Attack on French soldiers: Suspect is Algerian known for small offenses
According to France Info, the man suspected of the attack on French soldiers on Wednesday has been identified as Algerian and is known for small offenses.
The man was arrested on the A16 motorway while driving the BMW car he had used to attack the soldiers in the morning, the news outlet specified, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Earlier in the day, a vehicle rammed into a group of French soldiers in the French town of Levallois-Perret. The suspected vehicle left six French police officers injured and after that fled the scene.
The anti-terrorism office of the Paris prosecutors' office, which is in charge of investigating similar cases, has opened probe into the incident.
The injured soldiers belong to Operation Sentinelle introduced in the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks in 2015, which killed 130 people. Since then, France has suffered a series of attacks.
On June 7, a 40-year-old assailant of Algerian descent attacked police officers with a hammer near the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, slightly injuring one of the officers. The attacker was neutralized.
On April 20, a 39-year-old man, known for radicalization, attacked law enforcement officers at the Avenue des Champs-Elysees in the French capital. One policeman was killed, two other police officers and a woman, who was passing by, were injured. The assailant was killed.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Georgian parliamentary committee chairman: Attempts being made to cause unrest in Marneuli
- 21.10.2017Georgia elections: High voter turnout in Azerbaijani-populated region as of 12:00 AM
- 21.10.2017Georgia’s interior minister says Marneuli armed incident ‘has nothing to do with politics’
- 21.10.2017Voters in Georgia’s Marneuli populated by Azerbaijanis under pressure, claims opposition party
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijani CEC reps observe local elections in Georgia
- 21.10.2017Spain must thwart attempt to split the country - King Felipe VI
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani wounded in armed incident in Georgia in critical condition
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani ambassador visits those wounded in armed attack in Georgia’s Marneuli
- 20.10.2017US ambassador calls armed incident in Georgia’s Marneuli ‘an unacceptable violence’
- 20.10.2017Georgian Interior Ministry issues statement on armed attack on five people in Marneuli
- 20.10.2017Merkel says EU leaders favour dialogue with Turkey
- 20.10.2017EU leaders seek Brexit talks progress
- 19.10.2017Erdogan questions US partnership over visa row
- 19.10.2017European Parliament president: Europe will not recognize independent Catalonia
- 19.10.2017Spanish government to suspend Catalonia's political autonomy
- 19.10.2017Catalonia to formally declare independence if Spain suspends regional autonomy: source
- 18.10.2017600 int’l observers to monitor elections in Georgia
- 18.10.2017Majority of discrimination cases in Georgia occur on religious, ethnic grounds
- 18.10.2017UK's Brexit minister says there is no plan to leave Brexit talks
- 17.10.2017Catalans hold rally in Barcelona to support jailed leaders
- 17.10.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.10.2017Polish President Duda says hopes Turkey will join EU
- 17.10.2017Ten suspects allegedly 'plotting to kill' politicians arrested in France
- 17.10.201712 wounded in bomb attack against police shuttle in Turkey’s Mersin
- 17.10.2017Georgia detains Armenian citizen over cigarette smuggling
- 17.10.2017Ukrainian police report some 6,000 attending rallies in central Kyiv
- 17.10.2017Two Catalonian leaders behind independence movement detained for sedition
- 17.10.2017Turkish court frees US Consulate worker’s wife, child
- 16.10.20172 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017Turkey closes airspace for flights to northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017EU defends Iran deal despite Trump, appeals to U.S. Congress
- 16.10.2017Two killed as Storm Ophelia lashes Ireland, UK
- 16.10.2017Former Turkish CHP head Deniz Baykal taken to hospital over severe influenza
- 15.10.2017Cargo plane crash off Ivory Coast kills four Moldovans
- 15.10.2017Poland doctors demand better pay, hike in funding for health care system
- 14.10.2017Turkey, Russia seen coordinating on Syria
- 14.10.2017Turkey welcomes Hamas-Fatah reconciliation
- 14.10.2017IAEA: Tehran Implements All Commitments Under Iran Nuclear Deal
- 14.10.2017EU's top diplomat defends Iran deal after Trump speech
- 13.10.2017Turkish army chief inspects troops near Syrian border
- 10.08.2017Erdogan to make changes in party before 2019 election
- 10.08.2017Georgia to launch large-scale infrastructure projects in 2018
- 10.08.2017Turkish police detain Russian-origin militant planning to down US plane with drone at air base
- 09.08.2017Number announced of Azerbaijani citizens who violated Georgian migration legislation
- 08.08.2017Georgian Embassy issues a statement on Russia-Georgia war anniversary
- 08.08.2017Wildfire death toll in Italy rises to five