Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
One person has been released as an armed man remains holed up with several other hostages in the 10th district of Paris, Sputnik’s correspondent reports. A major police operation is underway, the mayor’s office has confirmed on Twitter, APA reports.
The motives of the man remain unknown. The area is sealed off. Police are at the scene and are saying that this doesn't appear to be terrorism-related.
Conflicting media reports suggest that there might be 2 or 3 hostages, but the information has not yet been confirmed.
According to the France Blue, three people, including a pregnant woman, have been taken hostage. One of the hostages might be injured.
The attacker reportedly has a bomb and a handgun and has also requested to be put in contact with the Iranian Embassy.
He said that he had an armed accomplice, outside the building, announces Le Parisien.
Additional law enforcement personnel, several ambulances, and fire trucks have arrived at the scene. Police are recommending that people stay in their homes and not go out onto the streets.
According to the France2 website, the attacker is armed with a knife and a gas can.
"Officials will be trying to start a negotiation with the man," police union official Yves Lefebvre said.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 09.06.2018Merkel says differences on trade remain despite joint G7 communique
- 09.06.2018Arab leaders to hold meeting with King Abdullah over Jordan crisis
- 09.06.2018Bomb kills one and wounds 14 in Iraq's Kirkuk
- 09.06.2018UK: Boris Johnson's Brexit remarks cause controversy
- 08.06.2018Three tourists die in Georgia rafting accident
- 08.06.2018Russian, US military leaders to meet in Helsinki
- 08.06.2018Vienna to host possible meeting between Putin and Trump
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 09.06.2018Russia’s return to G7 requires implementation of Minsk Agreements — Merkel