Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
The number of people who died after drinking a bath lotion containing methanol has risen to 74 in Russia's Siberian city of Irkutsk, the regional health ministry’s press service told on Friday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"We have information about 74 deaths from poisoning in the period since December 17, the total number of victims is 122. A total of 31 residents of Irkutsk remain in hospitals," the press service said. Previous reports put the death toll at 72.
The first methanol poisoning was registered in Bratsk, the region’s second largest city, the ministry said Friday.
"One person was hospitalized in Bratsk with suspected methanol poisoning," the ministry said. The victim’s condition is unknown.
A criminal case has been opened into the sale of goods failing to meet safety requirements and resulting in the death of two or more people. A total of 13 people have been detained as part of the ongoing investigation.
Two of the suspects were placed under house arrest, eight were remanded in custody. One person was released. The court will decide on pretrial restriction measures for the remaining two suspects on Saturday.
A ban on sales of all nonfood alcohol-containing products has been imposed in Irkutsk and in the region. The ban will stay in place as long as checks continue at local stores as to whether they have on sale the lethal bath lotion called Boyaryshnik and similar products.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017Russian strategic missile carriers to take part in military drills in Tajikistan
- 28.03.2017Putin, Rouhani make joint statement for press
- 28.03.2017Ukraine Prime Minister accepts invitation to visit Georgia in November
- 27.03.2017Russian opposition activist gets 15 days in jail
- 27.03.2017Lavrov slams West’s reaction to protests across Russia as usual double-standards
- 27.03.2017Russian Security Service busts hardcore arms smugglers
- 26.03.2017New US sanctions mean continuation of anti-Russian course – Russian Lawmaker
- 24.03.2017Russian FM comments on reports on sending of military convoy to Armenia through Georgia
- 24.03.2017IS assumes responsibility for attack on Russian National Guard base
- 24.03.2017Vladimir Putin meets French far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in Moscow
- 24.03.2017Russian ex-MP Voronenkov’s assassin was named as Pavel Parshov
- 24.03.2017Six Russian militants killed in attempted attack on National Guard in Chechnya
- 24.03.2017Ukrainian Interior Ministry: Voronenkov was killed by Russian intelligence agent
- 23.03.2017Kremlin slams absurd claims about alleged ‘Russian link’ to politician's murder
- 23.03.2017Moscow shocked by Russian ex-lawmaker's 'demonstrative' killing in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Former member of Russia’s State Duma gunned down in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Depot fire in Ukraine's Kharkiv caused by sabotage - military prosecutor - UPDATED
- 23.03.2017Ukraine says sanctions on Russian banks to start from Thursday
- 22.03.2017Former 'defense minister' of so-called NK Republic detained
- 22.03.2017Russia’s Eurovision contestant may be banned from entering Ukraine for 3 years
- 19.03.2017Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan
- 19.03.20172,000 protest against St.Isaac Cathedral’s transfer to Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg
- 18.03.2017No explosives found at Moscow railway station after bomb threat call
- 17.03.2017Russia issues int’l arrest warrant for Baku-born woman over alleged involvement in armed groups
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 16.03.2017Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia
- 15.03.2017Russia's Lavrov slams allegations of Moscow’s new imperial ambition as hoax
- 15.03.2017Russian special services prevented a major terrorist attack planned in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.03.2017Kremlin: No decision on Russian UN ambassador candidacy as of yet
- 13.03.2017Russia’s representative may be banned from Eurovision 2017 in Kiev
- 13.03.2017Military exercises launched in Russia’s south
- 12.03.2017Astana ready to host talks on Syria on March 14-15 - Kazakhstan’s foreign ministry
- 11.03.2017Moscow cinema evacuated over bomb alert
- 10.03.2017Putin: "I'd like to emphasize that we view Turkey as our key partner"
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 22.12.2016Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow