Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
Attempts by the U.S. to pressure Moscow through sanctions are "illusory", Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Such moves "seriously" endanger American- Russian relations that are already experiencing a "difficult" period, Lavrov said during a telephone call with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, according to a statement by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
The telephone call was made two days after the U.S. Treasury expanded sanctions on Russia by designating or identifying a number of individuals and entities related to the conflict in Ukraine.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Wednesday that Russia is working on retaliatory measures against the new U.S. sanctions.
Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov also announced on the same day that Russia canceled an upcoming meeting with State Department Undersecretary for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon.
Lavrov said during his telephone call with Tillerson, Russia was "forced" to postpone the high-level meeting that had been scheduled for June 23 and that Moscow awaits Washington's response to its earlier proposals for normalizing relations
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Pashinyan: We are not going to hold closed-door talks
- 26.04.2018Russian President and Armenia’s Acting PM hold phone call
- 26.04.2018Armenia ARF ministers, provincial governors resign
- 26.04.2018Armenia parliament to discuss election of new PM in early May
- 26.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan resigns as chairman of Armenia’s ruling party
- 25.04.2018Armenian opposition bloc to nominate protest leader Pashinyan as PM
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s Dashnaktsutyun leaves ruling coalition
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s acting sport minister resigns
- 25.04.2018West conceals details of military drills from Russian inspectors — foreign ministry
- 25.04.2018Acing PM issues statement over cancellation of meeting with Nikol Pashinyan
- 25.04.2018Leader of Karabakh separatists called on Pashinyan for dialogue
- 25.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry comments on US missile defense system’s buildup
- 24.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan says ready to be Armenia’s premier
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 24.06.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Conflict around Qatar should be settled by diplomatic means
- 27.06.2017Russia's Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson discuss Syrian conflict
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala