Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
The second Syrian National Dialogue Congress may be held in Sochi next month, a diplomatic source informed TASS on Thursday during the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF-2018), APA reports quoting TASS.
"We are discussing whether such a meeting is possible. There have been mentions of June, we are currently evaluating this offer," the source said.
Earlier, Syrian Ambassador to Russia Riad Haddad informed TASS during SPIEF that "an agreement is in place to hold the second Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi." "We are currently discussing the number of participants," the diplomat said.
On January 30, the Syrian National Dialogue Congress took place in Sochi. Its participants adopted a 12-point statement, in which Syrians offer their view of the country’s future. The document states that Syria must maintain its sovereignty and territorial integrity, and only its citizens must decide the future of the country through elections. The Syrian population also addressed the UN’s Secretary General Antonio Guterres, asking him to provide assistance in organizing the work of the constitutional commission, the mandate of which will be determined during the Geneva process.
According to the organizers, 1511 delegates from all sectors of Syrian society took part in the forum. In terms of ethnicity, the majority of participants were Arabs (94.5%). Kurds, Yezidi, Assyrians, Armenians, Circassian, Chechens, Dagestani, Abkhazians, Turkomans and Druze also were among the invited. Major regional and international external policy actors also took part in the congress.
r the motto of "creating an economy of trust". TASS news agency is the general information partner and the official photohost agency of the event. The news service is also the operator of the forum’s presentation zone, supported by the EY consulting company and the Foreign Investment Advisory Council.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained