Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
Russian Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Sergei Donskoi on Saturday criticized the U.S. decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement as "terrible mistake", APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"It is a terrible mistake!!! President Trump will actually pull the United States -- the largest player -- out of the Paris Agreement," Donskoi wrote on Facebook.
"There is nothing unexpected in terms of history: He repeated the U.S. withdrawal from the Kyoto Protocol, the first international pact on combating climate change," Donskoi said.
The United States on Friday submitted a notice to the United Nations (UN) formally announcing its intent to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change, after President Donald Trump announced the decision in June, citing concerns about the accord's threat to the U.S. economy.
"The decision by the United States to withdraw from the Paris Agreement is a major disappointment for global efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote global security," said UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric in a note sent Friday night to correspondents.
Under article 28 of the Paris Agreement, a party may withdraw at any time after three years from the date on which the agreement has entered into force for that party.
The United States accepted the Paris Agreement on Sept. 3, 2016 and the agreement entered into force for it on Nov. 4, 2016. This means that the United States must stay in the pact until at least 2019.
The Paris Agreement aims to tackle climate change by cutting greenhouse gas emissions and sets a global target of keeping the rise in the average temperature no higher than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
Related news releases
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 12.07.2017Russian defense adviser killed in militant attack in Hama, Syria
- 08.07.2017Putin: US position on Syria became more pragmatic
- 05.07.2017Astana, Washington sign 5-year defense cooperation plan
- 05.07.2017Anatoly Serdyukov to head Rostvertol’s board of directors
- 04.07.2017Chinese president says ties with Putin stronger than with any other leader
- 02.07.201710 people killed, 12 injured in bus, truck crash in Russia's Tatarstan
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable