British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
Fanatic supporters of the UK’s Leicester City football team threw bottles and flares during violent clashes with Spanish police ahead of the Champion’s League game against Atletico Madrid, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The confrontation took place at the Plaza Mayor, a designated area where fans were told they could gather before the match. Police say that eight people were arrested for vandalism and public disorder. Two fans and three police officers sustained minor injuries.
The incident comes during a time of tense relations between Britain and Spain, as Britain’s recent exit from the European Union reignited issues regarding Gibraltar’s sovereignty.
Renowned as a violent group, this is not the first time British hooligans have made headlines for inciting a melee. In June 2016, England fans instigated three days of violence in France during the Euro 2016 competition, hurling bottles at Russian supporters and clashing with police at Marseille's Old Port district.
Riot police had to use water cannons to disperse the crowds.
Nearly 2,000 suspected hooligans were instructed by law enforcement to not even enter France ahead of the match.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.04.2017Ankara looking for air defense systems, S-400 under consideration - Turkish DM
- 14.04.2017Former Turkish editor faces life term over FETO links
- 14.04.2017Turkey issues referendum broadcast ban
- 13.04.2017Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 12.04.2017UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus