Amid Syria tensions, Russian jet flies low over French warship
A Russian warplane this weekend flew over a French warship at low altitude in the eastern Mediterranean, a deliberate breach of international regulations, a French naval source said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The incident, first reported by Le Point magazine, comes as tensions mount between Russia and Western nations following a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria on April 7. At least 60 people were killed in the attack, according to a Syrian relief agency.
France, the United States and their allies are considering a coordinated military response after accusing the Russia-backed Syrian government of being behind the attack. Damascus and Moscow have denied a chemical attack took place.
The weekly magazine said the Russian plane had flown over frigate Aquitaine over the weekend and was fully-armed.
The Aquitaine is equipped with 16 cruise missiles and 16 surface-to-air missiles. It is currently operating off Lebanese shores alongside U.S. ships as part of France’s contingent fighting Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.
“The flight took place several days ago,” a French naval source said, adding that France had contacted Russian authorities over the matter.
“Passes by military aircraft over warships are things that happen at sea. When it is deemed too close, the opposing party is notified,” the source said.
The Russian air force has already carried out such “aggressive” flights over Western warships in the past.
In April 2016 two Russian warplanes flew simulated attack passes near a U.S. guided missile destroyer in the Baltic Sea, so low they created wake in the water.
Phone calls to the Russian defence ministry in Moscow were not answered after business hours on Tuesday.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.04.2018Give Saudi Arabia a chance, French president tells critics
- 11.04.2018Theresa May indicates willingness for military action against Syria
- 11.04.2018Fighter jet accidentally bombs working factory in France
- 10.04.2018Yulia Skripal leaves British hospital five weeks after nerve agent attack
- 10.04.20182 PKK terrorists neutralized in southeastern Turkey
- 10.04.2018German’s Merkel: Evidence that chemical weapons were used in Syria is very clear