Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
The number of people who died after drinking a bath lotion containing methanol has risen to 74 in Russia's Siberian city of Irkutsk, the regional health ministry’s press service told on Friday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"We have information about 74 deaths from poisoning in the period since December 17, the total number of victims is 122. A total of 31 residents of Irkutsk remain in hospitals," the press service said. Previous reports put the death toll at 72.
The first methanol poisoning was registered in Bratsk, the region’s second largest city, the ministry said Friday.
"One person was hospitalized in Bratsk with suspected methanol poisoning," the ministry said. The victim’s condition is unknown.
A criminal case has been opened into the sale of goods failing to meet safety requirements and resulting in the death of two or more people. A total of 13 people have been detained as part of the ongoing investigation.
Two of the suspects were placed under house arrest, eight were remanded in custody. One person was released. The court will decide on pretrial restriction measures for the remaining two suspects on Saturday.
A ban on sales of all nonfood alcohol-containing products has been imposed in Irkutsk and in the region. The ban will stay in place as long as checks continue at local stores as to whether they have on sale the lethal bath lotion called Boyaryshnik and similar products.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Russia's Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson discuss Syrian conflict
- 24.06.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Conflict around Qatar should be settled by diplomatic means
- 23.06.2017Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala
- 16.06.2017Putin: US Always Interfered in Russian Elections, Especially in 2012
- 15.06.2017Putin says Russia ready for constructive dialogue with USA
- 15.06.2017Putin: Russia will analyze situation in Donbass to take right decision
- 15.06.2017Putin says ready to cooperate with opposition
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 14.06.2017Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police
- 10.06.2017Two killed in shooting in Moscow region
- 09.06.2017Granddaughter of Cold War-era Soviet leader dies after being hit by train near Moscow
- 09.06.2017US policies unchanged now matter who is in power — Putin
- 08.06.2017Blast reported on U.S. embassy compound in Kyiv
- 08.06.2017Lavrov says Russia will not unilaterally abolish visas for EU countries
- 07.06.2017Russian, Iranian foreign ministers urge Qatar and Arab states to start dialogue
- 07.06.2017Kremlin: Putin, Trump may not make statement to press after possible meeting
- 06.06.2017Lavrov: Russia not against Balkan economic integration in Europe
- 06.06.2017Russian education minister proposes CIS countries readopt Cyrillic alphabet
- 06.06.2017Russia cuts its contribution to PACE by almost 11 mln euros
- 06.06.2017Moscow Aims to revise cooperation programs with Montenegro as country joins NATO
- 03.06.2017Putin praises Trump, says U.S. spies may have faked hacking evidence
- 02.06.2017Investigation launched into death of Armenian soldier
- 02.06.2017Putin says global economy faces systemic challenges, no time for quarrels
- 01.06.2017Secretary general emphasizes need to reform United Nations
- 31.05.2017Russia expels 5 Moldovan diplomats
- 31.05.2017Russia says relations with Azerbaijan are valuable
- 31.05.2017Putin believes NATO expansion policy is short-sighted
- 31.05.2017Putin believes it is too early to talk about candidates for 2018 presidential elections
- 30.05.2017CIS Heads of State Council to meet in Sochi
- 30.05.2017Soldier dies as Russian transport plane crash-lands after training flight
- 30.05.2017Over 30,000 people in three Russian regions remain without electricity after storm
- 29.05.2017Storm in Moscow storm kills six people in Moscow
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 22.12.2016Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow