Russia to assist Armenia-Turkey talks – Lavrov
Russia will be prepared to provide active assistance to Armenia and Turkey when they sit down at the negotiating table, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an interview with the Armenian magazine Regional Post - Caucasus.
The text of the interview was posted on the Russian Foreign Ministry’s website on Thursday, APA reported citing TASS.
The minister said Russia played an important role in restoring the relations between Armenia and Turkey during the active phase of this process in 2007-2009, noting that the normalization process subsequently stalled and by now has come to a complete halt."
"It is of principle importance, though, that the sides have demonstrated the ability to reach agreement and take serious and responsible decisions," he noted. "I am convinced that Armenia and Turkey are able to resolve the current problems."
"That said, quite a lot depends on themselves. After all, the quality of the politicians is measured not only by the depth of their realistic analysis of the objective difficulties, but also by their ability to be optimistic in order to fulfill the hopes and aspirations of their citizens. When Yerevan and Ankara sit at the negotiating table, Russia will be ready to provide them with most vigorous assistance," he emphasized.
Related news releases
- 30.05.2017Soldier dies as Russian transport plane crash-lands after training flight
- 30.05.2017Over 30,000 people in three Russian regions remain without electricity after storm
- 29.05.2017Storm in Moscow storm kills six people in Moscow
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani and Russian presidents expected to meet in June
- 27.05.2017Russian MP: "Estonia expels Russian diplomats in bid to get US support"
- 26.05.2017Moscow court orders arrest of four suspects of plotting terrorist attack
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister takes part in session of Council of CIS Defense Ministers
- 26.05.2017Russia conducts anti-terror exercises in Caspian Sea
- 26.05.2017Moldova's Chisinau Mayor Detained as Part of Corruption Probe
- 26.05.2017Moscow says date of de Mistura's visit to Russia yet to be set
- 25.05.2017Ukraine plans to stop railway communication with Russia
- 25.05.2017Over 500 people lost their homes in wildfires in Russia
- 24.05.2017CIS defense ministers to meet in Moscow
- 24.05.2017Maria Zakharova: "Mechanism of alerting on cyber attacks practically never used by US"
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 17.05.2017EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 16.03.2017Ukraine's national bank proposes sanctions against Russian banks
- 17.03.2017A protest action takes place in the center of Yerevan
- 17.03.2017Blast at coke factory in Zaporizhya claims four lives
- 16.03.2017Moscow believes restoration of co-op with Ankara will serve stability in South Caucasus
- 15.03.2017Putin, Sargsyan meet in Moscow
- 15.03.2017Liberal Democrats walk out of Duma session after corruption row with United Russia