Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council has made a decision to suspend participation in coordination councils of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), an assembly of post-Soviet republics, APA reports quoting TASS.
"The Security Council supported the proposals to cancel Ukrainian representatives’ participation in activities of the CIS bodies, and instructed Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry to take measures in compliance with the established procedure to terminate some interstate agreements," the press service said.
Earlier on Wednesday, before the Council’s meeting President Pyotr Poroshenko said that proposals to recall Ukrainian envoys from the CIS coordination councils would be drawn up in the near future. Therefore, Ukraine would stop its participation within the CIS. Poroshenko pointed out that it did not mean the withdrawal from the CIS since Ukraine had never been its member.
On April 12, Poroshenko instructed the government to draft a document on Ukraine’s official termination of participation in CIS activities and instructed the cabinet to launch a procedure of Ukraine’s official withdrawal from the CIS constituent bodies. On April 23, Chairman of the CIS Executive Committee, CIS Executive Secretary Sergei Lebedev said that the country had not submitted an official notification of its intention to withdraw from the Commonwealth’s bodies.
Back in 1991, Ukraine ratified the agreement establishing the CIS and the protocol to the agreement, but did not ratify the Commonwealth’s Charter, so the country did not become the CIS member de jure. Nevertheless, Kiev participated in the organization’s work, although not at all levels. In 2014, after a change of power in Kiev, the new leadership announced plans to withdraw from the CIS. In October 2014, a relevant bill was submitted to the Verkhovna Rada (parliament), but has not been considered until now.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2018Russia says U.S. indictment over election meddling is groundless
- 12.07.2018Russian Foreign Ministry calls NATO 'Useless Military Bloc'
- 11.07.2018Yerevan experiences power outage
- 10.07.2018Kremlin pins American senator’s harsh swipe at Russia on US Deep State ‘pressure’
- 08.07.2018Armenian court issues arrest warrant for ex-president’s brother Levon Sargsyan and his daughter
- 06.07.2018Large fire breaks out in residential house in central Moscow
- 03.07.2018Armenian trucks stuck at Russia-Georgia border – ministry
- 02.07.2018Kremlin says political resolve for establishing Russia-US dialogue will prevail
- 28.06.2018Trump to meet with Putin July 16 in Finland
- 25.06.2018Sargsyan’s brother detained by police
- 25.06.2018Top Russian, Iranian diplomats mull preparations for summit of Caspian states
- 24.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8