Ukraine introduces biometric passports
Baku-APA. Under a new law signed into effect by President Viktor Yanukovych Thursday, Ukraine in the near future will introduce biometric passports in conformity with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) standards, presidential press-service reported, APA reports.
According to the new law, each Ukrainian citizen, regardless of his or her age, is obliged to obtain a passport, which contains a chip with electronic data. An ID number, digital images and digital signature will be the key elements of the new passport.
It is expected that the new passport will make it easier for Ukrainians to receive visas from European Union member states.
The previous version of the Ukrainian passports will remain valid until their official expiry dates.
Ukrainian parliament passed the law on November 20.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2016Plane en route to Minsk forced to return to Kiev, because of Armenian citizen
- 22.10.2016Nineteen people killed, 3 injured in helicopter crash landing in Russia's Yamal
- 21.10.2016BP says Russian gas to remain attractive for Europe
- 20.10.2016Militants attack Syrian army positions near Castello road in Aleppo
- 19.10.2016Acting Uzbek leader nominated as presidential candidate
- 18.10.2016Iraqi Mosul to face humanitarian catastrophe - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 17.10.2016Russia announces pause in Syria attacks
- 17.10.2016Armenian soldier detained for killing fellow soldier
- 15.10.2016CSTO leaders to elect secretary general in St. Petersburg
- 14.10.2016Putin in Yerevan for CSTO meeting
- 14.10.2016Moscow-Yerevan bus crash leaves 5 dead, 32 injured
- 14.10.2016Putin ratifies agreement on Russian air group deployment in Syria
- 13.10.2016Russia discloses reason for arms supplies to Armenia
- 13.10.2016Russia to continue to strengthen military-technical co-op with Armenia
- 13.10.2016Kazakh leader's daughter speaks on father’s health
- 13.10.2016Russia's Putin says Aleppo war crimes accusations are 'rhetoric'
- 12.10.2016Putin: Western sanctions affect Russia in limiting access to technology
- 12.10.2016Russia cannot extradite Snowden to US - ambassador
- 11.10.2016Russia’s FSB chief says 95 militants eliminated in North Caucasus since early 2016
- 11.10.2016Russia forced to take adequate measures in response to US missile defense plans
- 11.10.2016Putin cancels visit to France amid Syria tensions
- 11.10.2016Putin due in Armenia for CSTO meeting
- 10.10.2016Russia, Turkey sign Turkish Stream agreement
- 10.10.2016No real reason to say era of hydrocarbons ending - Putin
- 10.10.2016Putin discusses Turkish Stream pipeline project development with Erdogan
- 10.10.2016Russia plans permanent navy base in Syria's Tartus
- 09.10.2016Russia blocks French UN security council ceasefire resolution on Syria's Aleppo
- 08.10.2016US has no serious proofs against Russia regarding hacker attacks - foreign ministry
- 07.10.2016Russian parliament ratifies indefinite deployment of Air Force in Syria
- 07.10.2016Putin dismisses more than 10 generals from Interior Ministry
- 07.10.2016Kremlin gives no comment on Russia's plans for military bases in Cuba, Vietnam
- 06.10.2016Lavrov: Russian S-300, S-400 air defense systems threaten no one in Syria
- 06.10.2016Russian FM due in Yerevan for CSTO meeting
- 05.10.2016Russia suspends nuclear agreement, ends uranium research pact with United States
- 05.10.2016Newspaper: Armenia ex-defense minister to join opposition
- 05.10.2016Russian defense ministry confirms work on 5th-generation nuclear sub
- 05.10.2016UNSC members' veto power key to global power balance - Russian foreign ministry
- 05.10.2016Russia has to play role in political solution in Syria – Theresa May
- 04.10.2016Putin due in Turkey for bilateral talks
- 03.10.2016Putin suspends nuclear pact, raising stakes in row with Washington
- 30.11.2012EU's Barroso starts first visit in Moldova
- 30.11.2012UN Vote Must Lead to Constructive Mideast Dialogue – Russia
- 30.11.2012Kamchatka Volcano Eruption Destroys Science Camps
- 29.11.2012Member of Russian Federal Council: "Armenia is the main bulwark of Russia in the South Caucasus"
- 29.11.2012President of Russia to visit Armenia early next year
- 28.11.2012Dead Donor Organ Recovery Rules May Be Eased in Russia