Ukraine lines up over 22,000 snow cleaners after massive storm
Baku-APA. Ukraine deployed an army of workers and vehicles on Monday to clear snow and assist thousands of people trapped after being stunned by some of the worst weather in living memory, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
More than 22,000 rescue and utilities workers, police and soldiers have been mobilized in a round-the-clock effort to mitigate the fallout of snowfall not seen for more than a century.
A state of emergency has been declared in the capital, Kiev. Air and railway services have faced widespread delays and cancellations in the city.
National weather monitoring officials say they have recorded a month’s worth of precipitation over the weekend – the first time that has happened in more then 100 years.
Efforts have been aimed restoring transportation links to 105 towns across six regions, authorities said.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says it deployed 317 mobile rescue posts to provide assistance to more than 3,200 people over a 24-hour period.
Related news releases
- 07.12.2016Central banks of Turkey, Russia plan to use national currencies in bilateral trade
- 07.12.2016European auditors say Ukraine still perceived as Europe’s most corrupted state
- 06.12.2016Russia says US cancels Aleppo talks
- 06.12.2016Russian, Turkish PMs meet in Moscow
- 06.12.2016Ukraine ready to join trilateral gas talks in Brussels
- 05.12.2016Heydar Jemal’s funeral to take place in Almaty
- 05.12.2016Uzbekistan PM Mirziyoyev wins presidential election
- 05.12.2016Russia’s FSB detains over 1,400 trespassers in joint op with Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan
- 04.12.2016Russian security service kills North Caucasus ISIS 'emir'
- 02.12.2016At least 8 killed in Libya clashes
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration
- 01.12.2016Russian economy is on way to recovery, Putin says
- 01.12.2016Atambayev: Russian military base must leave Kyrgyzstan
- 01.12.2016Ukraine starts missile launch drills near Crimea
- 01.12.2016Ukraine prepares missile test near Crimea, angering Russia
- 01.12.2016Lavrov and Kerry will discuss Ukraine at meeting in Rome
- 01.12.2016Russia says ready to escort aid agencies into eastern Aleppo
- 30.11.2016Russia, Armenia sign combined forces agreement
- 30.11.2016Putin says establishing relations with Trump is crucial for whole world
- 30.11.2016Kremlin expects Ankara’s explanation on Erdogan’s statement on Syria
- 30.11.2016Russia threatened Ukraine with missile strikes: sources
- 29.11.2016Ukraine's Yanukovich blames radicals for bloodshed at Maidan protests
- 25.11.2016Ex-President Yanukovych says supports Ukraine's territorial integrity
- 25.11.2016Putin presents Russian passport to Hollywood actor Seagal
- 25.11.2016Ivan Mikoyan, co-creator of iconic MiG-29, dies aged 89
- 24.11.2016Russian FM due in Turkey
- 23.11.2016Armenia to insist on its candidate for post of CSTO secretary general
- 23.11.2016Moscow says ready to build constructive relations with Washington
- 22.11.2016Ukraine detains two Russian soldiers near Crimean border
- 21.11.20163,200 Russians joined ISIS since start of conflict: government
- 19.11.2016Poroshenko questioned for 6 hours on Euromaidan - source
- 18.11.2016Ukrainian Prosecutor General: Saakashvili won’t be handed over to Georgia - UPDATED
- 18.11.2016Poroshenko expected to visit U.S. and meet with Trump
- 18.11.2016Armenian serviceman found dead with gunshot wounds
- 17.11.2016Moscow comments on State Dept spokesman’s remarks on RT
- 15.11.2016Russian economy minister officially charged with bribery
- 15.11.2016Putin, Medvedev discuss arrest of economy minister
- 15.11.2016Ukrainian politicians fight in parliament
- 15.11.2016Russian Economy Minister detained on suspicion of bribery
- 25.03.2013Russia to Retaliate If Magnitsky Act Goes Ahead – Putin Aide
- 25.03.2013Shoigu Urges Pentagon to Revive Missile Defense Dialogue
- 26.03.2013Assassination attempt made against Raffi Hovannisian, former presidential candidate going on hunger strike
- 25.03.2013Russia Seeks Return of Berezovsky Assets Abroad
- 25.03.2013Most heavy snowstorm of last 100 years leaves Kiev in blockade - PHOTOSESSION
- 24.03.2013Radiation Experts Join Berezovsky Death Probe – Police