Ukraine signs deal with France to buy 55 Airbus helicopters
Ukraine signed a preliminary agreement on Friday with France to buy 55 helicopters from a division of Airbus to be used by the police, border guards and emergency services.
The deal was announced during a visit to Kiev by French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, who underlined French support for Ukraine in its standoff with Russia but also urged the authorities to do more to tackle corruption at home.
The visit comes at a time when France may follow Britain’s lead in taking measures against Russia in retaliation for a nerve agent attack on British soil against a Russian spy.
Ukraine envisages the first delivery of helicopters this year, the Ukrainian interior ministry said in a statement. The order is for a mixture of Н145, Н125 and Н225 models.
The value of the deal was not disclosed.
After meeting with Le Drian, Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman forecast that trade turnover between Ukraine and France could grow to as much as $3.5 billion from $2 billion in 2016.
“France is a reliable, strategic partner,” Groysman said. “We sincerely value France’s support of Ukraine’s sovereignty.”
France, along with Germany, has spearheaded international efforts to find a resolution to Ukraine’s nearly four-year-old conflict with Russia-backed separatists in which over 10,000 people have been killed.
In a briefing, Le Drian said France had decided to pledge 500,000 euros ($617,000) in additional humanitarian aid for the conflict-hit eastern Donbass region.
“I want to express our concern over the situation, which remains critical,” he said.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Armenian opposition bloc to nominate protest leader Pashinyan as PM
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s Dashnaktsutyun leaves ruling coalition
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s acting sport minister resigns
- 25.04.2018West conceals details of military drills from Russian inspectors — foreign ministry
- 25.04.2018Acing PM issues statement over cancellation of meeting with Nikol Pashinyan
- 25.04.2018Leader of Karabakh separatists called on Pashinyan for dialogue
- 25.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry comments on US missile defense system’s buildup
- 24.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan says ready to be Armenia’s premier
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 24.03.2018Militant killed in counterterrorism operation in Dagestan aligned with IS
- 25.03.2018EU recalls ambassador from Moscow as required sign of its solidarity with UK - Kremlin
- 26.03.2018At least 53 dead in Siberian shopping mall fire
- 23.03.2018Ukraine's Savchenko goes on hunger strike over detention
- 23.03.2018Results of Russian presidential election revealed
- 19.03.2018Putin urges his rivals to maintain dialogue, pool efforts in the country’s interests