Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
The number of people who died after drinking a bath lotion containing methanol has risen to 74 in Russia's Siberian city of Irkutsk, the regional health ministry’s press service told on Friday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"We have information about 74 deaths from poisoning in the period since December 17, the total number of victims is 122. A total of 31 residents of Irkutsk remain in hospitals," the press service said. Previous reports put the death toll at 72.
The first methanol poisoning was registered in Bratsk, the region’s second largest city, the ministry said Friday.
"One person was hospitalized in Bratsk with suspected methanol poisoning," the ministry said. The victim’s condition is unknown.
A criminal case has been opened into the sale of goods failing to meet safety requirements and resulting in the death of two or more people. A total of 13 people have been detained as part of the ongoing investigation.
Two of the suspects were placed under house arrest, eight were remanded in custody. One person was released. The court will decide on pretrial restriction measures for the remaining two suspects on Saturday.
A ban on sales of all nonfood alcohol-containing products has been imposed in Irkutsk and in the region. The ban will stay in place as long as checks continue at local stores as to whether they have on sale the lethal bath lotion called Boyaryshnik and similar products.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 02.05.2018Protestors block many streets, including road to international airport in Yerevan
- 02.05.2018Pashinyan will once again be nominated to become Armenian prime minister
- 01.05.2018Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinyan: Protesters Will Block Streets, Airport, Everything
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 22.12.2016Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow