Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
Russian Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Sergei Donskoi on Saturday criticized the U.S. decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement as "terrible mistake", APA reports quoting Xinhua.
"It is a terrible mistake!!! President Trump will actually pull the United States -- the largest player -- out of the Paris Agreement," Donskoi wrote on Facebook.
"There is nothing unexpected in terms of history: He repeated the U.S. withdrawal from the Kyoto Protocol, the first international pact on combating climate change," Donskoi said.
The United States on Friday submitted a notice to the United Nations (UN) formally announcing its intent to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change, after President Donald Trump announced the decision in June, citing concerns about the accord's threat to the U.S. economy.
"The decision by the United States to withdraw from the Paris Agreement is a major disappointment for global efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote global security," said UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric in a note sent Friday night to correspondents.
Under article 28 of the Paris Agreement, a party may withdraw at any time after three years from the date on which the agreement has entered into force for that party.
The United States accepted the Paris Agreement on Sept. 3, 2016 and the agreement entered into force for it on Nov. 4, 2016. This means that the United States must stay in the pact until at least 2019.
The Paris Agreement aims to tackle climate change by cutting greenhouse gas emissions and sets a global target of keeping the rise in the average temperature no higher than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Russian FM demands release of citizen detained in US
- 18.07.2018Mass flooding leaves Russia's Krasnodar trapped under water
- 16.07.2018Putin calls summit first step towards ‘clearing backlog’ in Russia-US relations
- 14.07.2018Russia says U.S. indictment over election meddling is groundless
- 12.07.2018Russian Foreign Ministry calls NATO 'Useless Military Bloc'
- 11.07.2018Yerevan experiences power outage
- 10.07.2018Kremlin pins American senator’s harsh swipe at Russia on US Deep State ‘pressure’
- 08.07.2018Armenian court issues arrest warrant for ex-president’s brother Levon Sargsyan and his daughter
- 06.07.2018Large fire breaks out in residential house in central Moscow
- 03.07.2018Armenian trucks stuck at Russia-Georgia border – ministry
- 02.07.2018Kremlin says political resolve for establishing Russia-US dialogue will prevail
- 28.06.2018Trump to meet with Putin July 16 in Finland
- 25.06.2018Sargsyan’s brother detained by police
- 25.06.2018Top Russian, Iranian diplomats mull preparations for summit of Caspian states
- 24.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman embarks on official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenian military officer caught red-handed for embezzlement of technical supplies
- 21.06.2018Russia’s cooperation with UN to be in focus of Lavrov’s talks with UN Secretary General
- 21.06.2018Russian interior minister arrives in New York to attend UN Chiefs of Police Summit
- 16.06.2018Taxi rams into people in Moscow, at least 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Putin introduced Armenian PM to the President of Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Anton Vaino appointed head of Kremlin administration
- 12.06.2018Russian foreign minister praises Trump-Kim meeting
- 12.06.2018Ukraine, Russia fail to agree on UN peacekeeping mission
- 07.06.2018Gazprom appeals against assets seizure in Swiss Court
- 07.06.2018Russia-Armenia trade turnover up by 30 percent last year – Lavrov
- 07.06.2018Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.06.2018Russian defense minister: Terror is the main threat to CIS countries
- 06.06.2018Putin expects sanctions on Russia to be removed with time, relations with US to improve
- 05.06.2018Russia not trying to split EU, Putin says before rare visit to Western Europe
- 03.06.2018Counterterrorism operation regime introduced in Dagestan
- 01.06.2018NPP reactor will be closed for repair In Armenia
- 31.05.2018Russia to cut excise duties on diesel fuel, gasoline starting from June 1
- 31.05.2018Moscow "House of Books" allows presentation of American historian's book about the "Armenian Genocide" after APA's news
- 30.05.2018Russia slams Ukraine's staging reporter's murder as `anti-Russian provocation'
- 30.05.2018Russian journalist believed to be dead turns up alive at news conference
- 29.05.2018Putin appoints Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 29.05.2018Lavrov notes US not interested in cooperating with Russia on cybersecurity
- 29.05.2018Armenian serviceman dies in road accident
- 26.05.2018Putin: Turkey has right to choose its military aircraft
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable