Russian EU ambassador says no signs of US rethinking anti-Russian sanctions
Russia’s EU Ambassador Vladimir Chizhov said on Thursday that Washington was not demonstrating readiness to lift anti-Russian sanctions, APA reports quoting TASS.
"As for the American angle of this problem, Brussels was seriously concerned - what if (Donald) Trump reviews the sanctions policy against Russia when he takes office," the Russian permanent representative to the European Union told Rossiya 24 television.
"That was one of the signals that (EU foreign policy chief) Federica Mogherini brought to Washington several weeks ago. She returned seemingly reassured, this means that she had received some pledges," Chizhov explained. "So far we see no signs that the sanctions policy is reviewed," Chizhov added.
At the same time, some EU countries are "waiting for the occasion" and make no secret of their interest in having the anti-Russian sanctions eased or lifted, the Russian diplomat said.
He also supposed that sanctions could be discussed at talks on Brexit between the UK and the EU that are due to start early in April. "When Brexit becomes a reality, all decisions of the European Union taken before that moment, including the anti-Russian sanctions, will be no longer in force for the UK, that is why London will have to either make its own decisions at that moment, or not to take them, and then sanctions in Russian-British relations will stop being in force," Chizhov added.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Plenary meeting held in Petersburg forum with participation of Russian, French and Japan leaders
- 25.05.2018Armenian president visits Georgia
- 25.05.2018Cancellation of US-North Korea summit is ‘testing humanity’s nerve’ — Russian senator
- 25.05.2018Second Syrian National Dialogue Congress planned to be held in Sochi next month
- 25.05.2018Man taking hostages in Moscow apartment detained
- 24.05.2018Man takes three hostages in Moscow - Interior Ministry
- 24.05.2018Russian Defense Ministry general detained
- 24.05.2018Man commits suicide after killing five in Russia
- 24.05.2018Armenia army chief to be dismissed
- 20.05.2018Pentagon says Moscow 'not doing enough' to fight terrorism within borders
- 20.05.2018All militants who attacked church in Grozny identified, says Chechnya’s head
- 18.05.2018Putin approves new cabinet
- 17.05.2018Putin Met With Assad in Sochi - Kremlin Spokesman
- 17.05.2018Putin: Defense Ministry allocates $24 billion for state defense order 2018
- 16.05.2018Protesters storm mayor’s building in Yerevan
- 16.05.2018Russian embassy warns of attempts to embroil other states in Skripal case
- 15.05.2018Start your engines: Putin driving truck, opens newly-built Crimean Bridge
- 15.05.2018Moscow says U.S. putting serious pressure on Iran nuclear deal participants
- 15.05.2018Moscow does not rule out Iran’s pullout from nuclear deal — diplomat
- 15.05.2018State Duma approves criminal liability for aiding West’s anti-Russia sanctions
- 14.05.2018Books on “Armenian genocide” by American and Turkish historians published in Moscow
- 12.05.2018Armenian president appoints new FM
- 10.05.2018Armenia police chief, director of National Security Service dismissed
- 09.05.2018Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Armenia’s first deputy defense minister resigns
- 08.05.2018Russian Interior Ministry warns Armenian and Azerbaijani diaspora over upcoming Immortal Regiment march
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan elected Armenia's prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin asks State Duma to appoint Medvedev Russia’s prime minister
- 07.05.2018Putin takes office for second six-year term as Russia’s president
- 05.05.2018Russian journalist: "Armenia historically is an encumbrance for Russia"
- 05.05.2018Police seize Navalny at Putin protest
- 04.05.2018Terrorist acts plotted in Russia were coordinated from abroad – FSB
- 03.05.2018One person killed, one wounded in attack on HSBC bank in Armenia
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani woman appointed as Tatarstan’s minister of culture
- 03.05.2018Ukraine suspends participation in CIS coordination councils
- 02.05.2018Armenia’s ruling party to vote for candidate supported by one third of MPs
- 02.05.2018Opposition blocks highways linking Armenia with Georgia, Iran
- 02.05.2018Armenia's parliament to hold fresh vote for PM on May 8
- 02.05.2018Civil resistance in Armenia expands
- 02.05.2018Armenia protest leader: "We will not give up"
- 03.03.2017Ukrainian minister of Azerbaijani background Roman Nasirov detained
- 03.03.2017Ukraine’s tax chief suspected of embezzling near $73 million
- 03.03.2017Russian general seriously wounded in Syria
- 02.03.2017Food poisoning sickens 60 children in Ukraine
- 01.03.2017Armenia conceals ethnic affiliations in censuses
- 01.03.2017Russia calls for direct talks between Syrian opponents