Russian military jet Tu-154 carrying some 91 people has disappeared from radars after takeoff in Sochi - UPDATED
Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 carrying some 91 people has disappeared from radars after departing from Russia's southern city of Sochi, a source in the country's Emergency Ministry told, APA reports citing RIA Novosti.
The jet with some 91 people onboard, including 83 passengers and eight crew members lost contact with land while flying over the Black Sea, the source said. Journalists, military personnel, musicians from Alexandrov Ensemble, an official army choir of the Russian armed forces, were onboard.
Initially it was reported that the plane was carrying some 70 people. "According to preliminary data, Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 disappeared from the radar screens after departing from Sochi. About 70 people were onboard," a source said to the agency on Sunday.
The priliminary data shows that the disappeared plane was heading to Syria's Latakia.
The source added that the jet disappeared from radars 20 minutes after departing from Sochi, Krasnodar Krai.
"The jet disappeared from radars about 20 minutes after takeoff: it departed [from Sochi] at 5.20 AM local time and the contact was lost at about 5.40 AM."
All rescue services of Krasnodar Krai and neighboring regions are engaged in the search operation.
Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 carrying some 70 people has disappeared from radars after departing from Russia's southern city of Sochi, a source in the country's Emergency Ministry told, APA reports citing RIA Novosti.
The source reported that the jet belongs to the Russian Ministry of Defense.
"According to preliminary data, Russian Defense Ministry's Tu-154 disappeared from the radar screens after departing from Sochi. About 70 people were onboard," a source said to the agency.
The priliminary data shows that the plane was heading to Syria's Latakia.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Russian Armed Forces ordered to increase manpower to 1.9 mln personnel in July
- 29.03.2017Moscow reaffirms support of resumption of peace talks in Yemen
- 28.03.2017Russian strategic missile carriers to take part in military drills in Tajikistan
- 28.03.2017Putin, Rouhani make joint statement for press
- 28.03.2017Ukraine Prime Minister accepts invitation to visit Georgia in November
- 27.03.2017Russian opposition activist gets 15 days in jail
- 27.03.2017Lavrov slams West’s reaction to protests across Russia as usual double-standards
- 27.03.2017Russian Security Service busts hardcore arms smugglers
- 26.03.2017New US sanctions mean continuation of anti-Russian course – Russian Lawmaker
- 24.03.2017Russian FM comments on reports on sending of military convoy to Armenia through Georgia
- 24.03.2017IS assumes responsibility for attack on Russian National Guard base
- 24.03.2017Vladimir Putin meets French far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in Moscow
- 24.03.2017Russian ex-MP Voronenkov’s assassin was named as Pavel Parshov
- 24.03.2017Six Russian militants killed in attempted attack on National Guard in Chechnya
- 24.03.2017Ukrainian Interior Ministry: Voronenkov was killed by Russian intelligence agent
- 23.03.2017Kremlin slams absurd claims about alleged ‘Russian link’ to politician's murder
- 23.03.2017Moscow shocked by Russian ex-lawmaker's 'demonstrative' killing in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Former member of Russia’s State Duma gunned down in Kiev
- 23.03.2017Depot fire in Ukraine's Kharkiv caused by sabotage - military prosecutor - UPDATED
- 23.03.2017Ukraine says sanctions on Russian banks to start from Thursday
- 22.03.2017Former 'defense minister' of so-called NK Republic detained
- 22.03.2017Russia’s Eurovision contestant may be banned from entering Ukraine for 3 years
- 19.03.2017Clashes occur between demonstrators and police in Yerevan
- 19.03.20172,000 protest against St.Isaac Cathedral’s transfer to Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg
- 18.03.2017No explosives found at Moscow railway station after bomb threat call
- 17.03.2017Russia issues int’l arrest warrant for Baku-born woman over alleged involvement in armed groups
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 16.03.2017Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia
- 15.03.2017Russia's Lavrov slams allegations of Moscow’s new imperial ambition as hoax
- 15.03.2017Russian special services prevented a major terrorist attack planned in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.03.2017Kremlin: No decision on Russian UN ambassador candidacy as of yet
- 13.03.2017Russia’s representative may be banned from Eurovision 2017 in Kiev
- 13.03.2017Military exercises launched in Russia’s south
- 12.03.2017Astana ready to host talks on Syria on March 14-15 - Kazakhstan’s foreign ministry
- 26.12.2016Three Moscow railway stations evacuated amid bomb threats: source
- 26.12.2016Russia’s FSB says no signs of terror plot in Tu-154 crash
- 27.12.2016Russian Tu-154 plane’s flight data recorder recovered from water
- 24.12.2016Putin says Assad, Iran, Turkey agree to Syria talks in Kazakh capital
- 23.12.2016“Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of the President on the background of changes” book presented in Moscow
- 23.12.2016Putin holds major annual press conference