Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
The counter-terrorism operation that was going on since night has completed.
Special forces and vehicles are leaving the scene, APA's local bureau reported.
According to unofficial reports, three suspects were arrested during the operation. One security officer has been killed.
One more was killed during the operation. His identity has not been disclosed.
The sounds of shooting and explosions can be heard on the outskirts of Tbilisi, where a counter-terrorist special operation has been going on for several hours, the policce are trying to enter the building where the suspects hid. APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
The Georgian state security service reported on Wednesday night that a counter-terrorist operation was being conducted on the outskirts of the capital, during which blocked suspects opened fire on special forces.
The Rustavi-2 television channel previously said that the purpose of the special operation is the detention of two foreigners suspected of contacting terrorist organizations.
"Presumably, at these moments there is an operation to enter the building where the suspects are located.Sounds of a violent explosion were heard several times, and the sounds of shots are heard," the local agency Interpressnews reports.
According to the Georgian First Channel, "all residents of the buildings where the special operation is being held were evacuated": the patrol police officers asked residents to leave their homes for security reasons.
The building in which the suspects are located is surrounded, several police brigades control the perimeter.
Related news releases
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.12.2017Belgium drops Puigdemont extradition case
- 06.12.2017At least 50 are feared wounded after passenger, freight trains collide in Germany - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Turkey, German bank sign deal for training for Syrians
- 05.12.2017Turkish courts convict 10 over FETO links
- 05.12.2017Ukrainian interior minister calls on Saakashvili to abide by law
- 05.12.2017Saakashvili supporters free him from police van after detention in Kiev
- 05.12.2017Erdogan warns to cut ties with Israel if Jerusalem recognized as Israeli capital
- 05.12.2017EU sometimes has hard time contacting US: Official
- 05.12.2017Turkish jets destroy PKK targets in northern Iraq
- 05.12.2017Jordan’s King Abdullah II to visit Turkey on Wednesday
- 04.12.2017No deal in Brexit talks yet, says EU
- 03.12.2017Turkish FM: "Gülen movement has infiltrated U.S. Congress"
- 03.12.2017France's Macron calls on Iraq to dismantle all militias
- 02.12.2017Police clear protesters as Germany's far-right AfD picks new leaders
- 02.12.2017Turkish police arrest 66 terror suspects
- 02.12.2017War crimes convict Praljak took cyanide, Dutch prosecutors say
- 01.12.2017Police conduct special op in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 01.12.2017Car bomb exploded in the suburbs of Barcelona
- 01.12.2017Merkel and Erdogan hold first phone call in months
- 01.12.2017Geneva-8 talks on Syria turned into shuttle talks format
- 30.11.2017Denmark passes law that could ban Nord Stream 2 from going through its waters
- 30.11.2017Ambassador: "Reports on possible resumption of air communication between Turkey and Armenia are not true"
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister