White House expecting Russia to expel Snowden back to U.S.
Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
Related news releases
- 28.10.2016Russian, Syrian, Iranian FMs begin tripartite meeting in Moscow
- 27.10.2016Putin: Russia is not going to attack anyone
- 27.10.2016Russia, Syrian, Iran FMs to meet in Moscow
- 27.10.2016Kremlin pays no attention to Kiev's protest over Putin’s trip to Crimea
- 26.10.2016Armenian FM to visit France
- 26.10.2016Graves of 206 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II unearthed in Moldova
- 26.10.2016Rahmon gets title ‘Founder of Independent Tajikistan’
- 25.10.2016IAC reveals details of plane crash that killed Total CEO
- 25.10.2016Lavrov, Kerry discuss Syrian situation
- 22.10.2016Plane en route to Minsk forced to return to Kiev, because of Armenian citizen
- 22.10.2016Nineteen people killed, 3 injured in helicopter crash landing in Russia's Yamal
- 21.10.2016BP says Russian gas to remain attractive for Europe
- 20.10.2016Militants attack Syrian army positions near Castello road in Aleppo
- 19.10.2016Acting Uzbek leader nominated as presidential candidate
- 18.10.2016Iraqi Mosul to face humanitarian catastrophe - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 17.10.2016Russia announces pause in Syria attacks
- 17.10.2016Armenian soldier detained for killing fellow soldier
- 15.10.2016CSTO leaders to elect secretary general in St. Petersburg
- 14.10.2016Putin in Yerevan for CSTO meeting
- 14.10.2016Moscow-Yerevan bus crash leaves 5 dead, 32 injured
- 14.10.2016Putin ratifies agreement on Russian air group deployment in Syria
- 13.10.2016Russia discloses reason for arms supplies to Armenia
- 13.10.2016Russia to continue to strengthen military-technical co-op with Armenia
- 13.10.2016Kazakh leader's daughter speaks on father’s health
- 13.10.2016Russia's Putin says Aleppo war crimes accusations are 'rhetoric'
- 12.10.2016Putin: Western sanctions affect Russia in limiting access to technology
- 12.10.2016Russia cannot extradite Snowden to US - ambassador
- 11.10.2016Russia’s FSB chief says 95 militants eliminated in North Caucasus since early 2016
- 11.10.2016Russia forced to take adequate measures in response to US missile defense plans
- 11.10.2016Putin cancels visit to France amid Syria tensions
- 11.10.2016Putin due in Armenia for CSTO meeting
- 10.10.2016Russia, Turkey sign Turkish Stream agreement
- 10.10.2016No real reason to say era of hydrocarbons ending - Putin
- 10.10.2016Putin discusses Turkish Stream pipeline project development with Erdogan
- 10.10.2016Russia plans permanent navy base in Syria's Tartus
- 09.10.2016Russia blocks French UN security council ceasefire resolution on Syria's Aleppo
- 08.10.2016US has no serious proofs against Russia regarding hacker attacks - foreign ministry
- 07.10.2016Russian parliament ratifies indefinite deployment of Air Force in Syria
- 07.10.2016Putin dismisses more than 10 generals from Interior Ministry
- 07.10.2016Kremlin gives no comment on Russia's plans for military bases in Cuba, Vietnam
- 25.06.2013Russian cosmonauts start space walk at ISS
- 25.06.201337 Vehicles Collide in South Russia
- 25.06.2013Ex-Serviceman Jailed for Murder of Dagestan Police Chief
- 23.06.2013Three Hurt in Minsk Bus Stop Shooting
- 22.06.2013Police Arrest Former Legislator Over Tuva Wrestler Murder
- 22.06.2013Ukrainians Divided over Customs Union, EU Aspirations