Russian military jet Tu-154 carrying some 91 people has disappeared from radars after takeoff in Sochi - UPDATED
Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 carrying some 91 people has disappeared from radars after departing from Russia's southern city of Sochi, a source in the country's Emergency Ministry told, APA reports citing RIA Novosti.
The jet with some 91 people onboard, including 83 passengers and eight crew members lost contact with land while flying over the Black Sea, the source said. Journalists, military personnel, musicians from Alexandrov Ensemble, an official army choir of the Russian armed forces, were onboard.
Initially it was reported that the plane was carrying some 70 people. "According to preliminary data, Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 disappeared from the radar screens after departing from Sochi. About 70 people were onboard," a source said to the agency on Sunday.
The priliminary data shows that the disappeared plane was heading to Syria's Latakia.
The source added that the jet disappeared from radars 20 minutes after departing from Sochi, Krasnodar Krai.
"The jet disappeared from radars about 20 minutes after takeoff: it departed [from Sochi] at 5.20 AM local time and the contact was lost at about 5.40 AM."
All rescue services of Krasnodar Krai and neighboring regions are engaged in the search operation.
Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 carrying some 70 people has disappeared from radars after departing from Russia's southern city of Sochi, a source in the country's Emergency Ministry told, APA reports citing RIA Novosti.
The source reported that the jet belongs to the Russian Ministry of Defense.
"According to preliminary data, Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 disappeared from the radar screens after departing from Sochi. About 70 people were onboard," a source said to the agency.
The priliminary data shows that the plane was heading to Syria's Latakia.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017Ukraine plans to stop railway communication with Russia
- 25.05.2017Over 500 people lost their homes in wildfires in Russia
- 24.05.2017CIS defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 24.05.2017Maria Zakharova: "Mechanism of alerting on cyber attacks practically never used by US"
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 17.05.2017EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 01.05.2017Russian FM Lavrov, US State Secretary Tillerson agree on date of next meeting
- 29.04.2017Russian foreign ministry: US anti-missile systems in Eastern Europe violate INF Treaty
- 29.04.2017Charges filed against rectors of three private universities in Armenia
- 29.04.2017Over 20 feared buried after landslide hits southern Kyrgyzstan
- 28.04.2017Merkel to discuss Ukrainian crisis, Syria with Putin
- 28.04.2017Russian prosecutors confirm bid urging Interpol to put Ukraine’s ex-PM on wanted list
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 26.12.2016Three Moscow railway stations evacuated amid bomb threats: source
- 26.12.2016Russia’s FSB says no signs of terror plot in Tu-154 crash
- 27.12.2016Russian Tu-154 plane’s flight data recorder recovered from water
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference