British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
Fanatic supporters of the UK’s Leicester City football team threw bottles and flares during violent clashes with Spanish police ahead of the Champion’s League game against Atletico Madrid, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The confrontation took place at the Plaza Mayor, a designated area where fans were told they could gather before the match. Police say that eight people were arrested for vandalism and public disorder. Two fans and three police officers sustained minor injuries.
The incident comes during a time of tense relations between Britain and Spain, as Britain’s recent exit from the European Union reignited issues regarding Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
Renowned as a violent group, this is not the first time British hooligans have made headlines for inciting a melee. In June 2016, England fans instigated three days of violence in France during the Euro 2016 competition, hurling bottles at Russian supporters and clashing with police at Marseille's Old Port district.
Riot police had to use water cannons to disperse the crowds.
Nearly 2,000 suspected hooligans were instructed by law enforcement to not even enter France ahead of the match.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Poland plans to safeguard Iran nuclear deal during in UNSC – FM
- 26.04.2018Erdogan urges UN to intensify efforts for Syria peace
- 26.04.2018Bidzina Ivanishvili to lead Georgia's ruling party
- 26.04.2018Russia-wary U.S. to press NATO allies to hike military spending
- 26.04.2018Croatian police arrest suspect behind global cyber attack platform
- 26.04.2018European powers say nearing plan to save Iran nuclear pact
- 26.04.2018Turkish solider martyred in PKK terror attack
- 25.04.2018German Chancellor Merkel backs Albania’s EU perspective
- 25.04.2018Macron at odds with Trump agenda during Congress speech
- 24.04.2018PACE 'double standard' for postponed polls: Deputy PM
- 24.04.2018Armored vehicle maker BMC wins Turkish battle tank bid
- 24.04.2018PACE calls on Turkey to ‘postpone’ June 24 snap elections
- 24.04.2018CoE may take action against Russia in event of failure to pay a contribution to the budget
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 14.04.2017Ankara looking for air defense systems, S-400 under consideration - Turkish DM
- 14.04.2017Former Turkish editor faces life term over FETO links
- 14.04.2017Turkey issues referendum broadcast ban
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 12.04.2017UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus