Ukraine introduces biometric passports
Baku-APA. Under a new law signed into effect by President Viktor Yanukovych Thursday, Ukraine in the near future will introduce biometric passports in conformity with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) standards, presidential press-service reported, APA reports.
According to the new law, each Ukrainian citizen, regardless of his or her age, is obliged to obtain a passport, which contains a chip with electronic data. An ID number, digital images and digital signature will be the key elements of the new passport.
It is expected that the new passport will make it easier for Ukrainians to receive visas from European Union member states.
The previous version of the Ukrainian passports will remain valid until their official expiry dates.
Ukrainian parliament passed the law on November 20.
Related news releases
- 30.09.2016Russia to never contact, negotiate with ISIL, Nusra Front
- 30.09.2016FSB will punish officials for using WhatsApp
- 29.09.2016Moscow regards Washington’s statements as a call to action
- 29.09.2016Russian citizens to be allowed to enter Turkey with national IDs
- 29.09.2016Russian FM spokesperson comments on US counterpart’s statement on ‘possible attacks’ in Russia
- 28.09.2016Putin due in Turkey on Oct 11 - UPDATED
- 28.09.2016“CIS countries facing new elements of threat”
- 27.09.2016Moscow makes public full text of Russia-US deal on Syria
- 25.09.2016'US apologized to Assad' for killing troops: Russian FM
- 23.09.2016Kyrgyzstan's president arrives in Moscow for treatment
- 23.09.2016Russian FM: "We will continue our work to guarantee the ceasefire in Syria"
- 23.09.2016Moscow says Russia will not bargain with EU over sanctions at UN General Assembly
- 22.09.2016US, Russia stand ready to provide Lethal aid to Libyan Security Forces
- 21.09.2016Armenian soldier faints during parade in Yerevan - VIDEO
- 21.09.2016Russian FM: "Russia, Arab Gulf States may jointly improve situation in Middle East"
- 20.09.2016Russian MoD Releases Footage of Attacked UN Aid Convoy in Syria's Aleppo - VIDEO
- 20.09.2016Son of Armenia’s Gyumri mayor candidate found dead
- 19.09.2016Kyrgyz president cuts short visit to New York for health reasons
- 19.09.2016Russia may create Ministry for State Security
- 19.09.2016Armenian author expresses regret over lack of schools in country
- 19.09.2016Armenia experiencing Karabakhization process, says expert
- 19.09.2016Russian Duma election results may be canceled in three ballot stations
- 18.09.2016Medvedev Announces United Russia Party’s Victory in 2016 Parliamentary Elections
- 18.09.2016Washington does not fulfill its commitments on Syria — Russian Foreign Ministry
- 18.09.2016Russian Foreign Ministry: White House 'Defending the Islamic State' Terrorists
- 17.09.2016Armenia defense minister to turn down offer to become CSTO chief
- 17.09.2016Russia suggests holding next CIS summit in Moscow
- 16.09.2016Russia to chair CIS in 2017
- 16.09.2016Lavrov: Ankara beginning to abandon ultimatums on Assad’s fate
- 16.09.2016Bishkek hosts meeting of CIS Council of Foreign Ministers
- 16.09.2016Acting Uzbek president nominated for December 4 poll
- 15.09.2016Armenian prisoner escapes on way to court
- 15.09.2016A large number of cartridges stolen from Armenia military warehouse
- 14.09.2016Russian Finance Ministry proposes to reduce funding of public media
- 14.09.2016New Turkmen Constitution adopted, presidential term extended to 7 years
- 14.09.2016Russian hackers leak Simone Biles and Serena Williams files
- 13.09.2016Armenia's new prime minister appointed
- 13.09.2016Estonian President Appoints Jurgen Ligi as New Foreign Minister
- 13.09.2016Ukraine says prepared to hold 'good faith' talks with Russia on $3 billion debt
- 12.09.2016Armenian defense minister likely to become new CSTO chief – report
- 30.11.2012EU's Barroso starts first visit in Moldova
- 30.11.2012UN Vote Must Lead to Constructive Mideast Dialogue – Russia
- 30.11.2012Kamchatka Volcano Eruption Destroys Science Camps
- 29.11.2012Member of Russian Federal Council: "Armenia is the main bulwark of Russia in the South Caucasus"
- 29.11.2012President of Russia to visit Armenia early next year
- 28.11.2012Dead Donor Organ Recovery Rules May Be Eased in Russia