Ukraine says pro-Russian separatists kill 5 troops
Five Ukrainian soldiers were killed and 14 others injured in the last 24 hours in attacks launched by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, a security official said Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Unfortunately, five Ukrainian soldiers lost their lives and 14 others were injured during the operations in the last 24 hours," said Oleksandr Motuzyanyk, defense ministry spokesman for the Anti-Terrorist Operation-related issues.
Motuzyanyk added the situation remained tense in Avdiyivka's industrial zone, where pro-Russian separatists also shelled residential areas, injuring two civilians.
Fifteen separatists were killed and 24 others wounded during the operation, he added.
Ukraine has been wracked by conflict since April 2014 following Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine.
Crimea was annexed by Moscow in March 2014 on the heels of violent anti-government protests which led to the overthrow of the then-President Victor Yanukovich.
Fighting between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russia separatists has seen more than 9,600 killed, according to the UN.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 31.01.2017Azerbaijani became the new Deputy Minister of Economic Development of Russia
- 02.02.2017Ukraine's Poroshenko vows to hold referendum on NATO membership
- 02.02.2017Belarus set to quit EAEU, CSTO: media
- 29.01.2017Putin, Trump agree to keep in touch - Kremlin
- 28.01.2017Russia, Iran agree Astana talks 'efficient platform' for Syrian settlement
- 27.01.2017Armenian cadet dies at military unit medical facility