Russia releases footage of wide damage at Syria's Palmyra - VIDEO
The Syrian Army, backed by the Russian Aerospace Forces, is advancing on the ancient city of Palmyra occupied by ISIL. The city is less than 20 kilometers away, the Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday, APA reported citing Sputnik International.
"Syrian government troops, backed by Russian air support, continue to advance in the direction of Palmyra; less than 20 kilometers are left. The Russian Aerospace Forces carried out more than 90 sorties over the last week," the ministry said.
The Syrian Army has destroyed more than 180 militant targets."The Syrian government troops destroyed over 180 militant targets, including over 60 strongholds, 15 depots with ammunition and vehicles, 43 armored vehicles as well as jeeps with heavy machine-guns. Terrorists lost over 200 people," the statement added.
Some 805 square kilometers have been liberated from terrorists in the province of Homs. Since February 7, the Syrian Army has been controlling 22 square kilometers in the vicinity of Palmyra, and has liberated a few inhabited localities, the ministry concluded.
ISIL seized Palmyra, which was the capital of the Palmyrene Empire and one of the richest cities of the Roman Empire, in May 2015. Terrorists destroyed a number of historic sights designated as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Arch of Triumph, the Temple of Baalshamin and the Temple of Bel. Jihadists also looted the national museum and the famous Palmyra’s necropolis.
Less than a year after that the Syrian army supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces managed to liberate Palmyra. Russian specialists demined the historic center as well as residential areas of the city. Russian historians and renovators visited Palmyra in early July 2016 and prepared a report assessing the condition of the damaged sites and costs of the renovation works. However, in December 2016, the city was retaken by jihadists.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2017Lavrov called the condition of the abolition of visas for Georgian citizens
- 18.02.2017Putin signs decree on recognition of documents issued by separatist regimes
- 16.02.2017Discussed issues at the Dunford-Gerasimov meeting become known
- 16.02.2017Lavrov says Tillerson ready to support Syrian peace talks in Astana
- 16.02.2017Georgian police arrest American wanted on terrorism charges in Uzbekistan
- 15.02.2017Kremlin dismisses report of Trump campaign contacts with Russian spies
- 15.02.2017Russian MoD Denies Incidents With Russian Planes Near US Destroyer in Black Sea
- 09.02.2017Turkey and Russia not planning to set up a joint commission to investigate the unintentional Russian airstrike: source
- 09.02.2017Russia doesn’t view PKK as terrorist organization: MFA
- 08.02.2017Separatist leader Givi killed in Donetsk
- 07.02.2017Russian president ratifies gas pipeline via Turkey
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijani observers to monitor presidential election in Turkmenistan
- 06.02.2017Russia voices regret over new US sanctions against Iran
- 03.02.2017No need for Russian air base in Belarus – Lukashenko
- 03.02.2017Belarus takes Russia to court over reduced oil supply
- 03.02.2017Lukashenko accuses Russia of violating interstate agreement
- 02.02.2017Russia’s Putin sacks 16 generals
- 02.02.201726 soldiers injured after military vehicle crashes in Armenia
- 02.02.2017Belarus set to quit EAEU, CSTO: media
- 02.02.2017Ukraine's Poroshenko vows to hold referendum on NATO membership
- 31.01.2017Azerbaijani became the new Deputy Minister of Economic Development of Russia
- 30.01.2017Ukraine says pro-Russian separatists kill 5 troops
- 29.01.2017Putin, Trump agree to keep in touch - Kremlin
- 28.01.2017Russia, Iran agree Astana talks 'efficient platform' for Syrian settlement
- 27.01.2017Armenian cadet dies at military unit medical facility
- 27.01.2017Armenia may halt parliamentary elections scheduled for April 2
- 27.01.2017War on terror may be among Washington’s priorities — Russian diplomat
- 26.01.2017Russian ambassador to India dies in New Delhi
- 26.01.2017Ukraine demands say in any Russia-U.S. talks to end conflict on its territory
- 25.01.2017Russia determines identity of person who threatened Armenia with terror
- 25.01.2017Armenia soldier found dead at military outpost
- 25.01.2017Russian FM: Nearly 50 countries willing to co-op with Eurasian Economic Union
- 24.01.2017Russia Awaits Reaction of Syrian Opposition on Proposed Draft Constitution
- 21.01.2017De Mistura arrives in Astana for Intra-Syrian talks
- 21.01.2017U.S. envoy to Kazakhstan to attend Syria talks as an observer
- 21.01.2017Putin ready to meet with Trump – Peskov
- 19.01.2017Russia's Lavrov says U.S. invited to Astana talks on Syria
- 19.01.2017Diplomat: Trump’s inauguration raises hope for end of crisis in Russia-US relations
- 19.01.2017Russian citizens to visit Armenia with internal passports
- 18.01.2017Russian top diplomat believes OSCE may play important role in settling Ukrainian crisis
- 13.02.2017Embassy: "All the Azerbaijani detainees in Derbent were released"
- 14.02.2017Syria peace talks in Astana postponed until February 16
- 14.02.2017Moscow expects Syria talks in Astana to boost peace process in Geneva
- 13.02.2017Putin-Trump meeting possible before July: Kremlin
- 13.02.2017CEC: Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov wins 3rd Turkmenistan presidential term
- 10.02.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey won’t recognize annexation of Crimea