Ukraine introduces biometric passports
Baku-APA. Under a new law signed into effect by President Viktor Yanukovych Thursday, Ukraine in the near future will introduce biometric passports in conformity with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) standards, presidential press-service reported, APA reports.
According to the new law, each Ukrainian citizen, regardless of his or her age, is obliged to obtain a passport, which contains a chip with electronic data. An ID number, digital images and digital signature will be the key elements of the new passport.
It is expected that the new passport will make it easier for Ukrainians to receive visas from European Union member states.
The previous version of the Ukrainian passports will remain valid until their official expiry dates.
Ukrainian parliament passed the law on November 20.
Related news releases
- 29.08.2016Putin not to watch friendly football match in Turkey
- 29.08.2016Uzbek leader in stable condition after brain hemorrhage, says daughter
- 28.08.2016Anti-terror operation launched in Dagestan district in Russia’s North Caucasus
- 27.08.2016Iran, Russia sign 1B dollar contract to build offshore drilling rigs
- 27.08.2016Russian detained in Armenia on US request
- 27.08.2016Russia lifts restrictions on charter flights to Turkey
- 27.08.2016Casualties from Moscow fire are all Kyrgyz migrants
- 27.08.201617 dead in huge fire at Moscow warehouse - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Bankrupt Armenian businessman charged with taking hostages in Moscow bank to face 15 years in jail
- 26.08.2016Meeting of chiefs of Russian, Turkish General Staff delayed
- 26.08.2016Armenia still a Russian colony: The Huffington Post
- 25.08.2016Russian, Turkish General Staff chiefs to meet in Ankara
- 24.08.2016Man threatening to blow up building in Moscow surrenders to police
- 24.08.2016Over 2,500 Ukrainian servicemen killed in past 2.5 years - Poroshenko
- 23.08.2016Valery Permyakov sentenced to life in jail for murder of Armenian family
- 22.08.2016Russia: future use of Iranian air base depends on circumstances in Syria
- 22.08.2016Ukrainian prosecutor's office to nail on charges against 39 Russia citizens, including Russian defense minister
- 22.08.2016Russia's use of Iranian air base will depend on situation in Syria
- 22.08.2016Russia Investigative Committee: 350 children committed suicide this year
- 22.08.2016Saakashvili: Results of Ukraine at Rio Olympics 'disastrous'
- 19.08.2016Putin: Russia not going to cut off relations with Ukraine over Kiev’s plot in Crimea
- 19.08.2016Court to issue Permyakov verdict on August 23
- 19.08.2016Putin: Vital to revive economic ties with Ukraine
- 19.08.2016Saakashvili's wife to compete for seat in Georgian parliament
- 17.08.2016Men armed with axes, guns attack police station near Moscow, 2 officers injured - officials
- 16.08.2016Putin: Russia sincerely seeks to restore relations with Turkey
- 16.08.2016Armenia hosting meeting of CSTO member countries’ defence ministers
- 16.08.2016Armenian, Russian defense ministers discuss military cooperation
- 16.08.2016Russia’s base in Armenia is guarantor of stability in Caucasus – Defence Ministry
- 16.08.2016Russia says close to joint military action with U.S. in Aleppo
- 15.08.2016Russia prevented NATO’s cruise missile strikes on Syria – Shoygu
- 15.08.201618 hours of heavy rain throws life out of gear in Moscow
- 15.08.2016Lavrov: Turkey promised to consider establishing international control on border with Syria
- 15.08.2016Lavrov: Normandy dialogue affected by sabotage attempt in Crimea
- 15.08.2016No one is interested in cutting Russia-Ukraine ties – Lavrov
- 15.08.2016Russia holding large-scale military exercises in Caspian Sea
- 14.08.2016Russia to help Iran build 2 nuclear power plants
- 12.08.2016Moscow has no plans of allowing OSCE observers to Crimea
- 12.08.2016Russia deploys advanced S-400 air missile system to Crimea: agencies
- 12.08.2016Moscow could cut diplomatic ties with Ukraine - Medvedev
- 30.11.2012EU's Barroso starts first visit in Moldova
- 30.11.2012UN Vote Must Lead to Constructive Mideast Dialogue – Russia
- 30.11.2012Kamchatka Volcano Eruption Destroys Science Camps
- 29.11.2012Member of Russian Federal Council: "Armenia is the main bulwark of Russia in the South Caucasus"
- 29.11.2012President of Russia to visit Armenia early next year
- 28.11.2012Dead Donor Organ Recovery Rules May Be Eased in Russia