Russian security service kills North Caucasus ISIS 'emir'
The FSB said in a statement that "among the neutralized bandits was the head of the Caucasus region's branch of the Islamic State Rustam Aselderov, and 4 of his close associates."
The FSB said that 35-year-old Aselderov was involved in blasts in the southern Russian city of Volgograd which killed 34 in 2013. He was fighting for another Caucasus insurgent group at the time. It also linked him to twin car blasts in Dagestan in 2012 that killed 14 and injured at least 120.
The FSB said he also organised a foiled attack that was to take place on Moscow's Red Square on New Year's Eve 2010 involving two female suicide bombers.
The warlord pledged allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in December 2014, the first major militant to do so in the Caucasus.
ISIS named Aselderov, also known as Sheikh Abu Mohammad al-Qadari, the governor of a new Caucasus province.
ISIS has since claimed responsibility for a number of attacks on police in Dagestan.
Aselderov previously fought with the local Caucasus Emirate insurgent group, taking over as leader of its Dagestan branch in 2012, the FSB said.
In 2015, the United States Department of State imposed sanctions on Aselderov as a "foreign terrorist fighter" after the jihadist group appointed him leader of its North Caucasus franchise.
Russia in October offered a 5 million ruble ($78,000) reward for information on Aselderov's whereabouts.
The FSB said a joint operation with the interior ministry had cornered Aselderov and his fighters in a private house in the city of Makhachkala, where they found "automatic weapons and a large amount of ammunition and explosives."
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 21.04.2017Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 20.04.2017Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert
- 18.04.2017Normandy Four states point out importance of Easter ceasefire in Donbass
- 17.04.2017Suspected organizer of St. Petersburg metro attack detained near Moscow
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 05.12.2016Russia’s FSB detains over 1,400 trespassers in joint op with Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan
- 05.12.2016Uzbekistan PM Mirziyoyev wins presidential election
- 05.12.2016Heydar Jemal’s funeral to take place in Almaty
- 02.12.2016At least 8 killed in Libya clashes
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration