Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
A driver deliberately rammed his car into a police van as it drove down Paris' Champs Elysees avenue and was probably killed, police said, adding that no officers or bystanders were injured and the situation was under control.
The Paris prosecutor's counter-terrorism unit said it had opened an investigation into the incident, which occurred only a short walk away from the Elysees presidential palace and the U.S. embassy.
The car hit the front of the police van as it was overtaking it and caught fire, a police spokeswoman told reporters.
"It appears to have been a deliberate act on the part of the individual," said Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet.
Brandet told reporters the driver, who was armed, was "most likely dead", adding that it was difficult to say for sure while the area where he was lying was being checked for explosives.
A report on France's BFM TV said the man was known to security services and had been carrying a gas bottle in the car.
France has been on high security alert following a series of militant Islamist attacks in recent years, including the shooting of a policeman in an Islamic State-claimed attack on a police bus on the Champs Elysees in April.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018UK calls refusal from Iran nuclear deal catastrophe
- 22.05.2018UK Foreign Secretary remarks effectiveness of US Sanctions against Russia
- 22.05.2018German foreign minister says to meet with Pompeo over Iran deal
- 22.05.2018Pentagon warns of taking necessary steps against Iran
- 22.05.2018Erdogan: Turkey to not give up on Jerusalem
- 21.05.2018PKK terrorists on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 12.05.2018Aircraft crash in Spain's Catalonia leaves 3 people killed
- 12.05.2018Turkish minister warns EU over post-Brexit UK role
- 12.05.2018Police raid night clubs in Tbilisi, arrest 8 people for drug trafficking
- 12.05.2018White House urges 'responsible nations' to press Iran to change behavior
- 12.05.2018UK's May and Trump agree talks needed over Iranian sanctions
- 11.05.2018Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout
- 11.05.2018Turkish president to visit UK on May 13
- 11.05.2018Deputy FM: Georgia, Azerbaijan ensure peace and stability in region
- 11.05.2018Erdogan and Putin discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 10.05.2018Merkel reaffirms commitment to Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018Europe has limited opportunity to preserve nuclear deal, Rouhani tells Macron
- 09.05.2018U.S. to lose after opting out of Iran nuclear deal, Erdoğan says
- 09.05.2018Russian Ambassador to Portugal dies suddenly
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation