Attack on French soldiers: Suspect is Algerian known for small offenses
According to France Info, the man suspected of the attack on French soldiers on Wednesday has been identified as Algerian and is known for small offenses.
The man was arrested on the A16 motorway while driving the BMW car he had used to attack the soldiers in the morning, the news outlet specified, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Earlier in the day, a vehicle rammed into a group of French soldiers in the French town of Levallois-Perret. The suspected vehicle left six French police officers injured and after that fled the scene.
The anti-terrorism office of the Paris prosecutors' office, which is in charge of investigating similar cases, has opened probe into the incident.
The injured soldiers belong to Operation Sentinelle introduced in the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks in 2015, which killed 130 people. Since then, France has suffered a series of attacks.
On June 7, a 40-year-old assailant of Algerian descent attacked police officers with a hammer near the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, slightly injuring one of the officers. The attacker was neutralized.
On April 20, a 39-year-old man, known for radicalization, attacked law enforcement officers at the Avenue des Champs-Elysees in the French capital. One policeman was killed, two other police officers and a woman, who was passing by, were injured. The assailant was killed.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Turkish stocks close higher after rate hike
- 14.12.2017At least 4 children killed, 19 injured as school bus and train collide in France - UPDATED
- 14.12.2017Merkel slams EU’s Tusk over refugee quotas
- 13.12.2017Czech PM Babis takes office but so far lacks parliamentary backing
- 13.12.2017CIA official called to police department in Turkey
- 13.12.2017EU’s Tusk says refugee quota ‘ineffective’
- 13.12.2017Spanish court orders seizure of ex-Catalan president Mas's house
- 13.12.2017Parliamentary defeat will not stop preparations for Brexit day: UK government
- 13.12.2017Work linked with supplies of Russian S-400 systems to be over in one week - Erdogan
- 12.12.2017EU to extend sanctions against Russia before yearend
- 12.12.2017Germany extends military deployments worldwide
- 12.12.2017Russian credit to cover part of S-400 missile deal with Turkey
- 12.12.2017EU leaders to discuss defense, migration this week
- 12.12.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg’s mandate extended
- 12.12.2017Merkel urges swift talks for German coalition
- 12.12.2017Turkey to host trilateral security meeting on Dec. 14
- 12.12.2017UK prime minister says EU deal 'good news for everyone'
- 12.12.2017Putin, Erdogan discuss trade liberalization
- 12.12.2017Erdogan: S-400 missile deal with Russia to be finalized
- 11.12.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Ankara
- 11.12.2017Storms, snow hit northern Europe
- 11.12.2017Armenian citizens detained in Georgia
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 10.08.2017Erdogan to make changes in party before 2019 election
- 10.08.2017Georgia to launch large-scale infrastructure projects in 2018
- 10.08.2017Turkish police detain Russian-origin militant planning to down US plane with drone at air base
- 09.08.2017Number announced of Azerbaijani citizens who violated Georgian migration legislation
- 08.08.2017Georgian Embassy issues a statement on Russia-Georgia war anniversary
- 08.08.2017Wildfire death toll in Italy rises to five