Catalan Parliament Speaker Proposes Again to Nominate Sanchez as President
Speaker of the Catalan parliament Roger Torrent has proposed again nominating jailed pro-independence political activist Jordi Sanchez as a candidate for the regional presidency after consultations with parliamentary factions, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Former Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont, released on bail from a German prison on Thursday, reiterated his support for Sanchez at a press conference in Berlin earlier in the day.
"Following consultations with all parliamentary groups, I propose putting Jordi Sanchez’s candidacy for [regional] presidency on the vote. He enjoys the greatest support and has all political rights," Speaker of the Catalan parliament Roger Torrent wrote on Twitter.
Acabada la ronda de consultes amb tots els grups parlamentaris, proposo al diputat Jordi Sànchez com a candidat a la investidura. És el que aplega més suports i té tots els drets polítics plenament vigents.
Sanchez, the former leader of the pro-independence Catalan National Assembly (ANC) and a representative of the Together for Catalonia party led by Puigdemont, is currently in pre-trial detention in Madrid on charges of a coup, insurgency, and embezzlement of state funds in connection with the October 1 referendum.
The Catalan parliament put forward his candidacy for the presidency in early March, however, Sanchez revoked it after the Spanish Constitutional Court rejected his request for temporary release.
The second candidate was Puigdemont, who also refused to run for the office while being in his self-imposed exile in Belgium. Former government speaker Jordi Turull was the third candidate, who fell short of the required votes earlier in March and was jailed a day before the second round of the vote.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 08.04.2018Fifteen injured as gas canister explodes in Geneva restaurant
- 09.04.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 10.04.20184,044 terrorists 'neutralized' in Afrin op: Deputy PM
- 07.04.2018UK police arrest suspected terrorist supporter at Gatwick airport
- 07.04.20184,000 terrorists neutralized in Afrin: Erdogan
- 07.04.20183 Dead, up to 50 wounded in van ramming incident in Germany's Muenster - reports