Russia’s FSB close to establishing instigator of St. Petersburg metro attack
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has come close to establishing the instigator of the April 3 terrorist attack on the St. Petersburg metro, FSB Director Alexander Bortnikov told reporters, APA reported citing TASS.
"We are close to establishing him," Bortnikov said when asked if the instigator had been established.
The FSB director added that the investigation into the terrorist attack was underway.
The blast in a metro car between Tekhnologichesky Institut and Sennaya Ploshchad stations occurred on April 3. The attack killed 14 people as well as the suicide bomber, while as many as 102 people were injured. Another bomb was deactivated at Ploshchad Vosstaniya station. The Russian Investigative Committee said that the blast had been carried out by Akbardzon Dzhalilov, 22, a native of Kyrgyzstan who had obtained Russian citizenship.
On April 6, the Investigative Committee announced the detention of eight suspects, natives of Central Asian states, six of whom were detained in St. Petersburg and two were apprehended in Moscow.
A criminal case was launched under Article 205.3 of Russia’s Criminal Code (terrorist attack) and Article 222.2 (illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transport and carrying of explosive materials and explosive devices).
Later, another suspect named Abror Azimov was detained, who had allegedly trained the suicide bomber. On Thursday, Moscow’s Basmanny Disctrict Court will consider the arrest of his brother Arkam Azimov, detained on Wednesday in the Moscow region.
Related news releases
- 24.02.20183 Georgians kidnapped in South Ossetia
- 22.02.2018Russian President met with the heads and deputy defense ministers of several countries
- 22.02.2018Ex-Georgian leader banned entry to Ukraine till 2021
- 20.02.2018Ukrainian president signs Donbass reintegration law
- 20.02.2018Dozens of Russian, CIS citizens killed & injured in recent clashes in Syria – Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Russia summons Ukraine's representative over attack on building in Kiev
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 31.01.2018Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended
- 27.01.2018Russia says new U.S. sanctions are destructive step, will retaliate: RIA
- 26.01.201815 people die from hypothermia in Bishkek in January
- 25.01.2018Zakharova says Turkey is a difficult partner
- 25.01.2018Zakharova: ‘Any country’s destructive intervention in election campaign in Russia will be dealt with harshly’
- 25.01.2018Search operation for missing Russian fishing boat in Sea of Japan
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 20.04.2017Russia says metro bomber funded by 'international terrorists' in Turkey
- 21.04.2017State of counter-terror operation imposed in two districts in Dagestan
- 21.04.2017Russian army pilots in Armenia hold night trainings
- 19.04.2017FSB detains brother of St. Petersburg metro attack suspect
- 19.04.2017Russian journalist dies after attack in St. Petersburg
- 19.04.2017Ukrainian MP slams Zaporozhye regional council for “Armenian genocide” statement