Ukraine says pro-Russian separatists kill 5 troops
Five Ukrainian soldiers were killed and 14 others injured in the last 24 hours in attacks launched by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, a security official said Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Unfortunately, five Ukrainian soldiers lost their lives and 14 others were injured during the operations in the last 24 hours," said Oleksandr Motuzyanyk, defense ministry spokesman for the Anti-Terrorist Operation-related issues.
Motuzyanyk added the situation remained tense in Avdiyivka's industrial zone, where pro-Russian separatists also shelled residential areas, injuring two civilians.
Fifteen separatists were killed and 24 others wounded during the operation, he added.
Ukraine has been wracked by conflict since April 2014 following Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine.
Crimea was annexed by Moscow in March 2014 on the heels of violent anti-government protests which led to the overthrow of the then-President Victor Yanukovich.
Fighting between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russia separatists has seen more than 9,600 killed, according to the UN.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb
- 27.06.2017Russia's Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson discuss Syrian conflict
- 24.06.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Conflict around Qatar should be settled by diplomatic means
- 23.06.2017Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala
- 16.06.2017Putin: US Always Interfered in Russian Elections, Especially in 2012
- 15.06.2017Putin says Russia ready for constructive dialogue with USA
- 15.06.2017Putin: Russia will analyze situation in Donbass to take right decision
- 15.06.2017Putin says ready to cooperate with opposition
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 14.06.2017Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police
- 10.06.2017Two killed in shooting in Moscow region
- 09.06.2017Granddaughter of Cold War-era Soviet leader dies after being hit by train near Moscow
- 09.06.2017US policies unchanged now matter who is in power — Putin
- 08.06.2017Blast reported on U.S. embassy compound in Kyiv
- 08.06.2017Lavrov says Russia will not unilaterally abolish visas for EU countries
- 07.06.2017Russian, Iranian foreign ministers urge Qatar and Arab states to start dialogue
- 07.06.2017Kremlin: Putin, Trump may not make statement to press after possible meeting
- 06.06.2017Lavrov: Russia not against Balkan economic integration in Europe
- 06.06.2017Russian education minister proposes CIS countries readopt Cyrillic alphabet
- 06.06.2017Russia cuts its contribution to PACE by almost 11 mln euros
- 06.06.2017Moscow Aims to revise cooperation programs with Montenegro as country joins NATO
- 03.06.2017Putin praises Trump, says U.S. spies may have faked hacking evidence
- 02.06.2017Investigation launched into death of Armenian soldier
- 02.06.2017Putin says global economy faces systemic challenges, no time for quarrels
- 01.06.2017Secretary general emphasizes need to reform United Nations
- 31.05.2017Russia expels 5 Moldovan diplomats
- 31.05.2017Russia says relations with Azerbaijan are valuable
- 31.05.2017Putin believes NATO expansion policy is short-sighted
- 31.05.2017Putin believes it is too early to talk about candidates for 2018 presidential elections
- 30.05.2017CIS Heads of State Council to meet in Sochi
- 30.05.2017Soldier dies as Russian transport plane crash-lands after training flight
- 30.05.2017Over 30,000 people in three Russian regions remain without electricity after storm
- 31.01.2017Azerbaijani became the new Deputy Minister of Economic Development of Russia
- 02.02.2017Ukraine's Poroshenko vows to hold referendum on NATO membership
- 02.02.2017Belarus set to quit EAEU, CSTO: media
- 29.01.2017Putin, Trump agree to keep in touch - Kremlin
- 28.01.2017Russia, Iran agree Astana talks 'efficient platform' for Syrian settlement
- 27.01.2017Armenian cadet dies at military unit medical facility