Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
Ukrainian MP Maxim Kuryachiy, who also heads the Ukraine-Azerbaijan inter-parliamentary working group, has criticized the Zaporozhye Regional Council for its statement on the so-called “Armenian genocide”.
No local council in Ukraine has the right to submit issues of strategic importance for nationwide discussion, Kuryachiy told APA on Wednesday.
“This is not at their [deputies of the Zaporozhye Regional Council] level. We shouldn’t allow a split in Ukrainian society. There can be no such an issue on the agenda of the Verkhovna Rada. However, there are efforts to put it on the agenda”, he said.
The deputy noted that people ask about the issue: “Such questions are very complicated and cause concern. And this in turn causes concern to the Azerbaijani and Turkish diplomatic authorities,” he added.
“Every time when the relations between Azerbaijan and Ukraine are moving to a new level, political, economic and cultural ties are strengthening, attempts are being made to weaken the promising cooperation by any means,” Kuryachiy stressed.
According to him, those who resort to such attempts are trying to put Ukraine face to face with its reliable partners.
The deputy called on the Ukrainian society to show restraint and avoid political manipulation.
Azerbaijan’s Embassy in Ukraine was unavailable for comment on the matter.
The United Diaspora of Ukrainian Azerbaijanis had earlier appealed to Andriy Parubiy, Speaker of Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada (parliament) in protest at the statement made at the 11th session of the Zaporozhye Regional Council on the occasion of the anniversary of the so-called “Armenian genocide”.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb
- 27.06.2017Russia's Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson discuss Syrian conflict
- 24.06.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Conflict around Qatar should be settled by diplomatic means
- 23.06.2017Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala
- 16.06.2017Putin: US Always Interfered in Russian Elections, Especially in 2012
- 15.06.2017Putin says Russia ready for constructive dialogue with USA
- 15.06.2017Putin: Russia will analyze situation in Donbass to take right decision
- 15.06.2017Putin says ready to cooperate with opposition
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 14.06.2017Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police
- 10.06.2017Two killed in shooting in Moscow region
- 09.06.2017Granddaughter of Cold War-era Soviet leader dies after being hit by train near Moscow
- 09.06.2017US policies unchanged now matter who is in power — Putin
- 08.06.2017Blast reported on U.S. embassy compound in Kyiv
- 08.06.2017Lavrov says Russia will not unilaterally abolish visas for EU countries
- 07.06.2017Russian, Iranian foreign ministers urge Qatar and Arab states to start dialogue
- 07.06.2017Kremlin: Putin, Trump may not make statement to press after possible meeting
- 06.06.2017Lavrov: Russia not against Balkan economic integration in Europe
- 06.06.2017Russian education minister proposes CIS countries readopt Cyrillic alphabet
- 06.06.2017Russia cuts its contribution to PACE by almost 11 mln euros
- 06.06.2017Moscow Aims to revise cooperation programs with Montenegro as country joins NATO
- 03.06.2017Putin praises Trump, says U.S. spies may have faked hacking evidence
- 02.06.2017Investigation launched into death of Armenian soldier
- 02.06.2017Putin says global economy faces systemic challenges, no time for quarrels
- 01.06.2017Secretary general emphasizes need to reform United Nations
- 31.05.2017Russia expels 5 Moldovan diplomats
- 31.05.2017Russia says relations with Azerbaijan are valuable
- 31.05.2017Putin believes NATO expansion policy is short-sighted
- 31.05.2017Putin believes it is too early to talk about candidates for 2018 presidential elections
- 30.05.2017CIS Heads of State Council to meet in Sochi
- 30.05.2017Soldier dies as Russian transport plane crash-lands after training flight
- 30.05.2017Over 30,000 people in three Russian regions remain without electricity after storm
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska