Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has come close to establishing the instigator of the April 3 terrorist attack on the St. Petersburg metro, FSB Director Alexander Bortnikov told reporters, APA reported citing TASS.
"We are close to establishing him," Bortnikov said when asked if the instigator had been established.
The FSB director added that the investigation into the terrorist attack was underway.
The blast in a metro car between Tekhnologichesky Institut and Sennaya Ploshchad stations occurred on April 3. The attack killed 14 people as well as the suicide bomber, while as many as 102 people were injured. Another bomb was deactivated at Ploshchad Vosstaniya station. The Russian Investigative Committee said that the blast had been carried out by Akbardzon Dzhalilov, 22, a native of Kyrgyzstan who had obtained Russian citizenship.
On April 6, the Investigative Committee announced the detention of eight suspects, natives of Central Asian states, six of whom were detained in St. Petersburg and two were apprehended in Moscow.
A criminal case was launched under Article 205.3 of Russia’s Criminal Code (terrorist attack) and Article 222.2 (illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transport and carrying of explosive materials and explosive devices).
Later, another suspect named Abror Azimov was detained, who had allegedly trained the suicide bomber. On Thursday, Moscow’s Basmanny Disctrict Court will consider the arrest of his brother Arkam Azimov, detained on Wednesday in the Moscow region.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 21.04.2017Protest staged outside government building in Yerevan
- 21.04.2017Over half of Russians want Lenin’s body to be buried - poll
- 21.04.2017Unidentified gunman opens fire in FSB office in Russia’s Khabarovsk
- 19.04.2017Russia's FSB eliminates two Central Asian would-be terrorists in Vladimir region
- 19.04.2017OSCE Secretary General, Russian FM to mull Karabakh conflict
- 19.04.2017US F-22 fighter jets scrambled to intercept Russian strategic bombers near Alaska
- 18.04.2017Russian president congratulates Turkish counterpart on outcome of Turkey's Constitutional Referendum
- 18.04.2017Russia puts Moscow air defenses on high alert
- 18.04.2017Normandy Four states point out importance of Easter ceasefire in Donbass
- 17.04.2017Suspected organizer of St. Petersburg metro attack detained near Moscow
- 17.04.2017Russia to open embassy in self-proclaimed “Republic of Abkhazia”
- 14.04.2017Armenian opposition appeals to Constitutional Court to annul outcome of elections
- 14.04.2017Yuri Khachaturov appointed CSTO Secretary General
- 14.04.2017MP comments on Baku mosque demolition case
- 14.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers hold trilateral talks
- 14.04.2017Eurasian Economic Union endorses Moldova’s application for observer status
- 14.04.2017St.Peterburg teenager seriously injured as bomb goes off in his hands
- 13.04.2017Russian and Turkish presidents hold phone conversation
- 13.04.2017Belarus pays off $726 mln gas debt to Russia's Gazprom
- 13.04.2017Former head of Russia's Mari El Republic detained over suspected bribe-taking
- 12.04.2017Russia’s top diplomat demands probe into Syrian chemical attack
- 12.04.2017Putin says trust erodes under Trump, Moscow icily receives Tillerson
- 12.04.2017Russian, Iranian and Syrian foreign ministers to meet in Moscow
- 12.04.2017Putin: Almost half of foreign Islamic State militants are from CIS countries
- 12.04.2017Putin vows he won’t allow color revolutions in Russia
- 12.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow wants to know Trump administration’s real intentions
- 12.04.2017Putin says Russia's faith in US has waned since Trump's inauguration
- 12.04.2017Kazakhstan switches to Latin alphabet
- 12.04.2017Pentagon aims to weaken Syrian government’s forces — Russian Defense Ministry
- 12.04.2017Maria Zakharova says Tillerson’s statement on Syria is not 'an ultimatum'
- 09.04.2017Vladimir Putin orders to take all necessary measures after railway incident in Moscow
- 09.04.2017Fifty people seek medical assistance after Moscow rail accident
- 08.04.2017Lavrov to Tillerson: US attack in Syria plays Into terorists' hands
- 08.04.20175 passengers with traces of explosives on their hands detained in Moscow metro
- 08.04.2017Legendary Soviet cosmonaut Georgy Grechko dies
- 08.04.2017Russia warns of serious consequences from U.S. strike in Syria
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement