Ukraine signs deal with France to buy 55 Airbus helicopters
Ukraine signed a preliminary agreement on Friday with France to buy 55 helicopters from a division of Airbus to be used by the police, border guards and emergency services.
The deal was announced during a visit to Kiev by French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, who underlined French support for Ukraine in its standoff with Russia but also urged the authorities to do more to tackle corruption at home.
The visit comes at a time when France may follow Britain’s lead in taking measures against Russia in retaliation for a nerve agent attack on British soil against a Russian spy.
Ukraine envisages the first delivery of helicopters this year, the Ukrainian interior ministry said in a statement. The order is for a mixture of Н145, Н125 and Н225 models.
The value of the deal was not disclosed.
After meeting with Le Drian, Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman forecast that trade turnover between Ukraine and France could grow to as much as $3.5 billion from $2 billion in 2016.
“France is a reliable, strategic partner,” Groysman said. “We sincerely value France’s support of Ukraine’s sovereignty.”
France, along with Germany, has spearheaded international efforts to find a resolution to Ukraine’s nearly four-year-old conflict with Russia-backed separatists in which over 10,000 people have been killed.
In a briefing, Le Drian said France had decided to pledge 500,000 euros ($617,000) in additional humanitarian aid for the conflict-hit eastern Donbass region.
“I want to express our concern over the situation, which remains critical,” he said.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Russian FM demands release of citizen detained in US
- 18.07.2018Mass flooding leaves Russia's Krasnodar trapped under water
- 16.07.2018Putin calls summit first step towards ‘clearing backlog’ in Russia-US relations
- 14.07.2018Russia says U.S. indictment over election meddling is groundless
- 12.07.2018Russian Foreign Ministry calls NATO 'Useless Military Bloc'
- 11.07.2018Yerevan experiences power outage
- 10.07.2018Kremlin pins American senator’s harsh swipe at Russia on US Deep State ‘pressure’
- 08.07.2018Armenian court issues arrest warrant for ex-president’s brother Levon Sargsyan and his daughter
- 06.07.2018Large fire breaks out in residential house in central Moscow
- 03.07.2018Armenian trucks stuck at Russia-Georgia border – ministry
- 02.07.2018Kremlin says political resolve for establishing Russia-US dialogue will prevail
- 28.06.2018Trump to meet with Putin July 16 in Finland
- 25.06.2018Sargsyan’s brother detained by police
- 25.06.2018Top Russian, Iranian diplomats mull preparations for summit of Caspian states
- 24.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 24.03.2018Militant killed in counterterrorism operation in Dagestan aligned with IS
- 25.03.2018EU recalls ambassador from Moscow as required sign of its solidarity with UK - Kremlin
- 26.03.2018At least 53 dead in Siberian shopping mall fire
- 23.03.2018Ukraine's Savchenko goes on hunger strike over detention
- 23.03.2018Results of Russian presidential election revealed
- 19.03.2018Putin urges his rivals to maintain dialogue, pool efforts in the country’s interests