Russian security service kills North Caucasus ISIS 'emir'
The FSB said in a statement that "among the neutralized bandits was the head of the Caucasus region's branch of the Islamic State Rustam Aselderov, and 4 of his close associates."
The FSB said that 35-year-old Aselderov was involved in blasts in the southern Russian city of Volgograd which killed 34 in 2013. He was fighting for another Caucasus insurgent group at the time. It also linked him to twin car blasts in Dagestan in 2012 that killed 14 and injured at least 120.
The FSB said he also organised a foiled attack that was to take place on Moscow's Red Square on New Year's Eve 2010 involving two female suicide bombers.
The warlord pledged allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in December 2014, the first major militant to do so in the Caucasus.
ISIS named Aselderov, also known as Sheikh Abu Mohammad al-Qadari, the governor of a new Caucasus province.
ISIS has since claimed responsibility for a number of attacks on police in Dagestan.
Aselderov previously fought with the local Caucasus Emirate insurgent group, taking over as leader of its Dagestan branch in 2012, the FSB said.
In 2015, the United States Department of State imposed sanctions on Aselderov as a "foreign terrorist fighter" after the jihadist group appointed him leader of its North Caucasus franchise.
Russia in October offered a 5 million ruble ($78,000) reward for information on Aselderov's whereabouts.
The FSB said a joint operation with the interior ministry had cornered Aselderov and his fighters in a private house in the city of Makhachkala, where they found "automatic weapons and a large amount of ammunition and explosives."
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Austria’s new government set to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 16.12.2017Gunman killed in armed clash in Russia’s Kabardino-Balkaria Region
- 15.12.2017Russian ex-minister Ulyukayev gets 8 years in prison for extorting $2 mln bribe
- 15.12.2017Russian presidential election set for March 18
- 15.12.2017Russia to double ballistic missile tests in 2018
- 15.12.2017Putin, Trump discuss Russia-US relations, North Korea in phone call
- 15.12.2017Russia unlikely to apply for participation in PACE’s work in 2018 — Russian MP
- 15.12.2017Moscow denies Russian jets intercepted by US F-22s in Syria
- 14.12.2017Russia, U.S. could cooperate on Afghanistan – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin on Saakashvili's actions: This is 'a spit in the face of Ukrainian, Georgian people'
- 14.12.2017Trump faces restrictions in implementing intention to improve ties with Russia – Putin
- 14.12.2017Putin says Washington has in fact quit INF treaty
- 13.12.2017Erdogan's position on Jerusalem does not coincide with Russia's - Peskov
- 12.12.2017Price of AI-92 gasoline reduced in Kazakhstan
- 12.12.2017Soldier wounded in landmine explosion at Armenian border
- 12.12.2017Russian military chief criticizes U.S., Japan and South Korea drills
- 11.12.2017Kyiv court turns down prosecutor's motion to place Saakashvili under house arrest - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Ex-President of Georgia goes on hunger strike in Ukrainian Jail
- 09.12.2017Mikheil Saakashvili detained in Kyiv
- 08.12.2017Russian FM: Trump’s Jerusalem decision contradicts all agreements
- 06.12.2017Russia claims Daesh completely destroyed in Syria
- 06.12.2017Putin says to seek new presidential term in 2018
- 06.12.2017Russian lower house slaps ban on US ‘foreign agent’ mass media from visiting State Duma
- 05.12.201741% of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried
- 05.12.2017Russia's Investigative Committee appeals to General Prosecutor's Office for putting Telman Ismailov on Interpol’s wanted list
- 02.12.2017Sergey Lavrov: "We have no doubts and suspicions towards Azerbaijan"
- 02.12.2017Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirms Lavrov, Tillerson plan to meet in Vienna
- 01.12.2017Russia strengthened air defense in the North Caucasus
- 27.11.2017Iranian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 26.11.2017Russia’s ex-finance minister regrets adoption of foreign agent media law
- 25.11.2017Tiger shot dead in Paris after escaping from circus
- 25.11.2017Fire in Batumi hotel kills eleven - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Ukraine rebel region's security minister says he is new leader
- 23.11.2017Russia to cut task force in Syria — General Staff
- 23.11.20172 killed, 6 injured in shootout in Dagestan, closer to the border with Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Turkey, Russia, Iran vow to back Syria's sovereignty
- 22.11.2017Putin, Erdogan and Rouhani agree on holding Syrian national dialogue congress in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Turkish, Russian, Iranian presidents meet in Sochi
- 22.11.2017Russian baritone Hvorostovsky dies at 55
- 21.11.2017Putin and Assad meet in Sochi
- 05.12.2016Russia’s FSB detains over 1,400 trespassers in joint op with Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan
- 05.12.2016Uzbekistan PM Mirziyoyev wins presidential election
- 05.12.2016Heydar Jemal’s funeral to take place in Almaty
- 02.12.2016At least 8 killed in Libya clashes
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration