Attack on French soldiers: Suspect is Algerian known for small offenses
According to France Info, the man suspected of the attack on French soldiers on Wednesday has been identified as Algerian and is known for small offenses.
The man was arrested on the A16 motorway while driving the BMW car he had used to attack the soldiers in the morning, the news outlet specified, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Earlier in the day, a vehicle rammed into a group of French soldiers in the French town of Levallois-Perret. The suspected vehicle left six French police officers injured and after that fled the scene.
The anti-terrorism office of the Paris prosecutors' office, which is in charge of investigating similar cases, has opened probe into the incident.
The injured soldiers belong to Operation Sentinelle introduced in the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks in 2015, which killed 130 people. Since then, France has suffered a series of attacks.
On June 7, a 40-year-old assailant of Algerian descent attacked police officers with a hammer near the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, slightly injuring one of the officers. The attacker was neutralized.
On April 20, a 39-year-old man, known for radicalization, attacked law enforcement officers at the Avenue des Champs-Elysees in the French capital. One policeman was killed, two other police officers and a woman, who was passing by, were injured. The assailant was killed.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Former Catalan leader faces arrest in Finland
- 25.03.2018Italian parties reach deal on parliamentary speakers
- 24.03.2018Thousands of Croatian far-right supporters march in Zagreb
- 24.03.2018Gunman attacks French supermarket, kills three
- 24.03.2018Swedish football star Ibrahimovic moves to LA Galaxy
- 24.03.2018Erdogan, Macron talk about Afrin op. over phone
- 24.03.2018Police arrest over 170 FETO suspects across Turkey
- 24.03.2018Greece seeks EU support on soldiers in Turkish custody
- 23.03.2018Macron: London Shared "Proof" of Russian Involvement in Skripal Poisoning
- 23.03.2018France siege: Trebes supermarket hostage-taker who killed three shot dead by police - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018US Patriot missile system not alternative to Russia’s S-400, says Turkish PM
- 23.03.2018Turkey continuing talks with US over Patriot missiles
- 23.03.2018Several EU countries might recall diplomats from Moscow
- 23.03.2018The European Union recalls Moscow envoy
- 23.03.2018Policeman discharged after Salisbury attack
- 22.03.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral, regional issues
- 22.03.2018British PM May says Russia poses threat to all of Europe
- 22.03.2018US, EU to provide financial aid to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Nadezhda Savchenko arrested - UPDATED
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 10.08.2017Erdogan to make changes in party before 2019 election
- 10.08.2017Georgia to launch large-scale infrastructure projects in 2018
- 10.08.2017Turkish police detain Russian-origin militant planning to down US plane with drone at air base
- 09.08.2017Number announced of Azerbaijani citizens who violated Georgian migration legislation
- 08.08.2017Georgian Embassy issues a statement on Russia-Georgia war anniversary
- 08.08.2017Wildfire death toll in Italy rises to five