Two Suspected Militants Killed in N.Caucasus
Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
Related news releases
- 30.09.2016In Georgia, pope issues veiled criticism of Russia leftright 12/12leftright
- 30.09.2016Russia to never contact, negotiate with ISIL, Nusra Front
- 30.09.2016FSB will punish officials for using WhatsApp
- 29.09.2016Moscow regards Washington’s statements as a call to action
- 29.09.2016Russian citizens to be allowed to enter Turkey with national IDs
- 29.09.2016Russian FM spokesperson comments on US counterpart’s statement on ‘possible attacks’ in Russia
- 28.09.2016Putin due in Turkey on Oct 11 - UPDATED
- 28.09.2016“CIS countries facing new elements of threat”
- 27.09.2016Moscow makes public full text of Russia-US deal on Syria
- 25.09.2016'US apologized to Assad' for killing troops: Russian FM
- 23.09.2016Kyrgyzstan's president arrives in Moscow for treatment
- 23.09.2016Russian FM: "We will continue our work to guarantee the ceasefire in Syria"
- 23.09.2016Moscow says Russia will not bargain with EU over sanctions at UN General Assembly
- 22.09.2016US, Russia stand ready to provide Lethal aid to Libyan Security Forces
- 21.09.2016Armenian soldier faints during parade in Yerevan - VIDEO
- 21.09.2016Russian FM: "Russia, Arab Gulf States may jointly improve situation in Middle East"
- 20.09.2016Russian MoD Releases Footage of Attacked UN Aid Convoy in Syria's Aleppo - VIDEO
- 20.09.2016Son of Armenia’s Gyumri mayor candidate found dead
- 19.09.2016Kyrgyz president cuts short visit to New York for health reasons
- 19.09.2016Russia may create Ministry for State Security
- 19.09.2016Armenian author expresses regret over lack of schools in country
- 19.09.2016Armenia experiencing Karabakhization process, says expert
- 19.09.2016Russian Duma election results may be canceled in three ballot stations
- 18.09.2016Medvedev Announces United Russia Party’s Victory in 2016 Parliamentary Elections
- 18.09.2016Washington does not fulfill its commitments on Syria — Russian Foreign Ministry
- 18.09.2016Russian Foreign Ministry: White House 'Defending the Islamic State' Terrorists
- 17.09.2016Armenia defense minister to turn down offer to become CSTO chief
- 17.09.2016Russia suggests holding next CIS summit in Moscow
- 16.09.2016Russia to chair CIS in 2017
- 16.09.2016Lavrov: Ankara beginning to abandon ultimatums on Assad’s fate
- 16.09.2016Bishkek hosts meeting of CIS Council of Foreign Ministers
- 16.09.2016Acting Uzbek president nominated for December 4 poll
- 15.09.2016Armenian prisoner escapes on way to court
- 15.09.2016A large number of cartridges stolen from Armenia military warehouse
- 14.09.2016Russian Finance Ministry proposes to reduce funding of public media
- 14.09.2016New Turkmen Constitution adopted, presidential term extended to 7 years
- 14.09.2016Russian hackers leak Simone Biles and Serena Williams files
- 13.09.2016Armenia's new prime minister appointed
- 13.09.2016Estonian President Appoints Jurgen Ligi as New Foreign Minister
- 13.09.2016Ukraine says prepared to hold 'good faith' talks with Russia on $3 billion debt
- 17.01.2013US Aviation Authority Grounds Boeing 787
- 18.01.2013Ukrainian court puts off Tymoshenko tax evasion trial again
- 19.01.2013Ukraine Starts Paying up $390 Mln. Debt to Russia
- 17.01.2013Russia moves to secure bail for arrested ship crew in Nigeria
- 16.01.2013Putin Opens New Moscow HQ of Russian Geographical Society
- 15.01.2013Russia Launches Three Military Satellites