Russian Foreign Ministry: Russian ambassador's murder aimed to undermine Syrian settlement efforts
The terrorist attack on Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was geared to undermine collective efforts towards political settlement in Syria and the process of normalization of the Russian-Turkish relations, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement on Monday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"On December 19, Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was killed in a terrorist attack," the ministry said. "We resolutely condemn this inhumane crime which is geared to undermine collective efforts towards soonest political settlement in Syria and the process of normalization of the Russian-Turkish relations which has just started."
The Russian foreign ministry "expresses deepest condolences to the family of outstanding Russian diplomat Andrei Karlov." "The cherished memory about him will stay forever in the hearts of his colleagues and all those who knew him," the ministry said, adding that this tragedy "commits us to invigorate our uncompromising efforts against terrorism in all of its manifestations."
"We expect from the Turkish authorities the closest cooperation with representatives of Russian investigative agencies in conducting a thorough investigation into all the circumstances of the barbarous crime, identifying and punishing its organizers, and taking maximum efficient measures to ensure security of Russian citizens, diplomatic missions and their employees," the ministry said. "On our part, we will do our best in cooperation with Turkey’s law enforcers to have those responsible duly punished."
Russia and Turkey will reinvigorate their efforts against terrorism, the Russian foreign ministry said.
"In the follow-up of the telephone conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on December 19, a telephone conversation between Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, who has arrived in Moscow to take part in a trilateral ministerial meeting in the Russia-Turkey-Iran format, took place on the same day," the ministry said. "As President Erdogan, the Turkish foreign minister expressed deep condolences over the December 19 fatal terrorist attack on Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov."
"The ministers reiterated their commitment to reinvigorate efforts to counter the terrorist threat more efficiently, to exclude any possibility of success of provocations, wherever they might originate from, geared to frustrate the steady development of the Russian-Turkish relations, cooperation between the two countries in countering terrorism in Syria and Iraq," the ministry said.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Putin urges his rivals to maintain dialogue, pool efforts in the country’s interests
- 18.03.2018Voting begins in Russian 2018 presidential election
- 17.03.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey to assist UN to draft constitutional reform in Syria - Lavrov
- 14.03.2018Moscow not connected to ex-spy’s poisoning: Kremlin
- 14.03.2018Moscow welcomes Turkey’s request for prompt S-400 delivery, Lavrov says
- 14.03.2018Turkish, Russian presidents to meet in Ankara on April 3 – FM
- 14.03.2018Syria, S-400 to be in focus at talks of Russian, Turkish foreign ministers
- 10.03.2018Putin on U.S. election interference: ‘I couldn’t care less’
- 07.03.2018Russia’s Mi-8 helicopter crashes in Chechnya
- 05.03.2018Russia has evidence West trying to save Nusra front for regime change - Lavrov
- 05.03.2018Putin’s adviser: Russia ready to disconnect from global Internet
- 03.03.2018Kremlin rejects U.S. charge Russia in breach of arms control treaties
- 02.03.2018Armen Sarkissian elected 4th President of Armenia
- 01.03.2018Putin: ‘No one listened to us then, so listen to us now’ - REPORTAGE
- 01.03.2018Putin announces Russia possesses hypersonic weapons
- 28.02.2018Shooting kills at least two, injures two in Kazan, Russia
- 26.02.2018Car carrying Armenian PM’s bodyguards crashes in Yerevan
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 20.12.2016Lavrov: “Ambassador's murder aimed at disrupting normalization of Russian-Turkish ties”
- 20.12.2016Russian, Turkish FMs holding meeting in Moscow
- 20.12.2016FM: Turkey, Russia not to allow ambassador shooting to deteriorate ties
- 19.12.2016Russia, Iran, Turkey defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 19.12.2016Armenian appellate court upholds lower court decision on Gyumri family murder by Russian soldier
- 19.12.2016Russian Il-18 plane with 39 on board crash-lands