Russia resumes flights to Egypt
Russia and Egypt have resumed direct flights after a more than two-year hiatus, officials said Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Aeroflot, Russia’s flagship carrier, landed in Cairo Wednesday with 120 passengers on board, according to officials at Cairo International Airport.
The first flight from Cairo to Moscow will be carried out Thursday, they added.
A total of six flights per week are planned to Moscow.
In October 2015, a passenger plane went down as it left Egypt’s Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, killing all 224 people on board. Most of the passengers were Russian tourists. A Daesh affiliate claimed responsibility for the incident.
While Russia said the plane was brought down by a bomb, Egyptian authorities insisted that an investigation into the incident was still going on.
In February of the following year, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi admitted that the plane was brought down by terrorists seeking to damage the country’s tourism industry and relations with Russia.
Last December, Egypt’s Civil Aviation Minister Sherif Fathi and Russian Transportation Minister Maksim Sokolov signed an aviation security agreement in a step towards resuming flights between the two countries.
In 2015, Russian and British nationals accounted for roughly 40 percent of all tourists visiting Egypt, according to official figures.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Armenian opposition bloc to nominate protest leader Pashinyan as PM
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s Dashnaktsutyun leaves ruling coalition
- 25.04.2018Armenia’s acting sport minister resigns
- 25.04.2018West conceals details of military drills from Russian inspectors — foreign ministry
- 25.04.2018Acing PM issues statement over cancellation of meeting with Nikol Pashinyan
- 25.04.2018Leader of Karabakh separatists called on Pashinyan for dialogue
- 25.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry comments on US missile defense system’s buildup
- 24.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan says ready to be Armenia’s premier
- 24.04.2018Russia says no decision yet on delivery of S-300 missiles to Syria
- 23.04.2018Armenian PM Serzh Sargsyan resigns - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Kremlin calls events in Armenia domestic affair, says Russia won’t meddle
- 23.04.2018Armenia’s delegation to PACE returns to Yerevan
- 23.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan released from detention center
- 22.04.2018Militants hand 30 armored vehicles to Russian military in Syria
- 22.04.2018Armenian President meets Serzh Sargsyan after talk with opposition leader
- 21.04.2018Nine gunmen plotting terror attack on May Day shot dead in Dagestan
- 21.04.2018Storm in Moscow leaves 2 dead, 12 people injured - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Russian media company correspondent killed in Syria
- 20.04.2018Pashinyan: Situation is not under Serzh Sargsyan’s control
- 20.04.2018Democratic Party sues Russia, Trump campaign for allegedly disrupting 2016 election
- 20.04.2018Armenian police detain 183 opposition activists - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Putin, Trump will not allow armed confrontation between Russia, US – Lavrov
- 19.04.2018Nikol Pashinyan: "We resume action of total blocking of Yerevan streets"
- 19.04.2018Russia and US may be left without direct flights due to Aeroflot’s visa difficulties
- 19.04.2018Militants who attacked UN Mission in Douma were warned in advance
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?