UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Thursday that UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura had confirmed the role of the Syrian National Dialogue Congress for intra-Syrian talks in Geneva, APA reports quoting İTAR-TASS.
"In a conversation with me, de Mistura was specifically encouraged by the fact that heated debates that at times could be heard at the congress made it clear that the event had not been choreographed, but indeed ensured a democratic presentation of views by different representatives of the Syrian society," Lavrov said.
"Staffan de Mistura told me that the congress significantly helps his efforts to revitalize the Geneva talks and make them viable," Lavrov said.
The participants in the Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi adopted a 12-point statement, which outlined Syrians’ views on their country’s future. It noted that Syria must preserve its sovereignty and territorial integrity, while only the Syrian people can determine their future through elections. The Syrians also asked UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to provide assistance in organizing the work of the constitutional commission whose mandate will be determined within the framework of the Geneva process.
In their joint statement, the participants reiterated their commitment to Syria’s territorial integrity, the war on terror and preventing religious fanaticism. They also spoke out in favor of creating a unified army and holding free elections, which are to determine the country’s destiny.
According to organizers, the Syrian congress brought together 1,511 delegates representing all strata of Syrian society. Most of the delegates (94.5%) were Arabs but there were also Kurds, Yazidis, Assyrians, Armenians, Circassians, Chechens, Dagestanis, Abkhazians, Turkomans and the Druze among the delegates. Key regional and international players had been invited as observers.
Related news releases
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 31.01.2018Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended
- 27.01.2018Russia says new U.S. sanctions are destructive step, will retaliate: RIA
- 26.01.201815 people die from hypothermia in Bishkek in January
- 25.01.2018Zakharova says Turkey is a difficult partner
- 25.01.2018Zakharova: ‘Any country’s destructive intervention in election campaign in Russia will be dealt with harshly’
- 25.01.2018Search operation for missing Russian fishing boat in Sea of Japan
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 20.01.2018Russian, US army chiefs discuss Syria by phone
- 19.01.2018U.S. funding hold will hurt U.N. effort to help Palestinian refugees: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.2018Yelk bloc holds protest action against price hike in Armenia
- 19.01.2018Police raid Makhachkala mayor’s house and office
- 19.01.2018Russia not going to join Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons — Lavrov
- 18.01.2018Ukrainian parliament adopts law on Donbas reintegration
- 18.01.2018Bus fire in Kazakhstan: Short circuit a preliminary cause of fire
- 18.01.2018Putin says some CIS countries could become Eurasian Economic Union observers
- 18.01.2018Turkish chief of staff, intelligence chief in Russia for Syria talks
- 17.01.2018Putin is in good shape, Kremlin says
- 17.01.2018Businessman, son killed in Russia’s Orenburg
- 16.01.2018Armenia army general staff deputy chief’s son dies in car crash
- 16.01.2018Yerevan minibus drivers go on strike
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"