Ukraine lines up over 22,000 snow cleaners after massive storm
Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
Related news releases
- 25.10.2016Lavrov, Kerry discuss Syrian situation
- 22.10.2016Plane en route to Minsk forced to return to Kiev, because of Armenian citizen
- 22.10.2016Nineteen people killed, 3 injured in helicopter crash landing in Russia's Yamal
- 21.10.2016BP says Russian gas to remain attractive for Europe
- 20.10.2016Militants attack Syrian army positions near Castello road in Aleppo
- 19.10.2016Acting Uzbek leader nominated as presidential candidate
- 18.10.2016Iraqi Mosul to face humanitarian catastrophe - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 17.10.2016Russia announces pause in Syria attacks
- 17.10.2016Armenian soldier detained for killing fellow soldier
- 15.10.2016CSTO leaders to elect secretary general in St. Petersburg
- 14.10.2016Putin in Yerevan for CSTO meeting
- 14.10.2016Moscow-Yerevan bus crash leaves 5 dead, 32 injured
- 14.10.2016Putin ratifies agreement on Russian air group deployment in Syria
- 13.10.2016Russia discloses reason for arms supplies to Armenia
- 13.10.2016Russia to continue to strengthen military-technical co-op with Armenia
- 13.10.2016Kazakh leader's daughter speaks on father’s health
- 13.10.2016Russia's Putin says Aleppo war crimes accusations are 'rhetoric'
- 12.10.2016Putin: Western sanctions affect Russia in limiting access to technology
- 12.10.2016Russia cannot extradite Snowden to US - ambassador
- 11.10.2016Russia’s FSB chief says 95 militants eliminated in North Caucasus since early 2016
- 11.10.2016Russia forced to take adequate measures in response to US missile defense plans
- 11.10.2016Putin cancels visit to France amid Syria tensions
- 11.10.2016Putin due in Armenia for CSTO meeting
- 10.10.2016Russia, Turkey sign Turkish Stream agreement
- 10.10.2016No real reason to say era of hydrocarbons ending - Putin
- 10.10.2016Putin discusses Turkish Stream pipeline project development with Erdogan
- 10.10.2016Russia plans permanent navy base in Syria's Tartus
- 09.10.2016Russia blocks French UN security council ceasefire resolution on Syria's Aleppo
- 08.10.2016US has no serious proofs against Russia regarding hacker attacks - foreign ministry
- 07.10.2016Russian parliament ratifies indefinite deployment of Air Force in Syria
- 07.10.2016Putin dismisses more than 10 generals from Interior Ministry
- 07.10.2016Kremlin gives no comment on Russia's plans for military bases in Cuba, Vietnam
- 06.10.2016Lavrov: Russian S-300, S-400 air defense systems threaten no one in Syria
- 06.10.2016Russian FM due in Yerevan for CSTO meeting
- 05.10.2016Russia suspends nuclear agreement, ends uranium research pact with United States
- 05.10.2016Newspaper: Armenia ex-defense minister to join opposition
- 05.10.2016Russian defense ministry confirms work on 5th-generation nuclear sub
- 05.10.2016UNSC members' veto power key to global power balance - Russian foreign ministry
- 05.10.2016Russia has to play role in political solution in Syria – Theresa May
- 04.10.2016Putin due in Turkey for bilateral talks
- 25.03.2013Russia to Retaliate If Magnitsky Act Goes Ahead – Putin Aide
- 25.03.2013Shoigu Urges Pentagon to Revive Missile Defense Dialogue
- 26.03.2013Assassination attempt made against Raffi Hovannisian, former presidential candidate going on hunger strike
- 25.03.2013Russia Seeks Return of Berezovsky Assets Abroad
- 25.03.2013Most heavy snowstorm of last 100 years leaves Kiev in blockade - PHOTOSESSION
- 24.03.2013Radiation Experts Join Berezovsky Death Probe – Police