Russian Foreign Ministry: Russian ambassador's murder aimed to undermine Syrian settlement efforts
The terrorist attack on Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was geared to undermine collective efforts towards political settlement in Syria and the process of normalization of the Russian-Turkish relations, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement on Monday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"On December 19, Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was killed in a terrorist attack," the ministry said. "We resolutely condemn this inhumane crime which is geared to undermine collective efforts towards soonest political settlement in Syria and the process of normalization of the Russian-Turkish relations which has just started."
The Russian foreign ministry "expresses deepest condolences to the family of outstanding Russian diplomat Andrei Karlov." "The cherished memory about him will stay forever in the hearts of his colleagues and all those who knew him," the ministry said, adding that this tragedy "commits us to invigorate our uncompromising efforts against terrorism in all of its manifestations."
"We expect from the Turkish authorities the closest cooperation with representatives of Russian investigative agencies in conducting a thorough investigation into all the circumstances of the barbarous crime, identifying and punishing its organizers, and taking maximum efficient measures to ensure security of Russian citizens, diplomatic missions and their employees," the ministry said. "On our part, we will do our best in cooperation with Turkey’s law enforcers to have those responsible duly punished."
Russia and Turkey will reinvigorate their efforts against terrorism, the Russian foreign ministry said.
"In the follow-up of the telephone conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on December 19, a telephone conversation between Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, who has arrived in Moscow to take part in a trilateral ministerial meeting in the Russia-Turkey-Iran format, took place on the same day," the ministry said. "As President Erdogan, the Turkish foreign minister expressed deep condolences over the December 19 fatal terrorist attack on Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov."
"The ministers reiterated their commitment to reinvigorate efforts to counter the terrorist threat more efficiently, to exclude any possibility of success of provocations, wherever they might originate from, geared to frustrate the steady development of the Russian-Turkish relations, cooperation between the two countries in countering terrorism in Syria and Iraq," the ministry said.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 02.05.2018Protestors block many streets, including road to international airport in Yerevan
- 02.05.2018Pashinyan will once again be nominated to become Armenian prime minister
- 01.05.2018Armenian Opposition Leader Pashinyan: Protesters Will Block Streets, Airport, Everything
- 01.05.2018Armenian Parliament fails to elect PM - UPDATED
- 01.05.2018Armenia's ruling party not to support Pashinyan's PM candidacy
- 01.05.2018Russia to remain Armenia’s strategic ally, Pashinyan says
- 30.04.2018Armenian opposition leader Pashinyan officially nominated for PM
- 29.04.2018Gagik Tsarukyan to support candidate Nikol Pashinyan
- 28.04.2018Armenia's ruling party withdraws prime minister candidate
- 20.12.2016Lavrov: “Ambassador's murder aimed at disrupting normalization of Russian-Turkish ties”
- 20.12.2016Russian, Turkish FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016FM: Turkey, Russia not to allow ambassador shooting to deteriorate ties
- 19.12.2016Russia, Iran, Turkey defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 19.12.2016Armenian appellate court upholds lower court decision on Gyumri family murder by Russian soldier
- 19.12.2016Russian Il-18 plane with 39 on board crash-lands