Ukraine lines up over 22,000 snow cleaners after massive storm
Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
Related news releases
- 27.07.2016Doctor: “The leader of armed group in Yerevan is in serious condition”
- 27.07.2016Irregular shots are being fired from seized Erebuni police station
- 26.07.2016March kicks off from Yerevan’s Khorenatsi street to police and NSS buildings - UPDATED
- 26.07.2016Russian FSB searched the house of the head of the Federal customs service
- 26.07.2016Turkey ready to resume Turkish Stream project, says Russia
- 26.07.2016Armed group in Yerevan sets bus on fire at seized police station
- 24.07.2016Armed group refuses a mediator in the negotiations with the authorities in Yerevan
- 23.07.2016Armed group released 2 hostages in Yerevan
- 23.07.2016Lavrov: Rebuilding coop. with Turkey depends on Syria
- 23.07.2016Russian serviceman killed by self-detonating bomb in Syria
- 22.07.2016Kerry, Russian foreign minister to discuss Syria in coming days
- 22.07.2016Russian FM talks on US pre-conditions of co-op on Syria
- 21.07.2016Police disperse protesters in Yerevan - UPDATED
- 20.07.2016Putin, Erdogan to meet in early August - Kremlin
- 20.07.2016Car explosion kills prominent journalist Pavel Sheremet
- 20.07.2016Lefortovo court in a closed regime arrested the Deputy head of the own security service of the TFR
- 19.07.2016Situation tense near Yerevan police headquarters, 4 policemen injured - UPDATED - 1
- 18.07.2016Gunmen kill two policemen in Almaty
- 17.07.2016Shopping mall in Moscow evacuated amid bomb threat
- 15.07.2016Kerry’s delegation takes time-out in talks with Lavrov — Foreign Ministry
- 15.07.2016Lavrov, Kerry hold talks in Moscow
- 15.07.2016Central Asia, Caucasus Republics at risk of Syria-style crises – Shoigu
- 14.07.2016Russia offers to fly warplanes more safely over Baltics
- 13.07.2016Fatal traffic accident kills 7, injures 26 people in Dagestan
- 12.07.2016Belarus inflation rises to 7.4 pct in first half of 2016
- 11.07.2016Demographic situation in Armenia ‘critical’ – expert
- 11.07.2016Iran endorses visa-free regime with Armenia
- 10.07.2016Gorbachev: 'The next war will be the last'
- 08.07.2016NATO’s Russia concerns are ‘absurd’: Kremlin
- 07.07.2016Armored SUV owned by Saakashvili stolen in Kiev
- 07.07.2016Belarus wants normalization of relations with U.S.
- 04.07.2016EU special representative for South Caucasus to arrive in Armenia on July 5
- 02.07.2016Three Azerbaijani citizens killed, two others wounded in a traffic accident in Russia
- 01.07.2016Family of deceased Russian pilot not to accept compensation from Turkey
- 01.07.2016Russian, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Sochi - UPDATED
- 01.07.2016Lavrov hopes Russia-Turkey contacts to set right tone for normalization
- 01.07.2016Constructive dialogue within BSEC can contribute to fight against terrorism – secretary general
- 01.07.2016Russian military ends preparation for large-scale exercises in Armenia
- 01.07.2016Heavy rainfall cause flood killing 1, injuring 5 in Russia’s Rostov-on-Don
- 30.06.2016Russian president signs a decree on abolishing restrictions in respect with Turkey
- 25.03.2013Russia to Retaliate If Magnitsky Act Goes Ahead – Putin Aide
- 25.03.2013Shoigu Urges Pentagon to Revive Missile Defense Dialogue
- 26.03.2013Assassination attempt made against Raffi Hovannisian, former presidential candidate going on hunger strike
- 25.03.2013Russia Seeks Return of Berezovsky Assets Abroad
- 25.03.2013Most heavy snowstorm of last 100 years leaves Kiev in blockade - PHOTOSESSION
- 24.03.2013Radiation Experts Join Berezovsky Death Probe – Police