Belgium drops Puigdemont extradition case
Brussels prosecutor has dismissed the extradition case of former Catalan government President Carles Puigdemont, the Agence France-Presse news agency said, APA reports quoting ITAR-TASS.
Earlier on Tuesday, Spain’s Supreme Court withdrew the European arrest warrants for former Catalan President Carles Puigdemont and four former members of his cabinet.
The arrest warrants were issued on November 3 as the five failed to appear before the national judicial board in Madrid, since they had left the country and fled to Brussels.
According to the Brussels prosecutor, another court hearing will be held to announce that the extradition request is now irrelevant.
On October 1, a referendum on seceding from Spain took place in Catalonia. A total of 90.18% of the voters said "yes" to Catalonia’s independence. Madrid said the referendum was illegal and refused to recognize its results.
On October 27, the Catalan parliament passed a declaration of independence. The Spanish Senate, in turn, approved the government’s request for activating Article 155 of the country’s Constitution.
After that, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced the dissolution of the Catalan parliament and dismissed Puigdemont, as well as members of his cabinet. Madrid also called a regional election for December 21.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Italy's League rallies in Milan as tense election campaign winds up
- 23.02.2018EU leaders agree to spend more on migration, defense, security
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017At least 50 are feared wounded after passenger, freight trains collide in Germany - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Turkey, German bank sign deal for training for Syrians
- 05.12.2017Turkish courts convict 10 over FETO links