Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
Ukrainian MP Maxim Kuryachiy, who also heads the Ukraine-Azerbaijan inter-parliamentary working group, has criticized the Zaporozhye Regional Council for its statement on the so-called “Armenian genocide”.
No local council in Ukraine has the right to submit issues of strategic importance for nationwide discussion, Kuryachiy told APA on Wednesday.
“This is not at their [deputies of the Zaporozhye Regional Council] level. We shouldn’t allow a split in Ukrainian society. There can be no such an issue on the agenda of the Verkhovna Rada. However, there are efforts to put it on the agenda”, he said.
The deputy noted that people ask about the issue: “Such questions are very complicated and cause concern. And this in turn causes concern to the Azerbaijani and Turkish diplomatic authorities,” he added.
“Every time when the relations between Azerbaijan and Ukraine are moving to a new level, political, economic and cultural ties are strengthening, attempts are being made to weaken the promising cooperation by any means,” Kuryachiy stressed.
According to him, those who resort to such attempts are trying to put Ukraine face to face with its reliable partners.
The deputy called on the Ukrainian society to show restraint and avoid political manipulation.
Azerbaijan’s Embassy in Ukraine was unavailable for comment on the matter.
The United Diaspora of Ukrainian Azerbaijanis had earlier appealed to Andriy Parubiy, Speaker of Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada (parliament) in protest at the statement made at the 11th session of the Zaporozhye Regional Council on the occasion of the anniversary of the so-called “Armenian genocide”.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Russian foreign ministry: US anti-missile systems in Eastern Europe violate INF Treaty
- 29.04.2017Charges filed against rectors of three private universities in Armenia
- 29.04.2017Over 20 feared buried after landslide hits southern Kyrgyzstan
- 28.04.2017Merkel to discuss Ukrainian crisis, Syria with Putin
- 28.04.2017Russian prosecutors confirm bid urging Interpol to put Ukraine’s ex-PM on wanted list
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 21.04.2017Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert
- 18.04.2017Normandy Four states point out importance of Easter ceasefire in Donbass
- 17.04.2017Suspected organizer of St. Petersburg metro attack detained near Moscow
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 12.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow wants to know Trump administration’s real intentions
- 12.04.2017Putin says Russia's faith in US has waned since Trump's inauguration
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska