Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
The counter-terrorism operation that was going on since night has completed.
Special forces and vehicles are leaving the scene, APA's local bureau reported.
According to unofficial reports, three suspects were arrested during the operation. One security officer has been killed.
One more was killed during the operation. His identity has not been disclosed.
The sounds of shooting and explosions can be heard on the outskirts of Tbilisi, where a counter-terrorist special operation has been going on for several hours, the policce are trying to enter the building where the suspects hid. APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
The Georgian state security service reported on Wednesday night that a counter-terrorist operation was being conducted on the outskirts of the capital, during which blocked suspects opened fire on special forces.
The Rustavi-2 television channel previously said that the purpose of the special operation is the detention of two foreigners suspected of contacting terrorist organizations.
"Presumably, at these moments there is an operation to enter the building where the suspects are located.Sounds of a violent explosion were heard several times, and the sounds of shots are heard," the local agency Interpressnews reports.
According to the Georgian First Channel, "all residents of the buildings where the special operation is being held were evacuated": the patrol police officers asked residents to leave their homes for security reasons.
The building in which the suspects are located is surrounded, several police brigades control the perimeter.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister