5 die in Portugal plane crash: Local media
Five people were killed when a Swiss-registered light aircraft crashed into a supermarket parking lot in Tires, Cascais, on the outskirts of the Portuguese capital Lisbon, according to local media reports Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Four of the victims were the French pilot and three passengers aboard the plane, including two French nationals and one Swiss, the English language media outlet Portugal News said, adding that the victim on the ground was understood to be a truck driver.
The incident happened at 11.05 a.m. local time (1105GMT) shortly after the plane, a P-31 light aircraft, took off from Cascais Municipal Aerodome, the airport confirmed in a statement.
The flight of private operator Symbios Orthopaedic was headed to the French city of Marseilles, it said.
The plane had reportedly arrived in Portugal last Friday from Geneva.
The aircraft crashed approximately 2,000 metres after take off, according to Portugal's air crash investigation bureau.
Portugal's National Authority for Civil Protection said everything indicated there had been a mid-air explosion.
Related news releases
- 30.05.2017NATO says it’s not planning to deploy forces in Georgian ports
- 30.05.2017After talks, France's Macron hits out at Russian media, Putin denies hacking
- 30.05.2017Germany foreign minister slams Trump administration
- 29.05.2017Number of Albania opposition rally poisoning victims rises to 140
- 29.05.2017Vladimir Putin and Emmanuel Macron hold joint press conference
- 29.05.2017NATO PA adopts declaration supporting Georgia's Euro-Atlantic integration
- 29.05.2017Montenegrin FM accuses Moscow of meddling his country’s internal affairs
- 29.05.2017NATO PA spring session underway in Georgian capital
- 28.05.2017BA aims to resume most UK flights after IT failure
- 28.05.2017More than 1,500 migrants, refugees have died crossing Mediterranean in 2017: UN
- 27.05.2017Putin, Erdogan agree to develop coordination of efforts for settlement in Syria
- 27.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey, EU agree on year-long plan of actions to improve relations
- 27.05.2017G7 countries ready to tighten sanctions on Russia
- 27.05.2017Georgia's Defence Minister: We’re trying to ensure regional security jointly with Azerbaijan and Turkey more effectively
- 27.05.2017UK police arrest eleventh suspect of Manchester terror attack
- 27.05.2017G7 leaders reach impasse on climate, urge cyber crackdown
- 26.05.2017Bomb threat at Place de la République in Paris – major evacuation and lockdown
- 26.05.2017G7 leaders sign Declaration on fight against terrorism
- 26.05.2017Estonia expels two Russian diplomats, Moscow says 'unfriendly' act
- 26.05.2017NATO says it sees stability in South Caucasus as priority
- 26.05.201729 terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 26.05.2017Ankara criticizes US resolution over DC clash
- 26.05.2017Manchester police searching house in Wigan after Monday's deadly terror attack
- 26.05.2017Stoltenberg: NATO to become part of US-led coalition against Daesh
- 25.05.2017Former Greek prime minister injured in explosion
- 25.05.2017Turkish FM says it is time for EU to decide on Turkey
- 25.05.2017UK: Additional arrests in bomb investigation
- 25.05.2017Turkey denies restricting Russian agricultural imports
- 24.05.2017Manchester bomber was part of a network: police
- 24.05.2017Counter-terrorism police arrest man at Standsted Airport
- 24.05.2017G7 States to adopt special statement on anti-terror fight after Manchester blast
- 24.05.2017Turkish foreign minister arrives in Rome
- 24.05.2017UK Prime Minister raises terror threat level, says next attack 'imminent'
- 23.05.2017Ethiopian former health minister elected new director general of World Health Organization
- 23.05.2017Erdogan: "Be careful when naming Turkish sports centers"
- 23.05.2017Manchester's Arndale shopping center evacuated, witnesses heard "big bang"
- 23.05.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attack
- 23.05.2017Children among 22 killed in Manchester Arena attack - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017Theresa May calls Manchester Arena Explosion 'an appalling terrorist attack'
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 17.04.2017Turkey blasts OSCE 'bias' in referendum report
- 18.04.2017We won't consider OSCE report on referendum: Erdogan
- 18.04.2017Turkish Cabinet decides to extend state of emergency for 3 months - UPDATED
- 17.04.20171 soldier martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 17.04.2017OSCE: Turkey referendum contested ‘on an unlevel playing field’
- 17.04.2017Brother Saakashvili deprived of right to permanent residence in Ukraine