Two Suspected Militants Killed in N.Caucasus
Baku-APA. Two people, killed in a special operation in Russia’s North Caucasus on Wednesday, were militants who prepared a series of attacks in the area, the National Anti-Terrorism Committee (NAK) said, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“According to our data, members of the eliminated armed group were involved in attacks on law-enforcers and extortion of money from the republic’s businessmen. They also plotted attacks on law-enforcers and officials in January and February,” the NAK statement reads. “Therefore, a series of militant attacks on the republic’s territory was prevented by prompt actions of the FSB and the Interior Ministry.”
A special anti-terrorism operation was declared in the city of Tyrnyauz in Kabardino-Balkaria after a group of three suspected militants was blocked in a five-storey building. A two-year-old girl and a woman, believed to be an accomplice of the gunmen, were in the apartment where the gunmen took refuge.
In the course of negotiations, the child was allowed to leave the apartment, but the woman refused to leave. The apartment was stormed when the gunmen fired shots at law-enforcers. Two suspected militants, aged 20 and 22, and the 25-year-old woman, were killed in the shootout.
Law-enforcers also detained three persons believed to be accomplices of the gunmen.
Two assault rifles, a grenade, a pistol and ammunition were found in the apartment. The militants have also installed five homemade bombs in the dwelling, three of them detonated when law-enforcers burst into. The statement did not mention any injuries or casualties among the law-enforcers.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2016Armed group released 2 hostages in Yerevan
- 23.07.2016Lavrov: Rebuilding coop. with Turkey depends on Syria
- 23.07.2016Russian serviceman killed by self-detonating bomb in Syria
- 22.07.2016Kerry, Russian foreign minister to discuss Syria in coming days
- 22.07.2016Russian FM talks on US pre-conditions of co-op on Syria
- 21.07.2016Police disperse protesters in Yerevan - UPDATED
- 20.07.2016Putin, Erdogan to meet in early August - Kremlin
- 20.07.2016Car explosion kills prominent journalist Pavel Sheremet
- 20.07.2016Lefortovo court in a closed regime arrested the Deputy head of the own security service of the TFR
- 19.07.2016Situation tense near Yerevan police headquarters, 4 policemen injured - UPDATED - 1
- 18.07.2016Gunmen kill two policemen in Almaty
- 17.07.2016Shopping mall in Moscow evacuated amid bomb threat
- 15.07.2016Kerry’s delegation takes time-out in talks with Lavrov — Foreign Ministry
- 15.07.2016Lavrov, Kerry hold talks in Moscow
- 15.07.2016Central Asia, Caucasus Republics at risk of Syria-style crises – Shoigu
- 14.07.2016Russia offers to fly warplanes more safely over Baltics
- 13.07.2016Fatal traffic accident kills 7, injures 26 people in Dagestan
- 12.07.2016Belarus inflation rises to 7.4 pct in first half of 2016
- 11.07.2016Demographic situation in Armenia ‘critical’ – expert
- 11.07.2016Iran endorses visa-free regime with Armenia
- 10.07.2016Gorbachev: 'The next war will be the last'
- 08.07.2016NATO’s Russia concerns are ‘absurd’: Kremlin
- 07.07.2016Armored SUV owned by Saakashvili stolen in Kiev
- 07.07.2016Belarus wants normalization of relations with U.S.
- 04.07.2016EU special representative for South Caucasus to arrive in Armenia on July 5
- 02.07.2016Three Azerbaijani citizens killed, two others wounded in a traffic accident in Russia
- 01.07.2016Family of deceased Russian pilot not to accept compensation from Turkey
- 01.07.2016Russian, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Sochi - UPDATED
- 01.07.2016Lavrov hopes Russia-Turkey contacts to set right tone for normalization
- 01.07.2016Constructive dialogue within BSEC can contribute to fight against terrorism – secretary general
- 01.07.2016Russian military ends preparation for large-scale exercises in Armenia
- 01.07.2016Heavy rainfall cause flood killing 1, injuring 5 in Russia’s Rostov-on-Don
- 30.06.2016Russian president signs a decree on abolishing restrictions in respect with Turkey
- 30.06.2016Putin: Turkey apologizes to Russia
- 30.06.2016Russia to lift sanctions against Turkey ‘gradually’
- 30.06.2016Armenian parliament ratifies treaty on joint air defense system with Russia
- 30.06.201681% Russians support Putin
- 30.06.2016Six radical Islamists detained in Kazakhstan, one blows himself up
- 29.06.2016Putin extends counter sanctions
- 29.06.2016Russian man jailed for life for killing eight family members
- 17.01.2013US Aviation Authority Grounds Boeing 787
- 18.01.2013Ukrainian court puts off Tymoshenko tax evasion trial again
- 19.01.2013Ukraine Starts Paying up $390 Mln. Debt to Russia
- 17.01.2013Russia moves to secure bail for arrested ship crew in Nigeria
- 16.01.2013Putin Opens New Moscow HQ of Russian Geographical Society
- 15.01.2013Russia Launches Three Military Satellites