British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
Fanatic supporters of the UK’s Leicester City football team threw bottles and flares during violent clashes with Spanish police ahead of the Champion’s League game against Atletico Madrid, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The confrontation took place at the Plaza Mayor, a designated area where fans were told they could gather before the match. Police say that eight people were arrested for vandalism and public disorder. Two fans and three police officers sustained minor injuries.
The incident comes during a time of tense relations between Britain and Spain, as Britain’s recent exit from the European Union reignited issues regarding Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
Renowned as a violent group, this is not the first time British hooligans have made headlines for inciting a melee. In June 2016, England fans instigated three days of violence in France during the Euro 2016 competition, hurling bottles at Russian supporters and clashing with police at Marseille's Old Port district.
Riot police had to use water cannons to disperse the crowds.
Nearly 2,000 suspected hooligans were instructed by law enforcement to not even enter France ahead of the match.
Related news releases
- 30.05.2017NATO says it’s not planning to deploy forces in Georgian ports
- 30.05.2017After talks, France's Macron hits out at Russian media, Putin denies hacking
- 30.05.2017Germany foreign minister slams Trump administration
- 29.05.2017Number of Albania opposition rally poisoning victims rises to 140
- 29.05.2017Vladimir Putin and Emmanuel Macron hold joint press conference
- 29.05.2017NATO PA adopts declaration supporting Georgia's Euro-Atlantic integration
- 29.05.2017Montenegrin FM accuses Moscow of meddling his country’s internal affairs
- 29.05.2017NATO PA spring session underway in Georgian capital
- 28.05.2017BA aims to resume most UK flights after IT failure
- 28.05.2017More than 1,500 migrants, refugees have died crossing Mediterranean in 2017: UN
- 27.05.2017Putin, Erdogan agree to develop coordination of efforts for settlement in Syria
- 27.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey, EU agree on year-long plan of actions to improve relations
- 27.05.2017G7 countries ready to tighten sanctions on Russia
- 27.05.2017Georgia's Defence Minister: We’re trying to ensure regional security jointly with Azerbaijan and Turkey more effectively
- 27.05.2017UK police arrest eleventh suspect of Manchester terror attack
- 27.05.2017G7 leaders reach impasse on climate, urge cyber crackdown
- 26.05.2017Bomb threat at Place de la République in Paris – major evacuation and lockdown
- 26.05.2017G7 leaders sign Declaration on fight against terrorism
- 26.05.2017Estonia expels two Russian diplomats, Moscow says 'unfriendly' act
- 26.05.2017NATO says it sees stability in South Caucasus as priority
- 26.05.201729 terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 26.05.2017Ankara criticizes US resolution over DC clash
- 26.05.2017Manchester police searching house in Wigan after Monday's deadly terror attack
- 26.05.2017Stoltenberg: NATO to become part of US-led coalition against Daesh
- 25.05.2017Former Greek prime minister injured in explosion
- 25.05.2017Turkish FM says it is time for EU to decide on Turkey
- 25.05.2017UK: Additional arrests in bomb investigation
- 25.05.2017Turkey denies restricting Russian agricultural imports
- 24.05.2017Manchester bomber was part of a network: police
- 24.05.2017Counter-terrorism police arrest man at Standsted Airport
- 24.05.2017G7 States to adopt special statement on anti-terror fight after Manchester blast
- 24.05.2017Turkish foreign minister arrives in Rome
- 24.05.2017UK Prime Minister raises terror threat level, says next attack 'imminent'
- 23.05.2017Ethiopian former health minister elected new director general of World Health Organization
- 23.05.2017Erdogan: "Be careful when naming Turkish sports centers"
- 23.05.2017Manchester's Arndale shopping center evacuated, witnesses heard "big bang"
- 23.05.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attack
- 23.05.2017Children among 22 killed in Manchester Arena attack - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017Theresa May calls Manchester Arena Explosion 'an appalling terrorist attack'
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 14.04.2017Ankara looking for air defense systems, S-400 under consideration - Turkish DM
- 14.04.2017Former Turkish editor faces life term over FETO links
- 14.04.2017Turkey issues referendum broadcast ban
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 12.04.2017UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus