Russian Foreign Ministry: Russian ambassador's murder aimed to undermine Syrian settlement efforts
The terrorist attack on Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was geared to undermine collective efforts towards political settlement in Syria and the process of normalization of the Russian-Turkish relations, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement on Monday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"On December 19, Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was killed in a terrorist attack," the ministry said. "We resolutely condemn this inhumane crime which is geared to undermine collective efforts towards soonest political settlement in Syria and the process of normalization of the Russian-Turkish relations which has just started."
The Russian foreign ministry "expresses deepest condolences to the family of outstanding Russian diplomat Andrei Karlov." "The cherished memory about him will stay forever in the hearts of his colleagues and all those who knew him," the ministry said, adding that this tragedy "commits us to invigorate our uncompromising efforts against terrorism in all of its manifestations."
"We expect from the Turkish authorities the closest cooperation with representatives of Russian investigative agencies in conducting a thorough investigation into all the circumstances of the barbarous crime, identifying and punishing its organizers, and taking maximum efficient measures to ensure security of Russian citizens, diplomatic missions and their employees," the ministry said. "On our part, we will do our best in cooperation with Turkey’s law enforcers to have those responsible duly punished."
Russia and Turkey will reinvigorate their efforts against terrorism, the Russian foreign ministry said.
"In the follow-up of the telephone conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on December 19, a telephone conversation between Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, who has arrived in Moscow to take part in a trilateral ministerial meeting in the Russia-Turkey-Iran format, took place on the same day," the ministry said. "As President Erdogan, the Turkish foreign minister expressed deep condolences over the December 19 fatal terrorist attack on Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov."
"The ministers reiterated their commitment to reinvigorate efforts to counter the terrorist threat more efficiently, to exclude any possibility of success of provocations, wherever they might originate from, geared to frustrate the steady development of the Russian-Turkish relations, cooperation between the two countries in countering terrorism in Syria and Iraq," the ministry said.
Related news releases
- 09.08.2017Russian Defense Ministry renovating major facilities for FIFA World Cup
- 08.08.2017Russia's Putin visits breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia: Kremlin
- 06.08.2017Russia’s ex-envoy to US says his talks with Flynn were about Russian-US cooperation
- 05.08.2017Russian minister says U.S. exit from Paris pact "terrible mistake"
- 05.08.2017Russia says reserves right to retaliate over new EU sanctions
- 04.08.2017Russian deputy minister blacklisted in new EU sanctions over Siemens turbines to Crimea
- 03.08.2017Kremlin: Moldova Gov't Declaring Rogozin Persona Non-Grata Unacceptable
- 02.08.2017Russian PM Medvedev on new sanctions: 'US declares full-fledged trade war'
- 02.08.2017Moldovan gov't declares Russian Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin Persona Non-Grata
- 02.08.2017Georgian officials strongly criticize Putin’s forthcoming visit to Abkhazia
- 01.08.2017Moscow court shooting: Three 'Grand Theft Auto' gang members killed in bungled bid to escape trial
- 01.08.2017Four killed in shooting at Moscow court: lawyer
- 01.08.2017Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan continue talks on border settlement - Kyrgyz Government
- 30.07.2017Russia to continue delivering rocket engines to US — deputy premier
- 29.07.2017Moldova demands Russia to withdraw its troops from Transnistria
- 28.07.2017Russia orders out U.S. diplomats in sanctions retaliation
- 28.07.2017Russia suspends US embassy use of diplomatic properties in Moscow
- 28.07.20177 suspected terrorists detained in St. Petersburg
- 28.07.2017Uzbek prosecutors charge ex-leader's daughter of 6 criminal offenses
- 27.07.2017Putin: We'll have to retaliate against 'illegal' U.S. sanctions
- 27.07.2017Russia's response to U.S. sanctions to hinge on final bill text: Putin
- 26.07.2017Ukraine deports Russian journalist
- 26.07.2017Russia calls US source of danger
- 25.07.2017Man planning to fly to Syria to join ISIL via Baku detained in Russia
- 25.07.2017Applicants for higher education decreasing in numbers in Armenia
- 25.07.2017Trump slams AG Sessions' 'weak' position on Clinton emails
- 22.07.2017Lavrov says US continues support to some opposition groups in Syria
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 20.12.2016Lavrov: “Ambassador's murder aimed at disrupting normalization of Russian-Turkish ties”
- 20.12.2016Russian, Turkish FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016FM: Turkey, Russia not to allow ambassador shooting to deteriorate ties
- 19.12.2016Russia, Iran, Turkey defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 19.12.2016Armenian appellate court upholds lower court decision on Gyumri family murder by Russian soldier
- 19.12.2016Russian Il-18 plane with 39 on board crash-lands