5 die in Portugal plane crash: Local media
Five people were killed when a Swiss-registered light aircraft crashed into a supermarket parking lot in Tires, Cascais, on the outskirts of the Portuguese capital Lisbon, according to local media reports Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Four of the victims were the French pilot and three passengers aboard the plane, including two French nationals and one Swiss, the English language media outlet Portugal News said, adding that the victim on the ground was understood to be a truck driver.
The incident happened at 11.05 a.m. local time (1105GMT) shortly after the plane, a P-31 light aircraft, took off from Cascais Municipal Aerodome, the airport confirmed in a statement.
The flight of private operator Symbios Orthopaedic was headed to the French city of Marseilles, it said.
The plane had reportedly arrived in Portugal last Friday from Geneva.
The aircraft crashed approximately 2,000 metres after take off, according to Portugal's air crash investigation bureau.
Portugal's National Authority for Civil Protection said everything indicated there had been a mid-air explosion.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Turkey: Kurdish referendum threatens national security
- 22.09.2017Turkish council warns against northern Iraq referendum
- 22.09.2017Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbas resigns
- 22.09.2017Turkish president lambastes 'Islamic terror' epithet
- 22.09.2017EU Commission launches move to tax digital economy
- 21.09.2017Union protests against French labor reform losing steam
- 21.09.2017EU Foreign Policy Chief sees ‘no need’ to renegotiate Iran nuclear agreement
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss Syrian peace plan next week
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 17.04.2017Turkey blasts OSCE 'bias' in referendum report
- 18.04.2017We won't consider OSCE report on referendum: Erdogan
- 18.04.2017Turkish Cabinet decides to extend state of emergency for 3 months - UPDATED
- 17.04.20171 soldier martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 17.04.2017OSCE: Turkey referendum contested ‘on an unlevel playing field’
- 17.04.2017Brother Saakashvili deprived of right to permanent residence in Ukraine