Siberian methanol poisoning death toll rises to 74 - health authority
The number of people who died after drinking a bath lotion containing methanol has risen to 74 in Russia's Siberian city of Irkutsk, the regional health ministry’s press service told on Friday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"We have information about 74 deaths from poisoning in the period since December 17, the total number of victims is 122. A total of 31 residents of Irkutsk remain in hospitals," the press service said. Previous reports put the death toll at 72.
The first methanol poisoning was registered in Bratsk, the region’s second largest city, the ministry said Friday.
"One person was hospitalized in Bratsk with suspected methanol poisoning," the ministry said. The victim’s condition is unknown.
A criminal case has been opened into the sale of goods failing to meet safety requirements and resulting in the death of two or more people. A total of 13 people have been detained as part of the ongoing investigation.
Two of the suspects were placed under house arrest, eight were remanded in custody. One person was released. The court will decide on pretrial restriction measures for the remaining two suspects on Saturday.
A ban on sales of all nonfood alcohol-containing products has been imposed in Irkutsk and in the region. The ban will stay in place as long as checks continue at local stores as to whether they have on sale the lethal bath lotion called Boyaryshnik and similar products.
Related news releases
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 21.04.2017Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert
- 18.04.2017Normandy Four states point out importance of Easter ceasefire in Donbass
- 17.04.2017Suspected organizer of St. Petersburg metro attack detained near Moscow
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 12.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow wants to know Trump administration’s real intentions
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 22.12.2016Putin calls for enhancing capability of nuclear forces
- 22.12.2016Ambassador Karlov laid to rest at Moscow cemetery
- 22.12.2016Joseph Stalin's grandson dies in Moscow