Catalan parliament speaker released from Spanish jail
Speaker of the Catalan Parliament, Carme Forcadell, was released from a jail in Madrid on Friday after paying 150,000 euros ($175,000) bail, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Forcadell, along with four other elected members of the Catalan government, spent Thursday night behind bars but were able to leave once they paid bail.
One other government official was released without having to pay bail.
All of them are being investigated for rebellion, sedition and misappropriation of funds for their roles in the Oct. 27 declaration of independence passed in Catalonia’s Parliament.
Forcadell was the person who read the results and officially passed the independence bill, now annulled by Spain’s Constitutional Court.
Lawyers familiar with the proceedings told local media that Forcadell testified in Spain’s Supreme Court that the vote to declare independence was merely symbolic.
The Spanish Supreme Court’s decision comes in contrast to recent rulings made by the Spanish High Court.
Eight members of the Catalan government who were tried in the High Court are in pre-trial detention, without the possibility of bail.
Two leaders of Catalan independence associations have also been unconditionally remanded in custody.
The Spanish High Court has also issued a European arrest warrant for Carles Puigdemont, former Catalan president, and four other members of his Cabinet who are currently in Belgium.
As part of the conditional release on bail, the passports of Forcadell and the other politicians who have been bailed out have been confiscated.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 10.11.2017More than 100 PKK terrorists killed in 1 week in Turkey
- 10.11.2017Car rams into crowd near school in Southern France
- 10.11.2017Spanish Supreme Court frees Catalan parliament speaker on bail