Ukraine says pro-Russian separatists kill 5 troops
Five Ukrainian soldiers were killed and 14 others injured in the last 24 hours in attacks launched by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, a security official said Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Unfortunately, five Ukrainian soldiers lost their lives and 14 others were injured during the operations in the last 24 hours," said Oleksandr Motuzyanyk, defense ministry spokesman for the Anti-Terrorist Operation-related issues.
Motuzyanyk added the situation remained tense in Avdiyivka's industrial zone, where pro-Russian separatists also shelled residential areas, injuring two civilians.
Fifteen separatists were killed and 24 others wounded during the operation, he added.
Ukraine has been wracked by conflict since April 2014 following Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine.
Crimea was annexed by Moscow in March 2014 on the heels of violent anti-government protests which led to the overthrow of the then-President Victor Yanukovich.
Fighting between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russia separatists has seen more than 9,600 killed, according to the UN.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 21.04.2017Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert
- 18.04.2017Normandy Four states point out importance of Easter ceasefire in Donbass
- 17.04.2017Suspected organizer of St. Petersburg metro attack detained near Moscow
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 31.01.2017Azerbaijani became the new Deputy Minister of Economic Development of Russia
- 02.02.2017Ukraine's Poroshenko vows to hold referendum on NATO membership
- 02.02.2017Belarus set to quit EAEU, CSTO: media
- 29.01.2017Putin, Trump agree to keep in touch - Kremlin
- 28.01.2017Russia, Iran agree Astana talks 'efficient platform' for Syrian settlement
- 27.01.2017Armenian cadet dies at military unit medical facility