UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Thursday that UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura had confirmed the role of the Syrian National Dialogue Congress for intra-Syrian talks in Geneva, APA reports quoting İTAR-TASS.
"In a conversation with me, de Mistura was specifically encouraged by the fact that heated debates that at times could be heard at the congress made it clear that the event had not been choreographed, but indeed ensured a democratic presentation of views by different representatives of the Syrian society," Lavrov said.
"Staffan de Mistura told me that the congress significantly helps his efforts to revitalize the Geneva talks and make them viable," Lavrov said.
The participants in the Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi adopted a 12-point statement, which outlined Syrians’ views on their country’s future. It noted that Syria must preserve its sovereignty and territorial integrity, while only the Syrian people can determine their future through elections. The Syrians also asked UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to provide assistance in organizing the work of the constitutional commission whose mandate will be determined within the framework of the Geneva process.
In their joint statement, the participants reiterated their commitment to Syria’s territorial integrity, the war on terror and preventing religious fanaticism. They also spoke out in favor of creating a unified army and holding free elections, which are to determine the country’s destiny.
According to organizers, the Syrian congress brought together 1,511 delegates representing all strata of Syrian society. Most of the delegates (94.5%) were Arabs but there were also Kurds, Yazidis, Assyrians, Armenians, Circassians, Chechens, Dagestanis, Abkhazians, Turkomans and the Druze among the delegates. Key regional and international players had been invited as observers.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Pashinyan: We are not going to hold closed-door talks
- 26.04.2018Russian President and Armenia’s Acting PM hold phone call
- 26.04.2018Armenia ARF ministers, provincial governors resign
- 26.04.2018Armenia parliament to discuss election of new PM in early May
- 26.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan resigns as chairman of Armenia’s ruling party
- 25.04.2018Armenian opposition bloc to nominate protest leader Pashinyan as PM
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s Dashnaktsutyun leaves ruling coalition
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s acting sport minister resigns
- 25.04.2018West conceals details of military drills from Russian inspectors — foreign ministry
- 25.04.2018Acing PM issues statement over cancellation of meeting with Nikol Pashinyan
- 25.04.2018Leader of Karabakh separatists called on Pashinyan for dialogue
- 25.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry comments on US missile defense system’s buildup
- 24.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan says ready to be Armenia’s premier
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"