5 die in Portugal plane crash: Local media
Five people were killed when a Swiss-registered light aircraft crashed into a supermarket parking lot in Tires, Cascais, on the outskirts of the Portuguese capital Lisbon, according to local media reports Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Four of the victims were the French pilot and three passengers aboard the plane, including two French nationals and one Swiss, the English language media outlet Portugal News said, adding that the victim on the ground was understood to be a truck driver.
The incident happened at 11.05 a.m. local time (1105GMT) shortly after the plane, a P-31 light aircraft, took off from Cascais Municipal Aerodome, the airport confirmed in a statement.
The flight of private operator Symbios Orthopaedic was headed to the French city of Marseilles, it said.
The plane had reportedly arrived in Portugal last Friday from Geneva.
The aircraft crashed approximately 2,000 metres after take off, according to Portugal's air crash investigation bureau.
Portugal's National Authority for Civil Protection said everything indicated there had been a mid-air explosion.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 21.04.2017Poland wants to bring Smolensk plane crash before Int’l Court of Justice
- 21.04.2017Governor of Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli, densely populated by Azerbaijanis, may quit
- 21.04.2017European Parliament President: "New UK government could reverse Brexit"
- 21.04.2017Erdogan says Trump will do what Obama failed to do
- 21.04.2017New shots fired near Paris Champs-Eysees avenue - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017One police officer killed, another wounded in Paris shooting
- 20.04.2017Turkish Air Force kills 11 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 19.04.2017Opposition’s request to annul Turkey referendum results denied
- 19.04.2017Death penalty is incompatible with CoE membership, PACE warns Turkey
- 19.04.2017Four dead in Greek military helicopter crash
- 19.04.2017Strong winds cause problems across Georgia’s Batumi
- 19.04.2017Cargo ship with 12 people aboard sinks in Black Sea
- 19.04.2017US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 18.04.201712 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Two suspects in terrorist attack preparation detained in France
- 18.04.2017'I will protect you!' Le Pen tells voters ahead of presidential election
- 18.04.2017US: Turkey needs to maintain political dialogue
- 18.04.2017Trump congratulates Erdogan for Yes win in referendum - UPDATED
- 16.04.201762 immigrants rescued from dinghy off south coast of Spain
- 15.04.2017Czech Republic should not accept refugees under EU quotas - Interior Minister
- 17.04.2017Turkey blasts OSCE 'bias' in referendum report
- 18.04.2017We won't consider OSCE report on referendum: Erdogan
- 18.04.2017Turkish Cabinet decides to extend state of emergency for 3 months - UPDATED
- 17.04.20171 soldier martyred in Turkey's southeast
- 17.04.2017OSCE: Turkey referendum contested ‘on an unlevel playing field’
- 17.04.2017Brother Saakashvili deprived of right to permanent residence in Ukraine