Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
Ukrainian MP Maxim Kuryachiy, who also heads the Ukraine-Azerbaijan inter-parliamentary working group, has criticized the Zaporozhye Regional Council for its statement on the so-called “Armenian genocide”.
No local council in Ukraine has the right to submit issues of strategic importance for nationwide discussion, Kuryachiy told APA on Wednesday.
“This is not at their [deputies of the Zaporozhye Regional Council] level. We shouldn’t allow a split in Ukrainian society. There can be no such an issue on the agenda of the Verkhovna Rada. However, there are efforts to put it on the agenda”, he said.
The deputy noted that people ask about the issue: “Such questions are very complicated and cause concern. And this in turn causes concern to the Azerbaijani and Turkish diplomatic authorities,” he added.
“Every time when the relations between Azerbaijan and Ukraine are moving to a new level, political, economic and cultural ties are strengthening, attempts are being made to weaken the promising cooperation by any means,” Kuryachiy stressed.
According to him, those who resort to such attempts are trying to put Ukraine face to face with its reliable partners.
The deputy called on the Ukrainian society to show restraint and avoid political manipulation.
Azerbaijan’s Embassy in Ukraine was unavailable for comment on the matter.
The United Diaspora of Ukrainian Azerbaijanis had earlier appealed to Andriy Parubiy, Speaker of Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada (parliament) in protest at the statement made at the 11th session of the Zaporozhye Regional Council on the occasion of the anniversary of the so-called “Armenian genocide”.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Putin urges his rivals to maintain dialogue, pool efforts in the country’s interests
- 18.03.2018Voting begins in Russian 2018 presidential election
- 17.03.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey to assist UN to draft constitutional reform in Syria - Lavrov
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska