Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
The number of people who died after drinking a bath lotion containing methanol has risen to 74 in Russia's Siberian city of Irkutsk, the regional health ministry’s press service told on Friday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"We have information about 74 deaths from poisoning in the period since December 17, the total number of victims is 122. A total of 31 residents of Irkutsk remain in hospitals," the press service said. Previous reports put the death toll at 72.
The first methanol poisoning was registered in Bratsk, the region’s second largest city, the ministry said Friday.
"One person was hospitalized in Bratsk with suspected methanol poisoning," the ministry said. The victim’s condition is unknown.
A criminal case has been opened into the sale of goods failing to meet safety requirements and resulting in the death of two or more people. A total of 13 people have been detained as part of the ongoing investigation.
Two of the suspects were placed under house arrest, eight were remanded in custody. One person was released. The court will decide on pretrial restriction measures for the remaining two suspects on Saturday.
A ban on sales of all nonfood alcohol-containing products has been imposed in Irkutsk and in the region. The ban will stay in place as long as checks continue at local stores as to whether they have on sale the lethal bath lotion called Boyaryshnik and similar products.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Austria’s new government set to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 16.12.2017Gunman killed in armed clash in Russia’s Kabardino-Balkaria Region
- 15.12.2017Russian ex-minister Ulyukayev gets 8 years in prison for extorting $2 mln bribe
- 15.12.2017Russian presidential election set for March 18
- 15.12.2017Russia to double ballistic missile tests in 2018
- 15.12.2017Putin, Trump discuss Russia-US relations, North Korea in phone call
- 15.12.2017Russia unlikely to apply for participation in PACE’s work in 2018 — Russian MP
- 15.12.2017Moscow denies Russian jets intercepted by US F-22s in Syria
- 14.12.2017Russia, U.S. could cooperate on Afghanistan – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin on Saakashvili's actions: This is 'a spit in the face of Ukrainian, Georgian people'
- 14.12.2017Trump faces restrictions in implementing intention to improve ties with Russia – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin says Washington has in fact quit INF treaty
- 13.12.2017Erdogan's position on Jerusalem does not coincide with Russia's - Peskov
- 12.12.2017Price of AI-92 gasoline reduced in Kazakhstan
- 12.12.2017Soldier wounded in landmine explosion at Armenian border
- 12.12.2017Russian military chief criticizes U.S., Japan and South Korea drills
- 11.12.2017Kyiv court turns down prosecutor's motion to place Saakashvili under house arrest - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Ex-President of Georgia goes on hunger strike in Ukrainian Jail
- 09.12.2017Mikheil Saakashvili detained in Kyiv
- 08.12.2017Russian FM: Trump’s Jerusalem decision contradicts all agreements
- 06.12.2017Russia claims Daesh completely destroyed in Syria
- 06.12.2017Putin says to seek new presidential term in 2018
- 06.12.2017Russian lower house slaps ban on US ‘foreign agent’ mass media from visiting State Duma
- 05.12.201741% of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried
- 05.12.2017Russia's Investigative Committee appeals to General Prosecutor's Office for putting Telman Ismailov on Interpol’s wanted list
- 02.12.2017Sergey Lavrov: "We have no doubts and suspicions towards Azerbaijan"
- 02.12.2017Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirms Lavrov, Tillerson plan to meet in Vienna
- 01.12.2017Russia strengthened air defense in the North Caucasus
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 25.11.2017Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 22.12.2016Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow