiar with the proceedings told local media that Forcadell testified in Spain’s Supreme Court that the vote to declare independence was merely symbolic.
The Spanish Supreme Court’s decision comes in contrast to recent rulings made by the Spanish High Court.
Eight members of the Catalan government who were tried in the High Court are in pre-trial detention, without the possibility of bail.
Two leaders of Catalan independence associations have also been unconditionally remanded in custody.
The Spanish High Court has also issued a European arrest warrant for Carles Puigdemont, former Catalan president, and four other members of his Cabinet who are currently in Belgium.
As part of the conditional release on bail, the passports of Forcadell and the other politicians who have been bailed out have been confiscated.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 10.11.2017UK's May picks Brexiteer to replace scandal-hit aid minister
- 09.11.2017Albania issues arrest warrant for FETO fugitive
- 09.11.2017OSCE PA President steps down, Vice-President to serve as President
- 09.11.2017French president not ruling out sanctions over Iran's ballistic missile program
- 09.11.2017Serbia summons envoy to Ukraine for consultations
- 09.11.2017British aid minister Patel resigns in new test for PM May
- 08.11.20174 Daesh terrorists arrested in central Turkey
- 08.11.2017Catalonia crisis: Spain could allow referendums, says FM
- 08.11.2017Turkey, US discuss mutual legal assistance
- 08.11.2017Catalan secessionist parties fail to agree on unity ticket for December vote
- 07.11.2017Saakashvili announced on December 3, a “people’s impeachment”
- 07.11.2017Marneuli new head executive to take office on November 12
- 06.11.2017Turkey arrests 29 terror suspects
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 10.11.2017More than 100 PKK terrorists killed in 1 week in Turkey
- 10.11.2017Car rams into crowd near school in Southern France
- 10.11.2017Spanish Supreme Court frees Catalan parliament speaker on bail