British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
Fanatic supporters of the UK’s Leicester City football team threw bottles and flares during violent clashes with Spanish police ahead of the Champion’s League game against Atletico Madrid, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The confrontation took place at the Plaza Mayor, a designated area where fans were told they could gather before the match. Police say that eight people were arrested for vandalism and public disorder. Two fans and three police officers sustained minor injuries.
The incident comes during a time of tense relations between Britain and Spain, as Britain’s recent exit from the European Union reignited issues regarding Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
Renowned as a violent group, this is not the first time British hooligans have made headlines for inciting a melee. In June 2016, England fans instigated three days of violence in France during the Euro 2016 competition, hurling bottles at Russian supporters and clashing with police at Marseille's Old Port district.
Riot police had to use water cannons to disperse the crowds.
Nearly 2,000 suspected hooligans were instructed by law enforcement to not even enter France ahead of the match.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Erdogan doesn’t rule out cooperation with Syria’s Assad on YPG issue
- 24.11.2017Georgia plans to produce electric cars
- 24.11.2017The EU may include Armenia on a blacklist
- 24.11.2017Turkey to seek extradition of 45 coup suspects
- 24.11.2017Turkey welcomes EU decision on terror groups
- 23.11.2017German Social Democrats under pressure to form grand coalition
- 23.11.2017NATO chief says drill incident will not happen again
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani President met with President of Ukraine
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.04.2017Ankara looking for air defense systems, S-400 under consideration - Turkish DM
- 14.04.2017Former Turkish editor faces life term over FETO links
- 14.04.2017Turkey issues referendum broadcast ban
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 12.04.2017UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus