62 immigrants rescued from dinghy off south coast of Spain
Spanish Maritime Rescue services rescued 62 sub-Saharan immigrants from a dinghy off the southwest coast of Spain in the early hours of Saturday morning, official sources have confirmed, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The boat carrying 52 men and 10 children, who made the dangerous crossing from the north coast of Morocco, was rescued about 2.4 km south of the Trafalgar Lighthouse at around 1:40 p.m. local time.
They were then taken to the port of Barbate, close to the city of Cadiz.
Maritime Rescue services published on its Twitter a photo of the dinghy packed with immigrants, and described it as "full to overflowing."
A further six immigrants were taken to hospital on Saturday after being rescued from a boat containing 11 Algerians off the east coast of Spain.
The operation has lifted the number of Algerians rescued since Wednesday to 41.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Poland plans to safeguard Iran nuclear deal during in UNSC – FM
- 26.04.2018Erdogan urges UN to intensify efforts for Syria peace
- 26.04.2018Bidzina Ivanishvili to lead Georgia's ruling party
- 26.04.2018Russia-wary U.S. to press NATO allies to hike military spending
- 26.04.2018Croatian police arrest suspect behind global cyber attack platform
- 26.04.2018European powers say nearing plan to save Iran nuclear pact
- 26.04.2018Turkish solider martyred in PKK terror attack
- 25.04.2018German Chancellor Merkel backs Albania’s EU perspective
- 25.04.2018Macron at odds with Trump agenda during Congress speech
- 24.04.2018PACE 'double standard' for postponed polls: Deputy PM
- 24.04.2018Armored vehicle maker BMC wins Turkish battle tank bid
- 24.04.2018PACE calls on Turkey to ‘postpone’ June 24 snap elections
- 24.04.2018CoE may take action against Russia in event of failure to pay a contribution to the budget
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 17.04.2017Brother Saakashvili deprived of right to permanent residence in Ukraine
- 17.04.2017OSCE: Turkey referendum contested ‘on an unlevel playing field’
- 17.04.20171 soldier martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 15.04.2017Czech Republic should not accept refugees under EU quotas - Interior Minister
- 15.04.2017World's oldest person Emma Morano dies at 117
- 15.04.2017Ankara slams West's interference in Turkish, Russian affairs as 'disease'