Russian EU ambassador says no signs of US rethinking anti-Russian sanctions
Russia’s EU Ambassador Vladimir Chizhov said on Thursday that Washington was not demonstrating readiness to lift anti-Russian sanctions, APA reports quoting TASS.
"As for the American angle of this problem, Brussels was seriously concerned - what if (Donald) Trump reviews the sanctions policy against Russia when he takes office," the Russian permanent representative to the European Union told Rossiya 24 television.
"That was one of the signals that (EU foreign policy chief) Federica Mogherini brought to Washington several weeks ago. She returned seemingly reassured, this means that she had received some pledges," Chizhov explained. "So far we see no signs that the sanctions policy is reviewed," Chizhov added.
At the same time, some EU countries are "waiting for the occasion" and make no secret of their interest in having the anti-Russian sanctions eased or lifted, the Russian diplomat said.
He also supposed that sanctions could be discussed at talks on Brexit between the UK and the EU that are due to start early in April. "When Brexit becomes a reality, all decisions of the European Union taken before that moment, including the anti-Russian sanctions, will be no longer in force for the UK, that is why London will have to either make its own decisions at that moment, or not to take them, and then sanctions in Russian-British relations will stop being in force," Chizhov added.
Related news releases
- 30.05.2017Soldier dies as Russian transport plane crash-lands after training flight
- 30.05.2017Over 30,000 people in three Russian regions remain without electricity after storm
- 29.05.2017Storm in Moscow storm kills six people in Moscow
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani and Russian presidents expected to meet in June
- 27.05.2017Russian MP: "Estonia expels Russian diplomats in bid to get US support"
- 26.05.2017Moscow court orders arrest of four suspects of plotting terrorist attack
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister takes part in session of Council of CIS Defense Ministers
- 26.05.2017Russia conducts anti-terror exercises in Caspian Sea
- 26.05.2017Moldova's Chisinau Mayor Detained as Part of Corruption Probe
- 26.05.2017Moscow says date of de Mistura's visit to Russia yet to be set
- 25.05.2017Ukraine plans to stop railway communication with Russia
- 25.05.2017Over 500 people lost their homes in wildfires in Russia
- 24.05.2017CIS defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 24.05.2017Maria Zakharova: "Mechanism of alerting on cyber attacks practically never used by US"
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 17.05.2017EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 03.03.2017Ukrainian minister of Azerbaijani background Roman Nasirov detained
- 03.03.2017Ukraine’s tax chief suspected of embezzling near $73 million
- 03.03.2017Russian general seriously wounded in Syria
- 02.03.2017Food poisoning sickens 60 children in Ukraine
- 01.03.2017Armenia conceals ethnic affiliations in censuses
- 01.03.2017Russia calls for direct talks between Syrian opponents