Ukraine lines up over 22,000 snow cleaners after massive storm
Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
Related news releases
- 31.08.2016Russia calls on Turkey to coordinate Syria operations with Assad and avoid striking Kurds
- 31.08.2016Three radical groups neutralized in Kazakhstan
- 30.08.2016Kremlin says overnight reports on Uzbek leader's death unconfirmed
- 30.08.2016Kremlin: Putin-Obama meeting at G20 yet to be coordinated
- 29.08.2016Putin not to watch friendly football match in Turkey
- 29.08.2016Uzbek leader in stable condition after brain hemorrhage, says daughter
- 28.08.2016Anti-terror operation launched in Dagestan district in Russia’s North Caucasus
- 27.08.2016Iran, Russia sign 1B dollar contract to build offshore drilling rigs
- 27.08.2016Russian detained in Armenia on US request
- 27.08.2016Russia lifts restrictions on charter flights to Turkey
- 27.08.2016Casualties from Moscow fire are all Kyrgyz migrants
- 27.08.201617 dead in huge fire at Moscow warehouse - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Bankrupt Armenian businessman charged with taking hostages in Moscow bank to face 15 years in jail
- 26.08.2016Meeting of chiefs of Russian, Turkish General Staff delayed
- 26.08.2016Armenia still a Russian colony: The Huffington Post
- 25.08.2016Russian, Turkish General Staff chiefs to meet in Ankara
- 24.08.2016Man threatening to blow up building in Moscow surrenders to police
- 24.08.2016Over 2,500 Ukrainian servicemen killed in past 2.5 years - Poroshenko
- 23.08.2016Valery Permyakov sentenced to life in jail for murder of Armenian family
- 22.08.2016Russia: future use of Iranian air base depends on circumstances in Syria
- 22.08.2016Ukrainian prosecutor's office to nail on charges against 39 Russia citizens, including Russian defense minister
- 22.08.2016Russia's use of Iranian air base will depend on situation in Syria
- 22.08.2016Russia Investigative Committee: 350 children committed suicide this year
- 22.08.2016Saakashvili: Results of Ukraine at Rio Olympics 'disastrous'
- 19.08.2016Putin: Russia not going to cut off relations with Ukraine over Kiev’s plot in Crimea
- 19.08.2016Court to issue Permyakov verdict on August 23
- 19.08.2016Putin: Vital to revive economic ties with Ukraine
- 19.08.2016Saakashvili's wife to compete for seat in Georgian parliament
- 17.08.2016Men armed with axes, guns attack police station near Moscow, 2 officers injured - officials
- 16.08.2016Putin: Russia sincerely seeks to restore relations with Turkey
- 16.08.2016Armenia hosting meeting of CSTO member countries’ defence ministers
- 16.08.2016Armenian, Russian defense ministers discuss military cooperation
- 16.08.2016Russia’s base in Armenia is guarantor of stability in Caucasus – Defence Ministry
- 16.08.2016Russia says close to joint military action with U.S. in Aleppo
- 15.08.2016Russia prevented NATO’s cruise missile strikes on Syria – Shoygu
- 15.08.201618 hours of heavy rain throws life out of gear in Moscow
- 15.08.2016Lavrov: Turkey promised to consider establishing international control on border with Syria
- 15.08.2016Lavrov: Normandy dialogue affected by sabotage attempt in Crimea
- 15.08.2016No one is interested in cutting Russia-Ukraine ties – Lavrov
- 15.08.2016Russia holding large-scale military exercises in Caspian Sea
- 25.03.2013Russia to Retaliate If Magnitsky Act Goes Ahead – Putin Aide
- 25.03.2013Shoigu Urges Pentagon to Revive Missile Defense Dialogue
- 26.03.2013Assassination attempt made against Raffi Hovannisian, former presidential candidate going on hunger strike
- 25.03.2013Russia Seeks Return of Berezovsky Assets Abroad
- 25.03.2013Most heavy snowstorm of last 100 years leaves Kiev in blockade - PHOTOSESSION
- 24.03.2013Radiation Experts Join Berezovsky Death Probe – Police