Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has come close to establishing the instigator of the April 3 terrorist attack on the St. Petersburg metro, FSB Director Alexander Bortnikov told reporters, APA reported citing TASS.
"We are close to establishing him," Bortnikov said when asked if the instigator had been established.
The FSB director added that the investigation into the terrorist attack was underway.
The blast in a metro car between Tekhnologichesky Institut and Sennaya Ploshchad stations occurred on April 3. The attack killed 14 people as well as the suicide bomber, while as many as 102 people were injured. Another bomb was deactivated at Ploshchad Vosstaniya station. The Russian Investigative Committee said that the blast had been carried out by Akbardzon Dzhalilov, 22, a native of Kyrgyzstan who had obtained Russian citizenship.
On April 6, the Investigative Committee announced the detention of eight suspects, natives of Central Asian states, six of whom were detained in St. Petersburg and two were apprehended in Moscow.
A criminal case was launched under Article 205.3 of Russia’s Criminal Code (terrorist attack) and Article 222.2 (illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transport and carrying of explosive materials and explosive devices).
Later, another suspect named Abror Azimov was detained, who had allegedly trained the suicide bomber. On Thursday, Moscow’s Basmanny Disctrict Court will consider the arrest of his brother Arkam Azimov, detained on Wednesday in the Moscow region.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2017Putin to meet with Macron in Paris on May 29
- 22.05.2017Russia, Turkey sign joint statement on mutual lifting of trade restrictions
- 22.05.2017Turkmenistan: Report claims deputy PM committed suicide
- 19.05.2017Jail term extended for “ex-defense minister” of Karabakh separatist regime
- 19.05.2017OSCE chief says current challenges to European security require cooperation
- 18.05.2017Ara Babloyan from ruling RPA elected Armenian parliament speaker
- 18.05.2017Armenian president accepts government’s resignation
- 18.05.2017Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- 17.05.2017EU, Ukraine sign visa liberalization agreement
- 17.05.2017One more Armenian soldier killed
- 17.05.2017Putin: Russia ready to provide US Congress with transcript of Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017UN: Economic growth in CIS to make up 1.4% this year, 2% in 2018
- 15.05.2017Russian MFA employee shoots wife, daughter to death, then commits suicide
- 12.05.2017Russia to welcome any US contribution to setting up de-escalation zones in Syria — Lavrov
- 11.05.2017EU Council of Ministers decides on visa-free regime for Ukraine
- 10.05.2017Putin, Abbas to meet in Sochi to discuss Mideast settlement
- 09.05.2017Ambassador says Russia military base in Armenia could be expanded
- 09.05.2017Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov to start visit to US on Tuesday
- 06.05.2017Russia says Syria de-escalation deal to take effect at midnight: agencies
- 05.05.2017Russian, German top diplomats agree to continue Normandy-format efforts
- 03.05.2017Russia hopes for steady development of relations with Turkey — Putin
- 03.05.2017First deputy chief of Armenian General Staff dismissed
- 03.05.2017Putin and Trump stress importance of anti-terrorism cooperation
- 02.05.2017Russian Military Adviser Killed In Syria - Russian MoD
- 02.05.2017Kremlin reveals what Putin and Trump discussed over the phone - UPDATED
- 02.05.2017Survey: Majority of Russians desire Putin’s re-election as President
- 01.05.2017Russian FM Lavrov, US State Secretary Tillerson agree on date of next meeting
- 29.04.2017Russian foreign ministry: US anti-missile systems in Eastern Europe violate INF Treaty
- 29.04.2017Charges filed against rectors of three private universities in Armenia
- 29.04.2017Over 20 feared buried after landslide hits southern Kyrgyzstan
- 28.04.2017Merkel to discuss Ukrainian crisis, Syria with Putin
- 28.04.2017Russian prosecutors confirm bid urging Interpol to put Ukraine’s ex-PM on wanted list
- 28.04.2017Russia's PM Medvedev thanks Turkish premier for help in evacuating crew of wrecked ship
- 27.04.201713 people indicted for theft from EU Armenia delegation grant funds - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017Russia says U.S. missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- 26.04.2017Sixth Moscow conference on int’l security kicks off
- 25.04.2017Russian schoolboy hospitalized after being attacked by lion
- 24.04.2017Georgian first lady’s brother sentenced to 4 years in prison
- 24.04.2017Mogherini: EU still has disagreements with Russia on Ukraine issue
- 22.04.2017Russian serviceman killed in Armenia
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement