Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
Russia will be prepared to provide active assistance to Armenia and Turkey when they sit down at the negotiating table, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an interview with the Armenian magazine Regional Post - Caucasus.
The text of the interview was posted on the Russian Foreign Ministry’s website on Thursday, APA reported citing TASS.
The minister said Russia played an important role in restoring the relations between Armenia and Turkey during the active phase of this process in 2007-2009, noting that the normalization process subsequently stalled and by now has come to a complete halt."
"It is of principle importance, though, that the sides have demonstrated the ability to reach agreement and take serious and responsible decisions," he noted. "I am convinced that Armenia and Turkey are able to resolve the current problems."
"That said, quite a lot depends on themselves. After all, the quality of the politicians is measured not only by the depth of their realistic analysis of the objective difficulties, but also by their ability to be optimistic in order to fulfill the hopes and aspirations of their citizens. When Yerevan and Ankara sit at the negotiating table, Russia will be ready to provide them with most vigorous assistance," he emphasized.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2017Kremlin says not considering Lapshin’s extradition to Russia
- 18.07.2017Russia reiterates its restrained stance on North Korean issue settlement
- 18.07.2017Fire in Mosow high-rise extinguished - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Sargsyan: Russia’s sale of arms to Azerbaijan is most painful aspect of Armenia-Russia relations
- 16.07.2017Suspects in attack on Russian tourists in Abkhazia identified - security service
- 14.07.2017Russia's Putin hopes dialogue with Trump will continue
- 14.07.2017Lawmaker Zhirinovsky: United Russian-Armenian military group should be under Russian command
- 14.07.2017Russian Duma ratifies agreement to keep 49-year presence at Syrian naval and air base
- 14.07.2017Russia ratifies agreement on joint group of forces with Armenia
- 14.07.2017Moscow threatens to reduce number of American diplomats at US embassy
- 14.07.2017The State Duma will consider ratification of the agreement with Armenia
- 13.07.2017Sergei Lavrov: "Russia does not support Assad"
- 13.07.2017Boris Nemtsov killer sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 12.07.2017Russian defense adviser killed in militant attack in Hama, Syria
- 08.07.2017Putin: US position on Syria became more pragmatic
- 05.07.2017Astana, Washington sign 5-year defense cooperation plan
- 05.07.2017Anatoly Serdyukov to head Rostvertol’s board of directors
- 04.07.2017Chinese president says ties with Putin stronger than with any other leader
- 02.07.201710 people killed, 12 injured in bus, truck crash in Russia's Tatarstan
- 01.07.2017Putin has phone talks with Qatar, Bahrain on Gulf row
- 01.07.2017Almost 120 flights delayed in Moscow over heavy rainfall
- 30.06.2017Russia cuts contribution to Council of Europe
- 30.06.2017Number of Kyrgyz presidential candidates reaches 11
- 29.06.2017Medvedev:"Sanctions will still influence Russian economy in coming years"
- 28.06.2017Armenia concerned over Russia’s selling weapons to Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian serviceman killed in car bomb
- 27.06.2017Russia's Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State Tillerson discuss Syrian conflict
- 24.06.2017Russian Foreign Ministry: Conflict around Qatar should be settled by diplomatic means
- 23.06.2017Russian FM: US sanction pressure on Moscow 'illusory'
- 21.06.2017Russian Su-27 warns off NATO F-16 trying to approach defense minister’s plane over Baltic
- 20.06.2017Moscow confirms new Astana meeting on Syria slated for July 4-5
- 16.06.2017Russia's Caspian Flotilla launches exercises in Makhachkala
- 16.06.2017Putin: US Always Interfered in Russian Elections, Especially in 2012
- 15.06.2017Putin says Russia ready for constructive dialogue with USA
- 15.06.2017Putin: Russia will analyze situation in Donbass to take right decision
- 15.06.2017Putin says ready to cooperate with opposition
- 15.06.2017Lukashenko considers foreign interference in conflicts in post-Soviet territory unacceptable
- 15.06.2017Putin says not surprised over US Senate’s attempts to tighten anti-Russian sanctions
- 15.06.2017Famous Russian actor Alexei Batalov dies
- 14.06.2017Putin calls attempts to disturb world nuclear balance 'big mistake'
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia