Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has come close to establishing the instigator of the April 3 terrorist attack on the St. Petersburg metro, FSB Director Alexander Bortnikov told reporters, APA reported citing TASS.
"We are close to establishing him," Bortnikov said when asked if the instigator had been established.
The FSB director added that the investigation into the terrorist attack was underway.
The blast in a metro car between Tekhnologichesky Institut and Sennaya Ploshchad stations occurred on April 3. The attack killed 14 people as well as the suicide bomber, while as many as 102 people were injured. Another bomb was deactivated at Ploshchad Vosstaniya station. The Russian Investigative Committee said that the blast had been carried out by Akbardzon Dzhalilov, 22, a native of Kyrgyzstan who had obtained Russian citizenship.
On April 6, the Investigative Committee announced the detention of eight suspects, natives of Central Asian states, six of whom were detained in St. Petersburg and two were apprehended in Moscow.
A criminal case was launched under Article 205.3 of Russia’s Criminal Code (terrorist attack) and Article 222.2 (illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transport and carrying of explosive materials and explosive devices).
Later, another suspect named Abror Azimov was detained, who had allegedly trained the suicide bomber. On Thursday, Moscow’s Basmanny Disctrict Court will consider the arrest of his brother Arkam Azimov, detained on Wednesday in the Moscow region.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 83 protesters in Yerevan
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 11.04.2018Helicopter Crashes in Russian City of Khabarovsk
- 09.04.2018Russia’s Lavrov calls on Turkey to return Afrin to Damascus control
- 09.04.2018Kazakh TV presenter dies as her leg gets stuck in elevator door
- 09.04.2018Presidential inauguration held in Armenia
- 08.04.2018Russian Aerospace Forces to get three S-400 regimental sets this year — Defense Ministry
- 06.04.2018Russia appoints new ambassador to Armenia
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani President: "Our personal relations with Vladimir Putin are one of the major factors for successful bilateral relations"
- 04.04.2018Russian foreign intelligence chief says Washington’s system of vassalage has failed
- 04.04.2018Patrushev: Some countries claim to act as global prosecutors and judges all in one
- 03.04.2018NATO will not issue visa to new Russian diplomats
- 03.04.2018Russian CEC head presents presidential certificate to Putin
- 02.04.2018Moscow to accelerate delivery of S-400 system to Turkey
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement