Russian Il-18 plane with 39 on board crash-lands
An Il-18 plane has crashed in Russia's Sakha Republic (Yakutia) on Monday, Sputnik International reported.
"As a result of the accident, all passengers and crew members are alive. Sixteen individuals sustained severe injuries. Search-and-rescue helicopters have evacuated 23 people to regional health centers of Tiksi settlement," the Russian Defense Ministry said.
The plane had 39 individuals on board. Sources earlier said four or five people were likely to have survived.
"According to preliminary information, the plane broke into three, he crash was not followed by fire outbreak," a source in the law enforcement said earlier. Among the 39 people on board, 32 were passengers and seven were crew members. The source said a crew error as well as adverse weather conditions could have caused the crash.
The crash site was located and three Mi-8 helicopters of the Russian Emergencies Ministry were sent to it. The plane reportedly belonged to the Russian Aerospace Forces and carried officers.
"The plane made an emergency landing at 4:45, 30 kilometers (18 miles) away from Tiksi. The plane had been conducting a planned flight from the Kansk airbase," the Defense Ministry added.
The ministry sent a special commission to investigate the accident.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Sergey Lavrov meets with Council of Europe Secretary General
- 20.10.2017Russia's Putin says oil price above $50/bbl is fair
- 20.10.2017Putin regrets that disrespect shown for Trump in US
- 19.10.2017Putin: Russia ready to move towards universal nuclear disarmament
- 19.10.2017Russian TV host Ksenia Sobchak declares Kremlin bid for 2018
- 18.10.2017Pedro Agramunt receives honorary doctorate from Russian higher school
- 18.10.2017One of main sponsors of separatist regime in Karabakh dies
- 18.10.2017Moscow police detain Armenian taxi driver accused of poisoning almost 100 people to death
- 18.10.2017Russia testing new Silo-Based ballistic missile
- 17.10.2017Lavrov: Agreement on UNSC reform unrealistic in next couple of years
- 16.10.2017Putin signs decree to implement UNSC sanctions on North Korea
- 16.10.2017Lavrov comments on construction of subsea pipeline in Caspian Sea
- 16.10.2017Armenian citizen shot dead in downtown Moscow
- 14.10.2017Russian FSB, police detain İSİL supporters preparing terrorist attacks
- 14.10.2017Russian President: "Fight against terror should be free from double standards"
- 13.10.2017Lavrov urges to give up on escalating tensions around DPRK
- 11.10.2017Putin: Volume of trade between CIS countries has reached $75 billion
- 11.10.2017Lukashenko criticizes CIS Interparliamentary Assembly for low efficiency
- 11.10.201718 documents inked at CIS summit in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Tajikistan takes over CIS presidency
- 11.10.2017Putin stresses need to increase effectiveness of CIS
- 11.10.2017Turkmen president gives Putin Central Asian pooch as gift
- 10.10.2017Several documents signed at CIS Ministerial Council meeting
- 09.10.2017House fire kills five in Russia
- 06.10.201717 killed, 12 others injured as train collides with bus in central Russia - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017Four Russian nationals abroad suspected of false phone bomb threats in Russia
- 05.10.2017Armenian businessman shot dead in Moscow
- 05.10.2017Russian Investigative Committee refuses to open criminal case against historian who exposed Armenian lies
- 05.10.2017Terror threat for CIS countries remains high: Anti-Terrorism Center
- 04.10.2017Saudi King arrives in Moscow for first ever visit
- 04.10.2017CIS foreign ministers to meet in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Severed human legs found next to supermarket in Moscow
- 04.10.2017Conditions for defeating terrorists, returning to peaceful life in Syria created — Lavrov
- 04.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro Travels to Russia For Energy Talks
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili's issue must be resolved through legal means: Ukrainian FM
- 30.09.2017Mammadbagir Aliyev elected to RAS Presidium
- 29.09.2017Shootout at Russian military base leaves 3 dead, 2 wounded
- 29.09.2017Two pilots die in military aircraft crash in Ukraine
- 27.09.2017Ukraine detains suspects behind massive blaze at ammo depot in Vinnytsia
- 27.09.2017Dagestan leader Ramazan Abdulatipov writes resignation letter
- 19.12.2016Armenian appellate court upholds lower court decision on Gyumri family murder by Russian soldier
- 19.12.2016Russia, Iran, Turkey defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 20.12.2016Russian Foreign Ministry: Russian ambassador's murder aimed to undermine Syrian settlement efforts
- 16.12.2016Russian Defense Ministry: "Operation to liberate eastern Aleppo from terrorists has been completed"
- 15.12.2016ISIL terrorist attacks prevented in Moscow
- 15.12.2016Media: Russian Deputy Prime Minister to visit Baku