Belgian police detain dozens over unrest in Brussels
On Saturday, Belgian law enforcement units detained over 20 youths who smashed shop windows and police vehicles on Louise avenue in central Brussels, local media reported.
"Thirty youths, who had participated in the manifestation, covered their faces, and headed to the Louise [avenue] where they had damaged shops," Belgian police spokesman Ilse Van de Keere said, as quoted by the outlet.
The RTBF broadcaster reported that the anti-riot police department had been deployed to the scene of the unrest.
Also, authorities reportedly deployed a water cannon and a helicopter to the area.
In November, Brussels has faced a wave of riots. In one of the most large-scale cases on November 11, fans of the Morocco national football team were celebrating its qualification for World Cup 2018 next to Brussels Stock Exchange, but the celebration turned violent, with altercations between the police and the celebrants.
More than 20 police officers were injured as a result of the incident, while material damages included burnt cars and vandalized storefronts.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 26.11.2017Puigdemont launches Catalan election campaign from Belgium
- 27.11.2017Kiev reacts to Jagland's statement on restoring Russia's voting rights in CoE
- 27.11.2017Turkish PM: Trump says wrong to provide arms to YPG
- 26.11.2017Five migrants wounded as shots fired in Calais brawl
- 25.11.2017Erdogan, Macron discuss Sochi summit, Syria on phone
- 25.11.2017Erdogan: "Turkey, Russia to talk Syria more regularly"