Suspect in St Petersburg blast has psychiatric record - source
A suspect in the blast at a store in St. Petersburg has allegedly had a psychiatric record, a source with law enforcement agencies told TASS on Saturday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"According to preliminary information, the suspect has been on file with a psychiatric clinic and led an anti-social life," he said adding the suspect lived in the city’s Krasnoselsky district.
Earlier in the day, Russia’s FSB Federal Security Service said that the suspect in the blast at the Perekrestok supermarket in St. Petersburg had been detained and handed over to the Russian Investigative Committee.
Spokeswoman for the Investigative Committee Svetlana Petrenko said that investigators had begun questioning the suspect. The investigation will petition the court for his arrest, according to her.
On December 27, a homemade explosive device packed with lethal components was detonated near self-lockers of the Perekrestok supermarket on the first floor of the Gigant-Hall entertainment center in St. Petersburg’s Kondratyevsky Avenue. The bomb produced a blast equivalent to 200g of TNT. Eighteen people are reported to be injured in the blast. The Investigative Committee defined the explosion as an attempted murder against two and more persons.
Russia’s President Vladimir Putin described the blast as a terrorist act.
Related news releases
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 20.01.2018Russian, US army chiefs discuss Syria by phone
- 19.01.2018U.S. funding hold will hurt U.N. effort to help Palestinian refugees: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.2018Yelk bloc holds protest action against price hike in Armenia
- 19.01.2018Police raid Makhachkala mayor’s house and office
- 19.01.2018Russia not going to join Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons — Lavrov
- 18.01.2018Ukrainian parliament adopts law on Donbas reintegration
- 18.01.2018Bus fire in Kazakhstan: Short circuit a preliminary cause of fire
- 18.01.2018Putin says some CIS countries could become Eurasian Economic Union observers
- 18.01.2018Turkish chief of staff, intelligence chief in Russia for Syria talks
- 17.01.2018Putin is in good shape, Kremlin says
- 17.01.2018Businessman, son killed in Russia’s Orenburg
- 16.01.2018Armenia army general staff deputy chief’s son dies in car crash
- 16.01.2018Yerevan minibus drivers go on strike
- 16.01.2018Russia will not support U.S. bid to change Iran nuclear deal: Lavrov
- 15.01.2018Date set for presidential election in Armenia
- 13.01.201846 hospitalized in Russia after contracting salmonella
- 12.01.2018Russian military eliminates militants who shelled Hmeymim airbase on Dec. 31
- 11.01.2018Putin says Russia ready to return to Ukraine dozens of naval ships, warplanes
- 11.01.2018General Staff reveals details of drones that attacked Russian bases in Syria
- 09.01.2018Passenger bus overturns in Russia’s Stavropol region injuring four
- 08.01.2018Details emerge of Chechen rebel commander Khattab’s death
- 28.12.2017Moscow: Erdogan's claims that Assad is a 'terrorist' have no legal basis
- 28.12.2017Mass carbon monoxide poisoning reported among schoolchildren in Kyrgyzstan
- 28.12.2017Putin announces number of military servicemen involved in Syria op
- 28.12.2017Ukraine and pro-Russian rebels swap prisoners before New Year
- 27.12.2017Kiev, pro-Russian separatists exchange hostages
- 27.12.2017Blast injures ten in St Petersburg shop, 50 evacuated
- 27.12.2017Russia’s election commission accepts Putin’s documents for nomination
- 27.12.2017Gunman kills one in Moscow factory building, takes several hostages
- 27.12.2017Zenit-2SB rocket carrying Angolan satellite blasts off from Baikonur — Roscosmos
- 26.12.2017Belarusian leader hails Russia’s role in anti-terrorist efforts in Syria
- 26.12.2017President of Azerbaijan: "Russia is a stabilization factor on a global scale"
- 26.12.2017Informal meeting of CIS leaders starts - UPDATED
- 25.12.2017Russian officials bar Navalny from running for president
- 25.12.2017Five killed in Moscow as bus drives into pedestrian underpass
- 31.12.20172 injured as unknown man opened fire near Red Square in Moscow
- 03.01.2018Russian military helicopter crashes in Syria, killing two
- 04.01.2018Hrymchak claims gas pipeline from Ukraine to Europe planned to be blown up in 2014-2015
- 30.12.2017St Petersburg supermarket blast suspect detained - FSB
- 30.12.2017Russia, Uzbekistan sign nuclear energy deal
- 29.12.2017Three injured after bus plows into public transport stop in Moscow - UPDATED