Russian security service kills North Caucasus ISIS 'emir'
The FSB said in a statement that "among the neutralized bandits was the head of the Caucasus region's branch of the Islamic State Rustam Aselderov, and 4 of his close associates."
The FSB said that 35-year-old Aselderov was involved in blasts in the southern Russian city of Volgograd which killed 34 in 2013. He was fighting for another Caucasus insurgent group at the time. It also linked him to twin car blasts in Dagestan in 2012 that killed 14 and injured at least 120.
The FSB said he also organised a foiled attack that was to take place on Moscow's Red Square on New Year's Eve 2010 involving two female suicide bombers.
The warlord pledged allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in December 2014, the first major militant to do so in the Caucasus.
ISIS named Aselderov, also known as Sheikh Abu Mohammad al-Qadari, the governor of a new Caucasus province.
ISIS has since claimed responsibility for a number of attacks on police in Dagestan.
Aselderov previously fought with the local Caucasus Emirate insurgent group, taking over as leader of its Dagestan branch in 2012, the FSB said.
In 2015, the United States Department of State imposed sanctions on Aselderov as a "foreign terrorist fighter" after the jihadist group appointed him leader of its North Caucasus franchise.
Russia in October offered a 5 million ruble ($78,000) reward for information on Aselderov's whereabouts.
The FSB said a joint operation with the interior ministry had cornered Aselderov and his fighters in a private house in the city of Makhachkala, where they found "automatic weapons and a large amount of ammunition and explosives."
Related news releases
- 22.03.2017Former 'defense minister' of so-called NK Republic detained
- 22.03.2017Russia’s Eurovision contestant may be banned from entering Ukraine for 3 years
- 19.03.2017Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan
- 19.03.20172,000 protest against St.Isaac Cathedral’s transfer to Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg
- 18.03.2017No explosives found at Moscow railway station after bomb threat call
- 17.03.2017Russia issues int’l arrest warrant for Baku-born woman over alleged involvement in armed groups
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 16.03.2017Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia
- 15.03.2017Russia's Lavrov slams allegations of Moscow’s new imperial ambition as hoax
- 15.03.2017Russian special services prevented a major terrorist attack planned in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.03.2017Kremlin: No decision on Russian UN ambassador candidacy as of yet
- 13.03.2017Russia’s representative may be banned from Eurovision 2017 in Kiev
- 13.03.2017Military exercises launched in Russia’s south
- 12.03.2017Astana ready to host talks on Syria on March 14-15 - Kazakhstan’s foreign ministry
- 11.03.2017Moscow cinema evacuated over bomb alert
- 10.03.2017Putin: "I'd like to emphasize that we view Turkey as our key partner"
- 10.03.2017Turkish Stream to increase Turkey’s transit potential – Putin
- 10.03.2017Putin, Erdogan holding meeting in Moscow
- 09.03.2017Telman Ismailov officially declared bankrupt
- 09.03.2017Russia’s Putin sacks 10 generals
- 09.03.2017Two Armenian businessmen shot dead in Russia
- 09.03.2017Lavrov: No conflict can be resolved without US involvement
- 07.03.2017Avian influence outbreak reported in Russia
- 07.03.2017Putin pardons Russian woman convicted of high treason
- 07.03.2017Armenian president departs for France on official visit
- 06.03.2017Former deputy commander-in-chief of Russia's Internal Troops arrested
- 06.03.2017Russia hopes Caspian littoral countries to reach agreement on status issue
- 03.03.2017Armenian soldiers injured at military position identified - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017Russian general seriously wounded in Syria
- 03.03.2017Ukraine’s tax chief suspected of embezzling near $73 million
- 03.03.2017Ukrainian minister of Azerbaijani background Roman Nasirov detained
- 03.03.2017Russian EU ambassador says no signs of US rethinking anti-Russian sanctions
- 02.03.2017Food poisoning sickens 60 children in Ukraine
- 01.03.2017Armenia conceals ethnic affiliations in censuses
- 05.12.2016Russia’s FSB detains over 1,400 trespassers in joint op with Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan
- 05.12.2016Uzbekistan PM Mirziyoyev wins presidential election
- 05.12.2016Heydar Jemal’s funeral to take place in Almaty
- 02.12.2016At least 8 killed in Libya clashes
- 01.12.2016Putin: Russia ready to take part in resolving int’l problems
- 01.12.2016Russia ready to cooperate with new US administration