White House expecting Russia to expel Snowden back to U.S.
Baku-APA. The White House said on Monday that it was expecting Russia to look at the options available to expel fugitive U.S. intelligence leaker Edward Snowden back to the country.
"It is our assumption that he is in Russia," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a regular press briefing.
"I would say that we are, obviously, in conversations, and that we are working with them or discussing with them and -- or rather, expecting them to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States to face justice for the crimes with which he is charged," he said.
Snowden, 30, was charged by Washington with espionage and theft of government property following his disclosure of massive secret phone and Internet surveillance programs of the National Security Agency (NSA).
Snowden, the target of a U.S. arrest warrant, left Hong Kong on Sunday aboard a flight and landed in Moscow, as he is reportedly seeking asylum in Ecuador.
"I would note that given our intensified cooperation with Russia, after the Boston Marathon bombings, and our history of working with Russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to Russia at the request of the Russian government, that we do expect the Russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States," Carney said.
A Russian official, however, said Monday that the United States has no right to demand the arrest and extradition of Snowden by Russia.
Besides, the former NSA contractor has not committed any crime in Russia, nor have Russian authorities received any request from the International Criminal Police Organization on arrest, said Russian human rights ombudsman Vladimir Lukin.
Related news releases
- 24.07.2016Armed group refuses a mediator in the negotiations with the authorities in Yerevan
- 23.07.2016Armed group released 2 hostages in Yerevan
- 23.07.2016Lavrov: Rebuilding coop. with Turkey depends on Syria
- 23.07.2016Russian serviceman killed by self-detonating bomb in Syria
- 22.07.2016Kerry, Russian foreign minister to discuss Syria in coming days
- 22.07.2016Russian FM talks on US pre-conditions of co-op on Syria
- 21.07.2016Police disperse protesters in Yerevan - UPDATED
- 20.07.2016Putin, Erdogan to meet in early August - Kremlin
- 20.07.2016Car explosion kills prominent journalist Pavel Sheremet
- 20.07.2016Lefortovo court in a closed regime arrested the Deputy head of the own security service of the TFR
- 19.07.2016Situation tense near Yerevan police headquarters, 4 policemen injured - UPDATED - 1
- 18.07.2016Gunmen kill two policemen in Almaty
- 17.07.2016Shopping mall in Moscow evacuated amid bomb threat
- 15.07.2016Kerry’s delegation takes time-out in talks with Lavrov — Foreign Ministry
- 15.07.2016Lavrov, Kerry hold talks in Moscow
- 15.07.2016Central Asia, Caucasus Republics at risk of Syria-style crises – Shoigu
- 14.07.2016Russia offers to fly warplanes more safely over Baltics
- 13.07.2016Fatal traffic accident kills 7, injures 26 people in Dagestan
- 12.07.2016Belarus inflation rises to 7.4 pct in first half of 2016
- 11.07.2016Demographic situation in Armenia ‘critical’ – expert
- 11.07.2016Iran endorses visa-free regime with Armenia
- 10.07.2016Gorbachev: 'The next war will be the last'
- 08.07.2016NATO’s Russia concerns are ‘absurd’: Kremlin
- 07.07.2016Armored SUV owned by Saakashvili stolen in Kiev
- 07.07.2016Belarus wants normalization of relations with U.S.
- 04.07.2016EU special representative for South Caucasus to arrive in Armenia on July 5
- 02.07.2016Three Azerbaijani citizens killed, two others wounded in a traffic accident in Russia
- 01.07.2016Family of deceased Russian pilot not to accept compensation from Turkey
- 01.07.2016Russian, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Sochi - UPDATED
- 01.07.2016Lavrov hopes Russia-Turkey contacts to set right tone for normalization
- 01.07.2016Constructive dialogue within BSEC can contribute to fight against terrorism – secretary general
- 01.07.2016Russian military ends preparation for large-scale exercises in Armenia
- 01.07.2016Heavy rainfall cause flood killing 1, injuring 5 in Russia’s Rostov-on-Don
- 30.06.2016Russian president signs a decree on abolishing restrictions in respect with Turkey
- 30.06.2016Putin: Turkey apologizes to Russia
- 30.06.2016Russia to lift sanctions against Turkey ‘gradually’
- 30.06.2016Armenian parliament ratifies treaty on joint air defense system with Russia
- 30.06.201681% Russians support Putin
- 30.06.2016Six radical Islamists detained in Kazakhstan, one blows himself up
- 29.06.2016Putin extends counter sanctions
- 25.06.2013Russian cosmonauts start space walk at ISS
- 25.06.201337 Vehicles Collide in South Russia
- 25.06.2013Ex-Serviceman Jailed for Murder of Dagestan Police Chief
- 23.06.2013Three Hurt in Minsk Bus Stop Shooting
- 22.06.2013Police Arrest Former Legislator Over Tuva Wrestler Murder
- 22.06.2013Ukrainians Divided over Customs Union, EU Aspirations