Russian security service kills North Caucasus ISIS 'emir'
The FSB said in a statement that "among the neutralized bandits was the head of the Caucasus region's branch of the Islamic State Rustam Aselderov, and 4 of his close associates."
The FSB said that 35-year-old Aselderov was involved in blasts in the southern Russian city of Volgograd which killed 34 in 2013. He was fighting for another Caucasus insurgent group at the time. It also linked him to twin car blasts in Dagestan in 2012 that killed 14 and injured at least 120.
The FSB said he also organised a foiled attack that was to take place on Moscow's Red Square on New Year's Eve 2010 involving two female suicide bombers.
The warlord pledged allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in December 2014, the first major militant to do so in the Caucasus.
ISIS named Aselderov, also known as Sheikh Abu Mohammad al-Qadari, the governor of a new Caucasus province.
ISIS has since claimed responsibility for a number of attacks on police in Dagestan.
Aselderov previously fought with the local Caucasus Emirate insurgent group, taking over as leader of its Dagestan branch in 2012, the FSB said.
In 2015, the United States Department of State imposed sanctions on Aselderov as a "foreign terrorist fighter" after the jihadist group appointed him leader of its North Caucasus franchise.
Russia in October offered a 5 million ruble ($78,000) reward for information on Aselderov's whereabouts.
The FSB said a joint operation with the interior ministry had cornered Aselderov and his fighters in a private house in the city of Makhachkala, where they found "automatic weapons and a large amount of ammunition and explosives."
Related news releases
- 23.06.2017Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala
- 16.06.2017Putin: US Always Interfered in Russian Elections, Especially in 2012
- 15.06.2017Putin says Russia ready for constructive dialogue with USA
- 15.06.2017Putin: Russia will analyze situation in Donbass to take right decision
- 15.06.2017Putin says ready to cooperate with opposition
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 14.06.2017Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
- 13.06.2017Putin: Us provided support to terrorists in Russia's Chechnya
- 13.06.2017Putin calls US anti-Russia election campaign rhetoric ‘big mistake’
- 11.06.2017Man who opened fire from shotgun in township near Moscow eliminated by police
- 10.06.2017Two killed in shooting in Moscow region
- 09.06.2017Granddaughter of Cold War-era Soviet leader dies after being hit by train near Moscow
- 09.06.2017US policies unchanged now matter who is in power — Putin
- 08.06.2017Blast reported on U.S. embassy compound in Kyiv
- 08.06.2017Lavrov says Russia will not unilaterally abolish visas for EU countries
- 07.06.2017Russian, Iranian foreign ministers urge Qatar and Arab states to start dialogue
- 07.06.2017Kremlin: Putin, Trump may not make statement to press after possible meeting
- 06.06.2017Lavrov: Russia not against Balkan economic integration in Europe
- 06.06.2017Russian education minister proposes CIS countries readopt Cyrillic alphabet
- 06.06.2017Russia cuts its contribution to PACE by almost 11 mln euros
- 06.06.2017Moscow Aims to revise cooperation programs with Montenegro as country joins NATO
- 03.06.2017Putin praises Trump, says U.S. spies may have faked hacking evidence
- 02.06.2017Investigation launched into death of Armenian soldier
- 02.06.2017Putin says global economy faces systemic challenges, no time for quarrels
- 01.06.2017Secretary general emphasizes need to reform United Nations
- 31.05.2017Russia expels 5 Moldovan diplomats
- 31.05.2017Russia says relations with Azerbaijan are valuable
- 31.05.2017Putin believes NATO expansion policy is short-sighted
- 31.05.2017Putin believes it is too early to talk about candidates for 2018 presidential elections
- 30.05.2017CIS Heads of State Council to meet in Sochi
- 30.05.2017Soldier dies as Russian transport plane crash-lands after training flight
- 30.05.2017Over 30,000 people in three Russian regions remain without electricity after storm
- 29.05.2017Storm in Moscow storm kills six people in Moscow
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani and Russian presidents expected to meet in June
- 27.05.2017Russian MP: "Estonia expels Russian diplomats in bid to get US support"
- 05.12.2016Russia’s FSB detains over 1,400 trespassers in joint op with Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan
- 05.12.2016Uzbekistan PM Mirziyoyev wins presidential election
- 05.12.2016Heydar Jemal’s funeral to take place in Almaty
- 02.12.2016At least 8 killed in Libya clashes
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration